Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this problem last winter and couldn't fix it, and now that it is getting cold again, (I'm in Canada now) the issue has returned.

On a cold winter day, the car will start and run fine initially. I put it in drive and travel about one mile to a stop sign. At the stop sign, the car idles very rough. Really cold days (think -35F) it can stall if my foot isn't on the gas. But once it is warmed up, there is no problem and this doesn't happen in any other season of the year. Any thoughts? I'd like to get this fixed because if it gets worse, well, being stranded in a Canadian winter can be deadly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
specs: '05 corolla, 66k miles. not sure what you mean by a hunting idle.. but it feels like the a/c is on (its not nor is defrost) but the ecu doesn't kick up the rpms.. just bogged down and shuttering, and no engine trouble light

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i checked the thread you linked to mikered30. I went out to the garage, started the car and sprayed some brake cleaner around the intake manifold gasket. Nothing happened. I let the car run a bit and as the rpm's started to drop as the car was warming up i sprayed again and the engine bogged down. That is consistent with how normally happens. Initial startup is fine, once i get a mile down the road at 55mph, and l stop at a stop sign, it bogs down. Then once its up to temp, its fine again. Looks like i'll have to change the gasket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts