Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people I am wondering if any of you have experience rodent damage?? I have a 2020 Toyota Highlander hybrid Platinum and I noticed there has been damaged to my interior my assumption is a mouse or a rat or some sort!! It ate my 2 rear 3rd row seat and all the cargo Matts are destroyed!!! One of the seat looks chewed!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
16,977 Posts
I think your right! Is it common where you live?
Lots of options, might start by putting some fabric softener sheets in or under the car.
It's Google time for a safe solution.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks like rodent damage to me.

Not sure what happened in your case but my cousin a few years back picked up some boxes out of storage, and left them inside the vehicle while he got called out on a two week emergency business trip. When he got back a bunch of mice that were in the boxes had chewed up both front seats, the rear bottom seat and a bunch of wires under the dash. Cost thousands.

An open window or unchecked items/boxes/etc. you leave inside always seem to be a main reason they get in there. The cabin seems pretty tight from outside mice infiltration, but they probably can still find a way?

·
Registered
2022 Highlander Platinum - Wind Chill Pearl
837 Posts
Hello people I am wondering if any of you have experience rodent damage?? I have a 2020 Toyota Highlander hybrid Platinum and I noticed there has been damaged to my interior my assumption is a mouse or a rat or some sort!! It ate my 2 rear 3rd row seat and all the cargo Matts are destroyed!!! One of the seat looks chewed!!
Get yourself a cat who lives in your Highlander. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in the country, next to a Forrest. Park outside as my boats in the garage. Personally never happened to me but in general VERY common. As mentioned above, very lucky to not have wiring damage as it can be an absolute pain to troubleshoot and thousands to address. Dryer sheets, Peopermint oil, steel wool maybe in any large crevices on car...spend some time researching it I’m sure there is some cool life hacks to prevent it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time I went into the trunk of a customers car and found mice I'd be rich.

We have to put traps in the shop because of them, we don't leave customer cars in the shop overnight if we can avoid it because of the little bastards,

Toyota uses soy based wiring insulation, and mice LOVE IT

Under the engine cover is a favorite place for them to eat.... when I go to FL for the winter and leave one of our Toyotas in the garage here, I pull the engine cover and put traps in the engine bay and all around the car.

·
ChairborneRanger
2013 Toyota Venza
31 Posts
I live on a ranch in Texas and my car sits outside. When I bought my 2013 Venza Ltd one day after work I got in the car and noticed it smelled awful on a hot summer day. I looked around and couldn't see anything and when I started it up and turned on the AC the smell went away. When I got home and shut it down the smell returned. On more thorough examination I discovered a dead rat lying on the cabin air filter.

Under the hood I found some of the sound deadening insulation had been chewed up as well as some wire insulation and the hose for the windshield washers which cost a few hundred dollars to repair. The dealership then told me it was a common problem and could have been A LOT worse (nice of them to warn me).

The suggested putting mothballs under the hood, spraying fox urine in the wheel wells, & a rodent repelling pepper spray on the wires and hoses. We have a predatory cat but it wasn't enough. I also fabricated some screens to keep them out of the air cleaner and some other spots.

Our US made vehicles don't have this problem and my Mazda does not appeal to them either. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sometimes when my Corolla wasn't driven for a few weeks I would find a small nest inside the air filter box made of insulation which I'm not sure where they acquired, and I have also found small insulation nests on top of the valve cover. Most likely field mice. It's not as common where I am now because there are feral cats around. I may be speaking too soon since I haven't gone anywhere in almost a week. I'll have to check under the hood before my next drive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Something chewed a bunch of wires on the top of my Lexus engine and lots of dash lights lit up. Fixed the wires and all was good. Only happened once in 50+ years of driving.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts