Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi;
I have an 86 Corolla, auto, 260,000km. When the weather is around 0c or lower, once it is started, the engine will not stay at a regular speed. It will fluctuate from ready to stall to high speed every couple of seconds untill the engine gets a little warm.
The gas cunsumption around town is on the low side. I am getting around 9 to 10 km/litre. I think I should be getting around 12km/lt. On the highway it is fine, about 16 km/lt
It also idles on the fast side once the engine is warm. I have turned the idle speed adjuster down, but it does not make any difference to the idle speed. The engine is fine otherwise. It does not use oil, purrs on the highway.
Can anybody recommend a book, or have advice on what to do? Any input will be appreciated. Thank-you, Jan86

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Welcome to winter dude, all the Toyotas I've owned do the same. I have slowed it down by either lowering the idle speed with the idle screw, but it could also be that the thermostat or the temp sensor are not working properly anymore.

G

·
0 Posts
mine only fluctuated like that when i had a very tiny vaccum leak. easy to check. take some soapy water and spray it on the vaccum lines, if you see bubbles you have a leak. let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi;
Thanks for the replies. I did check for vacuum leaks: none.
In the process I discovered that the rubber ring that seals the airfilter body to the carb was not seated properly. Given the way it is fitted on to the body, I never suspected that it come off. I got that fixed and now it starts and runs better.
Could someone recommend a manual/book that gives details about the carb and where everything is. I want to VERY SLIGHTLY lean out the idle fuel jet. It still idles fast.
regards, Jan86

1 - 5 of 5 Posts