Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
In The REAL Norcal...
2005 Taco DC 4X4
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that haul bikes around....bought these about 3 weeks ago....they work great, hold very securely......Also you can lock the bike in.......although if someone wants your bike bad enough........

Here's some pics.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rocky Mount

These Mounts Do Rule!!!

For Extra Security I Bought A Kryptonite Locking Cable From Lowes The Thickest They Had And Put That Throught The D-ring On The Bed Near The Tail Gate And Then I Put The Cable Through The Rear Triangle Of The Bike. That Way The Frame Is Secured Even If They Get The Fork Loose.

p.s. the mounting hardware that comes with the mount sucks, I had the bike in the back and went down a pretty rough dirt road and the hole thing (mount w/fork and bike in it) popped out of the rail. I went to Lowes and got some washers to slide in the track. Now it is much more snug, not coming out.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
SR5TACO said:
p.s. the mounting hardware that comes with the mount sucks, I had the bike in the back and went down a pretty rough dirt road and the hole thing (mount w/fork and bike in it) popped out of the rail. I went to Lowes and got some washers to slide in the track. Now it is much more snug, not coming out.
You mean those oval shaped things don't stay put? Crud, I was gonna make up a set of those to hold my Yakima fork mount in place. Please let me know.

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
I bet if you had two mounts spread all the way apart you could put two bikes in the middle, alternating forwards and backwards to accomodate the bar widths, and bungee them without extra mounts...letting the outside bikes be the support...

·
Registered
Paseo/Tacoma
379 Posts
fpcat said:
I was thinking of ordering these. Has anyone tried to get 4 bikes in with these? 2 Road/2 Mountain.
If you had the rail cross bar you could mount two bike mounts on it near the end of the bed and have 4 bikes together. Two facing forward, two facing backwards. If you had them all facing the same direction the handlebars would probably all get in the way of each other.

·
Registered
Paseo/Tacoma
379 Posts
http://www.shoprockymounts.com/011.html

They even have one designed for the rail system

vendeta2k said:
I think they were 32 a piece w/ locks........think you can gett'm cheaper with just a skewer w/o a lock......
Where did you get them for this price and was it the Clutch SD? I can only find them for $36

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ordered 2 of these today, direct from Rocky Mounts. Apperently no one in Canada had this in stock, so they were nice enough to ship 'em to me. Great service, highly recommended.

I like the idea of bungeeing 2 bikes between the 2 in the racks. Carrying 4 bikes is for a long road trip that'll only be done once in a while, so that sounds like a good solution.

Thanks for all the advice. Hope they arrive in time for the trip!

·
In The REAL Norcal...
2005 Taco DC 4X4
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FP.....before you install them, go to the hardware store and get 4 fender washers.....size 3/8 center hole by 1 inch diameter.....pull out the end plastic pieces inside the rail system ( they just slide out..) insert the 1 inch washer between the normal back piece and the edge of the rail......this will keep them from falling out.....which has been known to happen on rough roads........it actually happened to me on smooth asphalt going around a corner.....luckily the bike fell into the truck not out! I'll post up a pic in a bit to show you what I'm talking about......

·
Unleashed....
2005 Tacoma V6
212 Posts
same story....save your change...get a locking skewer and you're all set...:)

about $11 per mount...i'd pick the rocky mounts w/ the locking skewer though over my setup...;)..or you can go w/ yakima locks.

this setup doesn't work w/ roll up tonneau ...:rolleyes:...you will need spacers.....:hammer::eek:

if you have any questions...please PM novataco :lol:...and me ...:D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.