Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Originally the car stopped at a stoplight and the engine turned off by itself. It turned on again but the car would not move and the engine died again. We had the car towed and it just started up by itself the next day. We changed the spark plugs a few days later and after that there was a low sound coming from the engine.

The engine makes a gasping noise every few seconds while idling. The RPM's are normally steady at 1000, but when the engine makes the noise the RPM's drop to about half.

Update- The car had a P0340 trouble code. What could be causing it?

·
Registered
96 camry 2.2
468 Posts
My brother had a similar experience when his water pump was going out. It seized enough to kill the engine, but would later crank and run poorly and have a bad sound. It died while slowing for a stop sign. Check to see if your radiator fluid level is good and examine the weep hole on the water pump for signs of leakage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brother had a similar experience when his water pump was going out. It seized enough to kill the engine, but would later crank and run poorly and have a bad sound. It died while slowing for a stop sign. Check to see if your radiator fluid level is good and examine the weep hole on the water pump for signs of leakage.

The water pump and timing belt were changed recently.

·
Administrator
14,386 Posts
We had the car towed and it just started up by itself the next day.
All by itself?!?!... No one turned the key?

Update- The car had a P0340 trouble code. What could be causing it?
P0340 = Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Most likely the sensor has gone bad. Could be a wiring problem, but unless someone's messed with the wiring harness recently, chances are it's the sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All by itself?!?!... No one turned the key?

P0340 = Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Most likely the sensor has gone bad. Could be a wiring problem, but unless someone's messed with the wiring harness recently, chances are it's the sensor.
No. we did turn the key to turn it on, but I meant that the car seemed to work fine the next day.

Where would the sensor be located on this Toyota?

·
Administrator
14,386 Posts
^:lol:

Actually, we did have a thread a while back where the car was starting itself!! That's why I asked. IIRC, it was an aftermarket remote starting unit going on the fritz.

The cam position sensor is near the cam pulley...

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
Sounds like the sensor is going the fritz and causing the car to run off. That or the belt jump timing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.