Toyota Nation Forum banner

Rotational/Shaking Coming from front Driver Area

851 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  stovepipe 
#1 ·
I've been baffled by this issue I've had for a while. Soon as I start to accelerate between 5-40mpg is when the issue is its worst. Loud rotational noise, with by shaking & vibration. The issue feels to be coming from the front driver wheel area.

I've had the car looked at by my mechanic who said it was the front driver wheel bearing. When he went to replace, it ended up being a tie rod. I thought the tie rod would have finally resolved the problem but it didn't. He checked all 4 corners and rode in the car with me, but didn't see or feel anything to be concerned with other than a rear wheel bearing that was just a hair loose. I replaced that myself but yet again this annoying issue is still present.

I might not be explaining the issue to the best I can. The shaking is severe enough that my center console rattles. Like a rotational thud. It feels like it gets just a little tamer at highway speed but its still present. Getting to the point where I feel im pushing my luck counting to drive it. Anyone happen to know what this might be or what to look/feel for to maybe get to the bottom of this?

#4 ·
My mechanic for sure thought it was the bearing. He even ordered it and when he went to replace it, he called me to tell me it's a bad tie rod, not a bearing. Sometimes when Im driving I think its the tire. The other part thinks a cv related. I might go a head and rotate my tires today to see if anything changes. I do have another mechanic whom I may go to tomorrow to see if he can diagnose it.

Found a thread on here from a years ago where the poster had the exact issues in the front driver wheel well at any speed. He changed is cv joints and rotated his tires but the issue remained. Turned out to be one his tires. In his case he had cheap retread tires which mine arent but doesn't mean it still cant be a tire. I'll report back when I come back from my mechanic.

#5 ·
Update: Took it to my other mechanic today. After letting him drive my car to diagnose. Soon as he got out he said it sure sounds like your wheel bearing. He jacked up the car and got underneath while I spun the tire really fast. You could clearly hear noise coming from the hub. Left my car there to have them replace it same day.

Soon as I drove home it felt like a new car. That noise was getting to me mentally. I cant even remember how many months or a year I drove like that and I drove 1000's of miles. I still can't believe my other mechanic thought it was the bearing, ordered the bearing, said it wasn't the bearing it's a tie rod, and still said it was fine after riding in it. Thanks again guys for taking the time to respond.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.