Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just purchased a 95 4Runner with a 3.0 and the Auto trans from day one I knew it had an odd running engine and a broken rear window for a super duper low price (Bought it as a project car). So the engine kicks and coughs when you try to accelerate and has almost no power (Still got me home which was a 1hr drive at 110 km/h) I haven't worked on a car with a distributor before but I'm keen to learn. It looks like it has new spark plug wires and possibly plugs. I looked in the intake and it looks like theres a bit of blow by as theres oil in there which I'm yet to clean.

My only theory so far are that the plugs connected to the distributor are wrong as if feels like its misfiring? Not sure how that works (Cyl 1 is connected to Cyl 2 etc) is there any diagrams I can use to check this? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

As for my rear window when I turn the key I can hear the motor turning (up and down) but it doesn't move the window. I pulled apart the tailgate and got someone else to move it up and down but nothing happens its all just motor noise. Any ideas on what I could try?

I read in this post that it may be sensors but I'm not sure which ones to look at and how to diagnose them.

TIA (I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if our 4Runners are different)

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
Welcome to TN, nice ti have you aboard.
The first thing I'd suggest would be to check for CEL codes.
Your 95 should be OBD-I, so you don't need a code reader, just jump 2 terminals in the test connector and count the CEL flashes.
The specific details are in one of the STICKY threads at the top of the main page.
As for the rear window, maybe one of the gears or other linkage parts is worn or stripped.

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
I just realized you posted this in the pick=up truck section.
I'll move it to the appropriate 4Runner section where you should get more response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to TN, nice ti have you aboard.
The first thing I'd suggest would be to check for CEL codes.
Your 95 should be OBD-I, so you don't need a code reader, just jump 2 terminals in the test connector and count the CEL flashes.
The specific details are in one of the STICKY threads at the top of the main page.
As for the rear window, maybe one of the gears or other linkage parts is worn or stripped.
I just realized you posted this in the pick=up truck section.
I'll move it to the appropriate 4Runner section where you should get more response.
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry I didn't realise ahah, thought I had it in the right section.

I found the diagnostics port in the engine bay but its full of gunk so I'll need to clean it most likely, when you say just the 2 terminals is there any in particular? I haven't dealt with OBD1 before. Is this the sticky you were talking about?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/268-4runner-2nd-generation-1990-1995/1503002-diy-maintenance-threads.html

With the window I'm not sure at all I can't open the tailgate from the inside either until the window is down which is a pain ahah

1 - 4 of 4 Posts