Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my second Toyota Matrix and I love the car, but this new one (used when I bought it) is going through rotors like crazy. I replaced the first set myself while doing a brake job because they were wavy and the auto parts place I use said they were too thin to turn. Since then, I've had two different mechanic shops put on two other sets of rotors after having each set turned twice before they were too thin. Neither mechanic can figure out why they keep warping. I'm suspecting my anti-lock breaking system, but I've never dealt with that before. I do put a lot of miles on - about 150,000 since I bought the car (it had almost 50,000 then). Is this normal? Or do I have a problem?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Normal with hack brake work, cheap pads, and cheap rotors

If available, I would use Wagner or Bosch rotors, along with Raybestos or Wagner pads, with a complete cleaning/lubing/hardwarekits/bleeding.

And, if it's the front brakes only, maybe the backs need a good looking at to make sure that they are participating.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Lots of times the emergency brake is not used which in some models means the rear brakes are not adjusted. E brake lever should come up to about 6 clicks. In some cases it will not even work at all. Neighbor's wife had a Solara, the E brake was inop all the way up with no braking. Fiddled with it until the ebrake was working properly, the service brake pedal activated much sooner, but the damage was done. The booster was bad due to hyperextending the diaphragm, so there went $850 at the dealership to replace the booster and I was called an idiot for my "repair". Last time I helped them for free, no cure for that stupidity.

Doesn't apply to models with separate drum ebrake system like Mercedes has had for decades, versus integral emergence brake with same friction point but two means of activation. I prefer separate systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts