Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
FBJXR
'05 X-Runner
104 Posts
theflavor said:
If you had the rail cross bar you could mount two bike mounts on it near the end of the bed and have 4 bikes together. Two facing forward, two facing backwards. If you had them all facing the same direction the handlebars would probably all get in the way of each other.
if you use single mounts on each long side of the bed you could fit around 6 bikes in the bed. i have fit 4 but i am sure you could fit atleast six plus gear

·
Registered
21 Posts
My bike mounts arrived today, much sooner than I expected! I'm very impressed with the quality, these mounts are built to last.

The hardware store was closed by the time I got home from work, so I still need to pick up the washers (a needed addition, I can see why it is recommened).

Thanks for the advice!

·
Toy Machine
282 Posts
vendeta2k said:
Another "mod" that I added to my Rocky Mounts was swapping the socket heads bolts for "button head" allen bolts.

The rounded head makes it more difficult for someone to simply remove the mounts with a pair of pliers.

I've also thought about using Torx head bolts, as it's even less likely that someone would have a Torx driver handy when they thought about snagging the Rocky Mounts from my truck.

--Eric

·
Registered
370 Posts
so it's a consensus that these rocky mountains are laterally much stiffer than the toyota mounts? i have to tie my bike down so that it doesnt sway when cornering/driving over bumps, etc.. i dont want it to sway because i dont want to put undue forces on my fork..

thumbs up from everyone in terms of lateral stiffness?

thanks

·
In The REAL Norcal...
2005 Taco DC 4X4
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah, they are way stiff laterally.....they only thing you "might" want to do is run a bungy from back corner to back corner through the rear wheels if your gonna really rip over some ruff stuff........

·
Only 48 more payments.
2005 Toyota Tacoma
420 Posts
coloradotaco said:
so it's a consensus that these rocky mountains are laterally much stiffer than the toyota mounts? i have to tie my bike down so that it doesnt sway when cornering/driving over bumps, etc.. i dont want it to sway because i dont want to put undue forces on my fork..

thumbs up from everyone in terms of lateral stiffness?

thanks
No comparison! If you mount these correctly and tighten them down, they move no where! Great product! :clap:

·
FBJXR
'05 X-Runner
104 Posts
isnt it a pain in the ass every time you guys need to remove those? i just never know if i will need to put one of the rings where the fork mount could be sitting so i dont want to put anything in the rail that is this permanent.

·
In The REAL Norcal...
2005 Taco DC 4X4
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It's really not that bad.....I carry the torx wrench that came with it in the center console.....takes about 20 seconds to get them out......just unloosen a couple turns and slide out.....

·
Registered
Paseo/Tacoma
379 Posts
57HotrodVW said:
I've also thought about using Torx head bolts, as it's even less likely that someone would have a Torx driver handy when they thought about snagging the Rocky Mounts from my truck.

--Eric
Have you seen these in stores or would you have to order online? I went to my local Lowe's and they didn't carry torx bolts only torx screws. I'll have to check Home Depot next time I'm near one.

1 inch fender washers are a must for this mount the bolt that comes with it is shaped like an oval and is easily dislodged from the rail with some side-to-side force. When testing it I noticied that some of the paint on the mounts was coming off from the rubbing. So I decided to make one more small addition to the mounting hardware, a small rubber washer between the mount and the rail.

It also makes it feel slightly tighter and it only cost about 75 cents for two

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.