Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, all: I just got a 93 Lexus ES300. The car runs great. I like the car. However, after you run the car for a while and the engine is not cold any more, when the car is sitting idle, you can smell a rubber burning smell from the car. When you drive the car, you don't smell it. I sent it to a local mechanic near my house. He said there are oil leaks. So, he replaced oil pan gasket, valve c over gasket, upper plentum gasket and P.C.V valve. I just picked up the car. the smell is still there. So, I am just wondering what is the problem? Have you experienced the same thing?

Thanks

John Wang.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It may take a while to get rid of smell if oil is still present. You could try to clean the engine. It makes it easier to see where leaks are coming from. CW

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
you just got the car right. So maybe the person who owned it before you just got new brakes installed. That would be your burning smell as well. It happened when i changed my brakes on my camry. Very strong burnning smell cause the pads were settling in the new rotors.,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have a 1992 SC 300. My tension pulley went bad on mine. When it did, the car just died on me. I thought the car was on fire because the tension pulley locked up and was burning the belt. That could account for the rubber burning smell. The inside of the car started filling up with smoke. My husband changed it with in a few minutes and when he took the old one off, the bearings were desentigrated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts