Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Paseo/Tacoma
379 Posts
I know this is digging up an old thread, but the company that most of us are buying these from is having a winter appreciation sale....

This Thanksgiving, we're saying thanks three ways!
Simply visit any of the three websites listed above, and use
coupon code THANKS06 at order checkout and
receive an additional 10% off your order.*
these items excluded: all Yakima/Thule cargo roof boxes & Karhu XCD Guide skis

http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/ors-rd-emails/ors-rd-email-1106-static.htm

·
Registered
370 Posts
has anyone tried mounting an adapter to one of these clutch sds to carry a bike with a Fox Float 36 with a through axle?

·
Registered
06 Tacoma DC 4X4
22 Posts
My Racks

Here are some pictures of my Bike Racks Setup.

The most recent addition has been two RV-Inno Fork mount racks on the factory rack. These are direct attach rack. I went with these because the mounting is a little sleeker than the Rocky Mount rack and they come setup for disc while the Rocky Mounts require a seperate purchase. The only tweaking I did with them was to put a thin rubber gasket material on the outer mount in the front to level up the mount since the factory rack has a slight curve to them. The pictures are not the best but it what is on the hard driver already. (Also there is a lift, wheels and shoes in this truck's future ;)

I also adapted a Thule fairing to work in the front. This required a bit of work with a belt sander to get the wings to fit the way I wanted them to.

Attaching the fairing to the factory rack took a bit of work as well. I ended up cutting off the thule attaching rectangle and making a slot in the bracket with a dremel tool. I then ran a 2" diameter hose clamp that I had previously dipped with "Plastic Dip" to turn it black and to provide better traction to the bar. What you don't see in the picture is I later got rid of the gap between the bottom of the fairing and cab using some Armiflex Insulation tape to the bottom of the fairing. The combination of the two drastically reduced the wind noise of the racks.

Here is a close of the attachment setup to the factory crossbar.

So that provides for two bike on the roof. I don't plan on these seeing too much use. I really only needed one but I needed symmetry :D

My main workhorse bike rack is a frankenstein setup across the bed which I really like. It is made of two performace Xport truck bed rack bars that squeeze into the side of the bed. I have the two of these turned so that the hinges are on the same side. I have two Sportwork/Thule upright carriers that are bolted to the bars which make the whole thing pretty rigid. In between the upright carriers are split fork mounts and trays. The upright carriers have the bikes facing backwards and the fork mounts forwards. I also have two front wheel carriers on the front bar.

There was some slight dremel action required to the "bearing sleeve" with the upright carriers as the cross bars are square and the sleeve is designed for the Thule rectangle or Yakima round bars.

What I really like about this setup is it locks into bed plenty tight and even with a full rack including a couple of downhill bikes you can not knock this rack loose. (I unexpectedly tried on the dirt road to Gooseberry Mesa Utah earlier this year). To take it out you simply unlock both bars, press the buttons, unhinge it and take the whole thing out. Takes about a minute. Now if seating for five and rack space for six bikes does not sound right to you, then you obviously do not have enough bikes yet :D

·
Registered
Paseo/Tacoma
379 Posts
theflavor said:
I know this is digging up an old thread, but the company that most of us are buying these from is having a winter appreciation sale....

This Thanksgiving, we're saying thanks three ways!
Simply visit any of the three websites listed above, and use
coupon code THANKS06 at order checkout and
receive an additional 10% off your order.*
these items excluded: all Yakima/Thule cargo roof boxes & Karhu XCD Guide skis

http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/ors-rd-emails/ors-rd-email-1106-static.htm
Here is another 10% code for some good bike mounts....

Code: SPRING2007

http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/ors-rd-emails/ors-rd-email-0307-static.htm

·
Registered
50 Posts
MTBBill said:
Here are some pictures of my Bike Racks Setup.

The most recent addition has been two RV-Inno Fork mount racks on the factory rack. These are direct attach rack. I went with these because the mounting is a little sleeker than the Rocky Mount rack and they come setup for disc while the Rocky Mounts require a seperate purchase. The only tweaking I did with them was to put a thin rubber gasket material on the outer mount in the front to level up the mount since the factory rack has a slight curve to them. The pictures are not the best but it what is on the hard driver already. (Also there is a lift, wheels and shoes in this truck's future ;)

I also adapted a Thule fairing to work in the front. This required a bit of work with a belt sander to get the wings to fit the way I wanted them to.

Attaching the fairing to the factory rack took a bit of work as well. I ended up cutting off the thule attaching rectangle and making a slot in the bracket with a dremel tool. I then ran a 2" diameter hose clamp that I had previously dipped with "Plastic Dip" to turn it black and to provide better traction to the bar. What you don't see in the picture is I later got rid of the gap between the bottom of the fairing and cab using some Armiflex Insulation tape to the bottom of the fairing. The combination of the two drastically reduced the wind noise of the racks.

Here is a close of the attachment setup to the factory crossbar.

So that provides for two bike on the roof. I don't plan on these seeing too much use. I really only needed one but I needed symmetry :D

My main workhorse bike rack is a frankenstein setup across the bed which I really like. It is made of two performace Xport truck bed rack bars that squeeze into the side of the bed. I have the two of these turned so that the hinges are on the same side. I have two Sportwork/Thule upright carriers that are bolted to the bars which make the whole thing pretty rigid. In between the upright carriers are split fork mounts and trays. The upright carriers have the bikes facing backwards and the fork mounts forwards. I also have two front wheel carriers on the front bar.

There was some slight dremel action required to the "bearing sleeve" with the upright carriers as the cross bars are square and the sleeve is designed for the Thule rectangle or Yakima round bars.

What I really like about this setup is it locks into bed plenty tight and even with a full rack including a couple of downhill bikes you can not knock this rack loose. (I unexpectedly tried on the dirt road to Gooseberry Mesa Utah earlier this year). To take it out you simply unlock both bars, press the buttons, unhinge it and take the whole thing out. Takes about a minute. Now if seating for five and rack space for six bikes does not sound right to you, then you obviously do not have enough bikes yet :D
Seems like a lot of work for only six bikes. I like the set-up in the back if you have only two bikes, but what we ended up doing is just using fork mounts that attached to the forks on the length of the bed and lifting up the rear wheels to set what we needed under them. This way we took up less space. Here'a a pic....i know i've posted it before. When I put the top rack on it'll hold quite a few bikes. Haven't maxed it out but I'd guess around 16 if you used the top too.

I'm a big fan of the sportworks/now thule rack system. It's only drawback is the weight, especially the sportworks rear racks.

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
Bump!

I see where people mentioned they picked up the clutch SD for about $35. Anyone know where to still find them at that price? Everywhere I find is about $50 per mount:eek:

·
mall crawler
1,527 Posts
tacomaoffroad said:
yea, im interested in a good cheap mount. or maybe a diy mount that u can make. anyone have anything or any ideas?i dont want to spend more than $15 a mount. yes, i am very cheap.:lol:
i actually have two mounts that i will be taking off very soon here and will probably just be selling them for the price to ship them. i bought them for $10 a piece plus a dollar or so for hardware when i was in california.

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
Got my Rocky Mounts a couple weeks ago. So far I like them a lot. They claim to have improved their mounting system, so I haven't done the washer truck some have. Haven't had any troubles yet. Pricey though, $100 for the pair:ugh3:

Only thing is they don't work with those fancy forks with the 20mm thru-axles. My friend's bike won't fit with his fancy shmansy Fox fork. They do make an adapter to work with them, but that bastard is $50 too!

Anyone know any cheap tricks to accommodate those style forks?

·
don't punch the monkey
2007 Tacoma
632 Posts
Got my Rocky Mounts a couple weeks ago. So far I like them a lot. They claim to have improved their mounting system, so I haven't done the washer truck some have. Haven't had any troubles yet. Pricey though, $100 for the pair:ugh3:

Only thing is they don't work with those fancy forks with the 20mm thru-axles. My friend's bike won't fit with his fancy shmansy Fox fork. They do make an adapter to work with them, but that bastard is $50 too!

Anyone know any cheap tricks to accommodate those style forks?
i had read that they had new skewers (the old ones sucked balls).

do they actually work now?

the old ones after a couple of times putting bikes in they would become a major pain to close. the little metal "slide" would gouge the plastic of the handle.

I ditched the skewers that came with them and went with plain 3/8 non locking skewers.

they look alot nicer :thumbup:.

will have to look around to see if i can but just the locking skewers

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a couple of the improved design mounts and have never had any problems. I think they are well worth the 50 bucks.
I have one of the old designs that I bought off ebay. I liked it so much that I just ordered two new ones from Rocky Mounts and am anxious to install the ones with the new design.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.