Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

I had my brakes redone about 2 yrs ago. I had 108k miles on the origninal rotors, they has been ground before and were worn so they needed replacing. They never warped in the time i had the originals. The brake work was done as midas and the front rotors were replaced with whatever standard replacement they use. Now at 15000 miles since the brake job they are warped as hell. They will turn them and replace the front pads for $90 total which seems reasonable, but are these rotors crap and will i continue having problems every 15k? any sugestions?

-j

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
friction master
ceramic
disc brake pads
part #: CMX476

they run for 39.88 that's what i have on my car

what engine do you have and what year camry?

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
The rotors are just as important as the pads. Dealer rotors, brembo, and centrix(bendix) are good rotors. Also very important to get ceramic pads. I like the akebono's. Not too sure what midas uses. Ask them what material they used for the pads, if semi-metallic, tell them the car requires ceramics pads. After turning the rotors they are thinner now, so if they continue to use semi-metallic pads they will warp even faster.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How involved is it to replace the rotors and pads? Any special tools or tricks required?

-j

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
^

It's not too hard to change pads/rotors. You'll need a C-clamp to push in the piston, the new pads/rotors (of course), and some fresh brake fluid, cause when you push in the piston, some of the fluid will come back into the reservoir. You might want another person handy to watch the reservoir, too. You might also want some anti-squeak lube for the brakes ($0.99 at Autozone). Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts