Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Yota 4x4, 01 Max,
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I was wondering, since I can't find my Hayne's manual:confused: , how hard is it to take off the front hub assembly on my 89' 22-RE? I've done it on a rodeo b4 and was wondering if it was about the same. Any feedback would be great.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
I just did mine, Saturday to be exact.....
1) block rear wheels
2) jack up front
3) Use jack stands to support truck

(ok, seems obvious, but you would not believe how many people I have seen do brake jobs on an un-chocked vehicle supported by a scissors-jack)

4) remove front wheel(s)

5) You need to remove the hub assembly (the manual lock for manual hubs, the lock plate for ADD). you then remove

6) remove lock ring, splined washer, outer axle nut, inner "5 tab" washer, inner axle nut, inner flat washer, and the outer bearing (you'll see).

7) unbolt caliper, swing out of way and support it to keep the break line from kinking

8) remove hub/disc assembly.

9) from the back side of the assembly, remove the 6 bolts that hold the hub and disc together. use you own preferred method to hold the hub in place to loosen the bolts. I found a shot of pb blaster on each helps.

10) carefully pry the disc from the hub.

11) now is a goog time to inspect the inner bering and seal, replace as neccessary

12) slid on new disc, installatin is revers of removal

13) watch the tension on the axle nut, too loose and you can damage the spindle/bearing while driving. To tight will burn them up and cause excessive drag.

14) ensure proper operation of system before tearing down the street.
:)

·
Registered
89 Yota 4x4, 01 Max,
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Help!!!!!

OK, I got the manual hub cover off, and the outer washer off, but how do i get the other components from inside of the hub? I know that soon as I go buy another haynes manual, my original is gonna turn up. Also, what are the best tools to get this stuff off?( got the basics, just wondering if there is something else that would make this go alot smoother)
Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
89 Yota 4x4, 01 Max,
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never mind

Disregard that last post, I found an on-line manual with step by step illustrations:clap: . Thanx anyway.

·
Registered
89 Yota 4x4, 01 Max,
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, once again

What is the best to take the lock ring off of the axle in the front hub assembly? (was on a roll until I got there:thumbdown ). Tried needle nosed pliers and they just plain suck. Any help is appreciated.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Yes

Most parts store should have some.

You want to get the flat bladed outside snap ring pliers, these are the ones that when you squeeze the handles together it pushes the jaws apart.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
if all else fails, I use two flat head screwdrivers, but then again, i have replaced my cv's a few times, so I have had plenty of practice. And the "5-tab" washer in between the two axle nuts, should have one tab bent in and one outwards, use a screwdriver or punch to pry the outward bent tab up a bit, so you can take off the forst nut. I then hammer the "5-tab" flat when I get it out and cleaned. remember to rebend one tab in and one out after you get the two nuts back on (which ever tab while lie flatest on a nut side.).

·
Registered
89 Yota 4x4, 01 Max,
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

I appreciated the input from the both of you guys. I did end up going with the two flathead screwdrivers. I got the whole assembly off, however I'm having a hard time getting the rotor apart from the hub assembly.:confused: I'm toughing this thing out, but dang this is frustrating. (I guess I'm more upset with myself that I let my rotor get that chewed up without even noticing the metal to metal grind:hammer: ). Well I'm gonna take the old and new parts to work with me tomorrow and see if I can get somebody to swap the parts out for me. Once again, I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
6 bolts from the backside hold it together. A shot of "pb-blaster" on each, a 5 minute break, and a vise or large friend to hold it in place, and bam, the 6 bolts come loose ( I used large prybar, and a large friend). Make sure you torque the assembley whe yo reassemble :)

·
Daily Driven
'90 22RE
42 Posts
Anybody know what size the inner/outer axle nuts are? I read somewhere 54mm, and I cant find a socket that big around here. Is it time for the pipe wrench or do I have to scour the earth to find a 54mm? Whats the best way to get these off?

Thanks y'all.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
flat head driver, and a hammer, and tap tap tap (remember lefty loosey). I think I found a 2-1/8 socket at Sears, but you need a 3/4 drive monster to spin it, if you want to.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
ooops, double up

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
Sears sells a 2-1/8 socket. Need 3/4 drive ratchet handle though.

I use, once again, a flathead, with a small hammer, and tap tap tap.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Wow; I didn't even know there was supposed to be a lock ring. Mine just has the outer nut, 5 blade washer & inner nut. :wtf:

·
Daily Driven
'90 22RE
42 Posts
werd. I got it done last night. I figured it out once I got in there, but it's nice to know I did it the right way after all :D
Note to self: keep your hand in front of the cone washers when pounding them out. I had one shoot across the garage and get lodged in the lower a arm of my housemates 4runner. Took me just shy of an hour of searching the garage and anything that could have been in the flight path to find it.
2nd note: purchase brake cleaner in bulk. I ran out, and none, zero, zip, zilch, not a single gas station sells it. I even tried the Truck stops.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts