Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I have an 08 Highlander. I am looking to mount cross bars to the existing factory side rails so I can mount a roof soft bag.

Any suggestions of manufacturers, models etc?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
I would go with the Toyota PT611-48070 ones unless you have some compelling reason for requiring something else. If you go with the Toyota ones, make sure you pay attention to the direction arrows or you will create wind noise when you drive.

Link to installation instructions

Highlander Crossbars

Link to one source on the east coast

http://www.toyotaofnashuaparts.com/displayList.cfm?design=120#

Cost $154 plus shipping or see if your dealer will price match

You have to enter your zip code to see the $154 price

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Summerwind, Thanks for the help. I did not know that Toyota even manufactured them for the 08. Regards, Mike

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
The instructions I posted earlier are not really clear on how the end cap comes off. There are two plastic hooks along the edge of the cap on both sides of the cap. I used a nylon trim removal tool and pushed down on the end cap while gently prying the outside edge with the tool until the hooks released. Once the plastic hooks release it comes off easily as shown in the instructions

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rubber Rail stoppers - proper location?

The instructions I posted earlier are not really clear on how the end cap comes off. There are two plastic hooks along the edge of the cap on both sides of the cap. I used a nylon trim removal tool and pushed down on the end cap while gently prying the outside edge with the tool until the hooks released. Once the plastic hooks release it comes off easily as shown in the instructions

Related question - on the roof rail tracks there is a rubber stopper on both sides. On mine the stoppers are at the FRONT, but to me, it makes sense that they're at the BACK (also the instructions you posted seem to show the stoppers being at the back) - so I'm wondering if my dealer made a mistake installing them at the front. Moving them to the back would allow you to move the front crossbar as far forward as possible too. Otherwise, if I attach a bike rack, the bike tray will interfere with the opened hatch because it's back too far.

Anyone else have the stoppers installed towards the front of the rails?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
Related question - on the roof rail tracks there is a rubber stopper on both sides. On mine the stoppers are at the FRONT, but to me, it makes sense that they're at the BACK (also the instructions you posted seem to show the stoppers being at the back) - so I'm wondering if my dealer made a mistake installing them at the front. Moving them to the back would allow you to move the front crossbar as far forward as possible too. Otherwise, if I attach a bike rack, the bike tray will interfere with the opened hatch because it's back too far.

Anyone else have the stoppers installed towards the front of the rails?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I doubt many dealers read the installation instructions.

I have seen them both ways (in the front and in the back)

I doubt it makes much difference

·
Registered
Highlander
1 Posts
I just bought a 2009 Highlander, with roof rails and bought the PT611-48070 crossbars, which came with the installation instructions you mentioned. I figured I'd save some money and install it myself. Once home, I see that the nylon removal tool was not in the box.
Q: what exactly is that? The picture on the instructions make it seem like an open-ended wrench? Is it absolutely necessary to have this tool to install the crossbars?

I also can't figure out how to remove the rear right roof rack leg cover (which, the instructions say, are easily damaged....great....no tool, no clue as to how to remove them, AND they easily damage....I miss my Honda Pilot already!).

Q: Anyone have details or advice...beyond the terse words in the instructions on how to remove the roof rack leg covers?....and to do the whole installation for that matter?

I guess I could surrender and take it to the dealer, but I'm sure that will cost me.

While on this subject, I want the crossover bars so I can put a canoe up top. Next problem...there are two great/strong tie down points in both back corners of the Highlander...I guess where you can tow or pull the car out of a ditch. Locating good strong tie down points in the front corners is a challenge. Most of the underneath area of the front corners is covered by the many plastic covers, held in place by somewhat weak screws or bolts.

Q: Has anyone found a strong tiedown location in the front corners? I can't believe I'm the first one to want to run ropes from heavy stuff on my roof to the four corners of my car.

I was thinking of buying another "towing eyelet" (mentioned in the manual), popping out the little plastic covers in the front "bumper," screwing two of them in, and then you have very strong eyelets to lash a rope to. Any other ideas? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks, in advance, for any help or ideas. I'm new to this site. Hopefully, I'll be able to remember my sign in name, remember my password, and remember how to find my own post! :)

·
Toyota Traitor
15 RDX, 09 TACOMA
966 Posts
I had to go check and see if my Highlander had crossbars, it does. I didn't know Highlanders came without them..

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
, I see that the nylon removal tool was not in the box.
Q: what exactly is that? The picture on the instructions make it seem like an open-ended wrench? Is it absolutely necessary to have this tool to install the crossbars?
I bought a set from Eastwood but you can usually get similar tools from a Auto parts store. Link to Eastwood product http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=12214&itemType=PRODUCT

I also can't figure out how to remove the rear right roof rack leg cover (which, the instructions say, are easily damaged....great....no tool, no clue as to how to remove them, AND they easily damage....I miss my Honda Pilot already!).

Q: Anyone have details or advice...beyond the terse words in the instructions on how to remove the roof rack leg covers?....and to do the whole installation for that matter?

As I stated above, Press down on the top of the cap and gently pry the outside of the cap. I started from the front of the cap. Once the front outside hook released I went to the back outside hook and repeated the process. Once the outside hooks are released the inside ones detach easily. Make sure you pay attention to the direction arrows when installing the bars. If you put them on backwards you will have wind noise.

You might also see if your dealer would remove them for you at no charge.

·
Registered
Supra
15 Posts
As Summerwind said press down on the top of the cap when your prying up the outside edge of the cap. I used a large putty knife to pry mine off. The nylon remove tool doesn't come in the box with the crossbars FYI. miker08 where in Florida are you? I know the dealer in St Peterburg will sell them to me for $142 +tax.

·
Registered
2009 Highlander LTD
424 Posts
I had to go check and see if my Highlander had crossbars, it does. I didn't know Highlanders came without them..
Mine did as well. Maybe it is a standard feature on the Canadian models. Mine is an 09 Limited.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Be careful if you order the bars from that dealer up top... toyota of nashua... their web site is not SSL secure. NEVER put CC info into an insecure site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can vouch for the fact that the plastic covers can be damaged. The first one came off fairly easily using the suggestions in this thread, but the other side provided to be quite challenging for some reason. I ended up breaking the front outside hook on the cover. Fortunately the broken piece did not get lost, so I used some super glue and reattached it. I appeared to stay on during the reinstall, and I don't plan to ever take it off again! I think it probably would have still held without the one hook anyway.

Here's an inside view in case it is helpful to anyone.

·
Registered
2010 Highlander
184 Posts
I know this is a dated topic, however, I thought I would post my pics to help others when removing their end caps.

The best tool I found to use is the typical paint can lid remover tool.

You can wedge the little edge of the paint can opener between the rubber and plastic. Then I gave it a little twist and the edge pops right up and out. Then to the other end, doing the same thing. The tabs where you want to use the tool to pry are about 1.5 or 2 inches from each end of the end caps. Then repeat the same procedure for the inside edges of the caps. To give you an idea how easy it is, I am right handed. I held the camera with my right hand and used the tool with my left hand while taking these pics. Hope this helps others!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hmmm. I have taken mine off at least 4 or 5 times in the last 6 weeks or so, and I would hesitate using any metal object when removing plastic parts, even this paint can remover, as your likely to mar the edges or leave small indentations, especially as you twist as you demonstrate above.

I used a piece of plexi I jimmied for my radio install (found in the DIY sticky section) and pictured here:

....and these worked like a charm. The key to getting the covers off easily is, as described above, to put your hand on the top of the cover, and pull down and out to help release the tabs as you pry with your tool.

Was actually thinking about this the last time I removed them because I couldn't find my plexi tool, and almost made a new one with the handle of an old tooth brush. Just file it, or shave it using a sharp blade, to a chisel shape and use it to pry the covers off....another option to consider which is less likely to damage your covers.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts