Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've had my blue FJ now for a week. love it! I am over missing my Tacoma. ;) I am still supposed to get a few things from Toyota that were missing... like the all-weather mats, etc. I am debating about the rock rails. I wanted some kind of running boards so that my son can eventually get out of the back seat on his own, but the parts guy advised against it for off-road. He thought I should get the rock rails and then go to Kragen or whatever for a "step" that can be added on to the rock rail, and then just taken off with an allen wrench as needed. advice??

Other accessories that I want would be ski rack, bicycle rack, box for the roof rack for more storage on trips... what should I get? Toyota's, or some after market stuff? I haven't researched many options yet -- thought I'd just check here first. :) thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
boards/ rails and racks -- more questions

Ok, so after the Toyota parts guy telling me that running boards don't exist for the FJ, I went online and found them (they are under "individual options" when you go to "build your own FJ", for $345). Then today as I'm waiting for info on some other stuff, in rolls an FJ with these very same running boards. After apparently MUCH research, they just called to say they'd be $1700 to special order and install. NO THANKS. Guess I'll wait until next year when more FJ stuff should be more available, or get some after market boards, or get the FJ rock rails. ugh!!!

Now I have to decide about ski and bike racks... I am kind of annoyed with my local dealership at the moment, which makes me want to buy Thule or some other such thing, NOT Toyota.

Has anyone seen bike racks for the FJ that would go on the rear door rather than the roof rack?? I'm tall, but I can envision getting bikes on and off the roof is going to be kind of a pain...

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you're thinking of having add-ons on your car, you should first think of the safety on your son. Running boards are more important than those of roof rack which can be purchased later on. They are very affordable so you won't worry of its cost.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have Trail-Gear sliders installed on mine. They extend far enough that they can be used by as a step. They're $299 + shipping and come powder coated black.

·
"Great White 2"
2,066 Posts
Toyota does make steps that can be attached to the rock rails.

FITS FJ'S WITH ROCK RAILS ONLY ! WILL NOT FIT WITH RUNNING BOARDS. Give your FJ Cruiser a boost!

KIT COMES WITH 2 STEPS INCLUDED
• Steps attach directly to the Genuine Toyota Rock Rails.
• Turns the Rock Rails into a fully functional step for getting in and out of the FJ.
• Helps when reaching items stored on the Roof Rack - like luggage, bikes and ski/snowboards.
• Just a couple of bolts for each one make them easy to install (when in town) and take off (for off-roading).
• Made of the highest quality steel with a black zinc powder coat finish.
KIT COMES WITH 2 STEPS INCLUDED

YOUR CHOICE TO PUT FOR FRONT DOORS ONLY OR
ORDER 2 SETS IF YOU NEED 2 STEPS ON EACH SIDE

TOYOTA PART # PTS32-35070

FITS ALL FJCRUISERMODELS
WITH ROCK RAILS

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are planning on offroading do not get the peadator steps, they screw in to the underside of the body and will ripp off on a rock or a stump damaging your undercairrage. ask me how I know. You can get the bolt on steps if you have the OEM rails, they are pretty nice, but I wouldnt want to bolt em on and off every time I decide to hit the dirt. Yor best bet would be aftermarket sliders. some good ones are Demello offroad, AllPro, Man A Fre, and the cheap but effective trail gear as mentioned above. They function as a step, as well as panel and body protection, and they all bolt directly to the frame so they are solid!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts