Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have declined to use some of the tools available to reduce robocalls. None of my existing 7 phones have caller ID feature and subscribing to that service plus replacing all my phones is not low bucks. Noticed that most robocallers do not leave answering machine messages-- so one technique is to let ALL calls go to the answering machine and pickup if the caller begins a message and I wish to speak with them.
Another is my technique. Let the phone ring 3 times, pickup and say; "Hello, this phone has been answered by a real live person. If you are a real live person, please start talking now. "
The robocall machine interprets that as an answering machine and disconnects. Genuine callers often hesitate and then start talking.
Even though we have the option of hanging up immediately, answering and just saying Hello permits the robocaller to establish a time pattern when you are home. Here the same robocaller calls about the same times every day, about 4 times every day.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
1,803 Posts
Haven't had a phone connected to the home line for a few years now (mainly because the handset batteries kept dying and we couldn't be bothered buying new ones) but when it was still working we would screen all calls by default. Mobile numbers are similar, anything important enough on a private number will leave a voicemail and I get very few calls from people I know anyway outside of a small circle (which are all set up as contacts with caller ID and personalised ringtones)

Robocalls aren't anywhere near as big a thing over here (except for Chinese embassy scam calls which are also entirely in Mandarin, and around election time), telemarketers in general on the other hand are much more prevalent but they are easy to pick as they always ring around the same time of day plus there is a pause before they actually start talking (probably because they're waiting to see if it goes through to the answering machine and don't expect people to pick up much anyway), and once you pick the pattern you can ignore them easily.

It's actually one of the few benefits of a society moving away from phonecalls to texts/emails...

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,903 Posts
Truthfully, the last time I had a live person robocaller a few months back I tried the ignore tactic, but these people were relentless calling six or so times every day. I finally got fed up with the phone ringing repeatedly, plus the galling fact of literally being harassed by those assholes, so I took it to the next level. Next time the woman called I answered and said, "You know, you've called the wrong person. I've put up with your harassment long enough and now I'm coming after you. No, I don't mean the place of business, but you personally. If you don't think I don't have the cyber capability to track down your geophysical location even with all the counter-detection tactics you're undoubtedly using you've got another think coming. You've pissed off the wrong person because my Kung Fu is better than your's and I'm coming to your location and you better grow eyes in the back of your head...."

Click.

Never got a call since. Thing of it was, I wasn't bluffing and not afraid to state what I said to her since no crime on my part was committed. Still, if the calls had persisted I would have followed through with the threat. I'm fed up with criminals in this country getting away with most anything they want toward law-abiding citizens because legislators, regulators, and lawyers reckon criminals better than they do law-abiding citizens. Gasp if you will that someone would take the law into their own hands, but when the law isn't on your side and leaves you with nothing, well, sometimes you need to be proactive to protect yourself. That's my take on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts