Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove the S and saw the TC firsthand. But now Im indecisive, which car should I get?
I want good mileage, good power, sporty, convientently priced and somewhat easy to modify..(lookin into lowerin it, add chrome wheels, better stereo, navigation dvd)... I am a young single man (college student)...

XRS demands premium gas (which is high in CA) and the TC get pretty bad mileage (in comparison). Yet the 'S' seems like the overall choice yet is 130 horses enuf!??

anyone wanna help me??

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
I can run regular in my XRS no prob - the only problem is - is that you loose some power

and no it doesnt wreck the engine :)

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
You're running regular in your XRS? I realize you work for a dealer but you're jeaprodizing your TMMC warranty.

The XRS's engine is higher compression and requires premium gas. Using regular gas will give you less compression and less power. Kinda pointless to even buy an XRS then. You'll get more engine buildup too...something that will be easy to spot by the dealer (and TCI) when you bring your engine in for warranty work.

·
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
My english must be slacking. I think I meant that you'd get less buildup with Premium fuel. And less knocking...forgot about that one (until I read another thread here). Engine knock is bad.

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
I only run regular when i am on the hwy - premium in the city

but according to the mechs the engine will adjust the timing for the regular and it will cause absolutely 0 dammage to the engine and it will not void any warantee's. - I made sure to check that out before i put the reg in :)

The car runs fine w/ regular but it has noticeably less power - but for hwy driving i still get 30+mpg using reg

Jeff

·
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Hummm....now you got me curious. I'll check that with the Toyota warranty guys and get back to ya's.

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
rolla-XRS said:
My english must be slacking. I think I meant that you'd get less buildup with Premium fuel. And less knocking...forgot about that one (until I read another thread here). Engine knock is bad.
no, u should get more build-up with premium fuel (though on an XRS, since it can take advantage it shouldnt' be a big diff) because premium us harder to burn.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. Considering the price difference between XRS and S, you would go for the S only if you do not like high performance cars and do not like manual transmissions. As for Scion TC and Corolla XRS, it would be subject to personal opinion. A few points:

- Stock Corolla XRS should be much faster than the Scion TC and has 'lift' in it. XRS is a lot more fun to drive as well. The 6 speed manual transmission is pure joy to drive. Corolla XRS is a lot more agile, responsive and handles better than the TC(TC is too heavy).

-Scion TC has good aftermarket support including a supercharger so if you are looking at modifying the car, TC is a very good choice. Although, there are a lot of new mods in the works at TRD for Corolla XRS as well.

- Scion TC has a bigger engine so it has more torque. If you like a torquey car then Corolla XRS's high revving engine might not be for you. But, hey TC has a Camry engine in it and the curb weight is almost the same as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts