Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 with 5 sp and now it starts to roll back after I have it off and in 1st gear. Meaning when I pull into my drive way. The driveway doesn't have a steep incline either. What could cause this? I looked at it today when it was doing it and the motor was turning as well, so I don't think the problem in the clutch.

·
Official TN Asshole
85 yota/ 99 audi s4
668 Posts
how much does it "roll back"

any manual especially an older one like ours' will move around a few inches while its parked. if you put it in gear, w/o the e-brake on, and push it, it should rock back a little bit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
well I think it's a compression problem...Get a compression tester and see if there within specs...I've own a number of honda's and they are known to have common problem of low compression.
And all the ones I've own if you park them on any kind of incline and DON'T put on the parking brake they will jump backwards then stop and when the compression goes low again it will jump back until it gets to a surface where there is no load on the engine and it will stop...And while it is jumping backwards the engine does turn.

Is that what it's doing just jumping backwards a little at a time? Or is it a constant never stopping rolling backwards?
Test compression and see if it's that problem...Good luck...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
john4wd said:
well I think it's a compression problem...Get a compression tester and see if there within specs...I've own a number of honda's and they are known to have common problem of low compression.
And all the ones I've own if you park them on any kind of incline and DON'T put on the parking brake they will jump backwards then stop and when the compression goes low again it will jump back until it gets to a surface where there is no load on the engine and it will stop...And while it is jumping backwards the engine does turn.

Is that what it's doing just jumping backwards a little at a time? Or is it a constant never stopping rolling backwards?
Test compression and see if it's that problem...Good luck...
It just jumps back alittle at a time, but not always though. I'll check the compression thanx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts