Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't made much progress in my search for a quieter Camry. I really like my new LE, but the road noise over worn pavement is really annoying. I've considered different tires and adding sound insulation, but I'm not sure either will be effective. Perhaps smaller wheels (and taller sidewalls to absorb sound)? Does anyone own an L with 16" wheels?

This is apparently an issue for many brands. The Lexus forums are full of complaints, and buyers spend $40-$100k for those. Same with Infinity, Acura, Audi, etc. Cars seem to be noisier today than they were 10 or 20 years ago. A real shame considering advances in technology. Honda says it offers an improved active noise reduction system in all the new Accords, so I may test drive one this week.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well I cam say this. My wife and I owned several mazdas and the camry is by far quiter than any of the mazdas. I traded a veloster for my camry and the camry is much quiter than the veloster. And we currently own a 2016 Sorento and the camry is quiter than it as well. So to me the camrys road noise seems pretty good. Even with mine on 19 inch wheels.

The only annoying noise is the wind noise from the driver side window.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. I'm sure some people are more sensitive than others to different parts of the sound spectrum. Interestingly, the slight driver's side wind noise doesn't bother me that much.

·
Registered
663 Posts
None of the cars I have came from are what I'd call quiet. So to me the camry is pretty quiet. But I'm sure compared to many other cars the camry would be louder.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Another fix would be to go drive a 2014 Accord LX with original tires on it. WOW. Painfully loud. I put Goodyear Assurance on there and it made a world of difference. Still, the 2015 Camry I had was much quieter. I THINK my 2018 Camry LE is quietest of them all, but, I no longer have the 2015 Camry to compare..the 18 Camry is certainly quieter than the 14 Accord with Assurance tires, though. And, MUCH smoother on both Camry's over rough road surfaces.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In term of road noise, I think 18 Camry is doing great job to keep the road noise out of the cabin compare to other brand's. I am driving 18 Camry XSE with 19" wheel and I don't hear much of road noise beside engine noise when the car is in low gear. One thing you can reduce the road noise is to apply under coat to your car. That will reduce the noise quite a bit and keep your car from getting rusted by winter salt. I know that a lot of people say that won't have any effect. I don't know if it is true, but I still did it on my Camry.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I haven't made much progress in my search for a quieter Camry. I really like my new LE, but the road noise over worn pavement is really annoying. I've considered different tires and adding sound insulation, but I'm not sure either will be effective. Perhaps smaller wheels (and taller sidewalls to absorb sound)? Does anyone own an L with 16" wheels?

This is apparently an issue for many brands. The Lexus forums are full of complaints, and buyers spend $40-$100k for those. Same with Infinity, Acura, Audi, etc. Cars seem to be noisier today than they were 10 or 20 years ago. A real shame considering advances in technology. Honda says it offers an improved active noise reduction system in all the new Accords, so I may test drive one this week.

Any thoughts?
Honda is nice but no different from noise than my Camry and I just drove one a week ago. Their special noise cancelling is just a fancy way of them saying they raise the volume in speakers to compensate. I can do same thing I like hearing the noise I dont want something to artifically drown out a noise that might signal an issue.

Keep in mind materials have to be lighter to reduce weight and improve fuel economy, there will be trade offs. I can tell you I have not been in a car that reduced/eliminated road noise with the exception of ultra high premium brands like Rolls and Bentley who pride themselves in creating that environment.

Me personally road noise does not bother me I dont want to be so isolated from my driving experience that I hear nothing, but thats just me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used to have a 2010 Milan with 17" tires and they undercarriage-coated it. It may have made a slight difference to road noise but it may have been psychological. I think I remember an improvement when I went to Michelin Primacy and Premier tires. My perception driving my XLE V6 now with about 1800 miles so far, with the Hankook tires, is road noise seems less than my Milan as well as engine noise heard inside the cabin, but road noise is still pronounced going over pavement. Luckily for me I don't drive on pavement too often. I do hear the driver's side wind noise that others mention especially when it is windy out and on the highway. What I'm not sure about is if the wind noise is more than my old car or it just seems like it is more because other noises are reduced. I don't know if this wind noise is fixable and I should ask the dealer about it or not, or if it's just characteristics of the car. (Someone said it may have to do with the vortex generator.) I do intend to put Michelins on my car when the originals wear out, anyway. I am hoping that will help reduce road noise further plus I think they are better tires overall.

As an aside I think I've been hearing a vibration somewhere around the dash area when going over very bumpy road and I haven't been able to pin it down. Otherwise I haven't heard any rattles/squeaks. Luckily my Milan didn't have any either which I thought was a miracle for a Ford. It had lots of other problems though.

I know my same model comes with Bridgestone tires also. It just happened that the one I got in a different color has Hankook, otherwise it was the same car. I test drove both but I don't think I noticed too much difference but it's hard to tell on a short drive on asphalt and the sales guy wants to keep talking to you.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,519 Posts

Any thoughts?
Remove a door card and you'll understand why the car is pretty noisy. I wouldn't say the Camry is noisy, but it ain't quiet for sure. Maybe the gen 8 is quieter compared to gen 7 and 7.5 in some frequency ranges, but overall noise level hasn't changed. If you are DIY person, you can drop the noise level yourself by sound insulating doors (especially front doors), front and rear wheel wells, rear deck and roof. $120-150 should buy you enough material to do the whole car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to have a 2010 Milan with 17" tires and they undercarriage-coated it. It may have made a slight difference to road noise but it may have been psychological. I think I remember an improvement when I went to Michelin Primacy and Premier tires. My perception driving my XLE V6 now with about 1800 miles so far, with the Hankook tires, is road noise seems less than my Milan as well as engine noise heard inside the cabin, but road noise is still pronounced going over pavement. Luckily for me I don't drive on pavement too often. I do hear the driver's side wind noise that others mention especially when it is windy out and on the highway. What I'm not sure about is if the wind noise is more than my old car or it just seems like it is more because other noises are reduced. I don't know if this wind noise is fixable and I should ask the dealer about it or not, or if it's just characteristics of the car. (Someone said it may have to do with the vortex generator.) I do intend to put Michelins on my car when the originals wear out, anyway. I am hoping that will help reduce road noise further plus I think they are better tires overall.

As an aside I think I've been hearing a vibration somewhere around the dash area when going over very bumpy road and I haven't been able to pin it down. Otherwise I haven't heard any rattles/squeaks. Luckily my Milan didn't have any either which I thought was a miracle for a Ford. It had lots of other problems though.

I know my same model comes with Bridgestone tires also. It just happened that the one I got in a different color has Hankook, otherwise it was the same car. I test drove both but I don't think I noticed too much difference but it's hard to tell on a short drive on asphalt and the sales guy wants to keep talking to you.
Interesting about the Milan--haven't seen one for a while. In my experience, the Hankooks are a bit noisier than Michelins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
spend some money on some sound deadening, and dont cheap out, it will defentily make a difference, but u have to do doors, floor, and headliner, but as an added bonus your sound system will sound so much better too

·
Registered
5 toyotas,
528 Posts
I'm not sure how new your car is exactly, but if within a year from new and reasonable miles, say under 15k or so
I would ask toyota to install better tires (michelin). call customer experience center and ask for goodwill, if the tires are
simply wearing and have low tread , noise will occur. I really like michelin tires for quiet and smooth ride and decent wear. the sound deadening idea will help as well, your call.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
WHAT tires are on the car? This makes the single biggest difference from car to car. Most of the OEM junk (Conti ProContact, Bridgestone EL400, Firestone FR710) are whatever the mfr's can strike a deal with for as cheaply as possible with the tire mfr.

If they're Bridgestone, throw them away. I've found the Pirelli P7 Plus to be an exceptionally quiet tire (in run-flat form, it's very loud, but the normal version isn't). Michelin Premier, meh. MXV4 are pretty quiet; MXM4 are extremely loud.

Buick actually installs tires on the new Regal that have foam insulation on the inside walls of the tires, and actually driving one, I believe it does make a difference (that, and GM usually does sound insulation pretty well these days).

Road noise has always been an issue for the Japanese brands, but Toyota USED to do it (and build quality) a lot better than most brands. The Gen 3 and 5 Camrys were very quiet cars. They have definitely slipped in that aspect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quieter than the Accord and Tesla Model S

I test drove a 2018 Accord Touring after I bought my 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE, and the Accord seemed louder to me, particularly the engine noise. My Camry is also slightly quieter than my last car, a 2014 Tesla Model S, and softer overall. Like others, I have the driver side wind noise, which I guess is just part of the deal. I am a fanatic for a quiet car, and this one is OK for me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Coming from 2011 Ford Fusion to 14.5 Camry SE Sport. The Camry has significantly louder road noise, especially on less than ideal pavement. I was disappointed by that and a bit surprised. It's not so loud I'd want to add a lot of sound dampening weight though. I'm getting new wheels and tires this Sat. Maybe that'll improve it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WHAT tires are on the car? This makes the single biggest difference from car to car. Most of the OEM junk (Conti ProContact, Bridgestone EL400, Firestone FR710) are whatever the mfr's can strike a deal with for as cheaply as possible with the tire mfr.

If they're Bridgestone, throw them away. I've found the Pirelli P7 Plus to be an exceptionally quiet tire (in run-flat form, it's very loud, but the normal version isn't). Michelin Premier, meh. MXV4 are pretty quiet; MXM4 are extremely loud.

Buick actually installs tires on the new Regal that have foam insulation on the inside walls of the tires, and actually driving one, I believe it does make a difference (that, and GM usually does sound insulation pretty well these days).

Road noise has always been an issue for the Japanese brands, but Toyota USED to do it (and build quality) a lot better than most brands. The Gen 3 and 5 Camrys were very quiet cars. They have definitely slipped in that aspect.
The LE came stock with the 17" Michelin X Green. I suppose these are a bit harder than other tires to get better mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only complaint I have with the 2018 Camry SE Hybrid is when driving in the payment groves that have standing water in them you here the rush of water being thrown into the wheelwell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I finally got around to trying to find where some of the road/tire noise is coming from. I first did a sound measurement using dbX app on my phone on a very worn stretch of asphalt going 55 mph. Several runs showed a consistent reading of 79-80 db's. That's loud! Suspecting that a lot of noise was coming from the trunk, I stuffed it tight with large blankets and pillows, then test again. The difference was very noticeable and the db was reduced to 75-76. This gave me enough confidence to spring for some sound deadening insulation. It should arrive next week. I will need some help in doing the doors, but will let everyone know the final verdict.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Interesting thread. Try Michelin Pilot Sports. They were always quiet on my BMW M cars. Quieter yes, handling superb, however they last about 9k miles.

I will have to say, I am kinda in awe of all the downing of the Camry, all over this forum. I got my SE right before Christmas. I love it. The Entune 3.0 is ok at best, the car isn’t as quiet as a Mercedes, BMW, Aston, or Bentley. Then I look at the $55k-$290k price tags. So I guess bottom line (for me anyway), we all didn’t spend $55k for a base premium brand car. We spent anywhere from $17,4-$38k for a loaded out vehicle.

I read about the Lexus having sound issues also. This isn’t a premium brand car either in my opinion. Disclaimer-high price doesn’t mean premium branding. It’s a hooked up Toyota, Infiniti is a hopped up Nissan, Acura is a hopped up Honda.

I guess bottom line for me, it’s an excellent car for the money. If I had $85k+ to spend, I would expect some of these things. I spent $26k, and the vehicle is worth every penny of it.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts