Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I seem to have a problem with some of the rubber seals under the hood and on the window pillars on my 2012 I4 Camry. The rubber seems to be squished out of shape on then lower and upper hood seals and on both sides of the window pillars have ripples forming. I don't think this is normal, I try to take care of my car and have a feeling its related to my choice of rustproofing. Its from a company called Krown. Its an oil based product and I think its destroying my rubber seals. I'm pretty pissed right now, how bad does this look to you guys ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally didn't spray anything, but I've had the car professionally treated the last 2 years. I poked around a couple of older foums and there seems to be some correlation between the two. Krown even suggests that they can spray the rubber on some cars with silicone spray prior to treating to prevent damage. I had the car last treated in November 2014 and its still dripping under the hood and on the rear deck. :frown:

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE I-4
2,263 Posts
^ +10 sorry to say but they look really bad. same as @ molson.david, i have my car for 3 yrs & mine looks fine. never treated them with anything.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The rust proofing should only be on the undercarriage... it'd be insane to spray it up there on the door seals so that can't be why those are worn. Under hood I could maybe see but that wouldn't explain the door seals. Any car care products you've been using to clean it you could have been getting on the seals? My 2012 had paint issues but nothing like that on the rubber seals.

·
Less Viscous Than Others
'13 Camry SE
419 Posts
I hit my window seal with an ice scraper and it created a small gouge. Not the ripples though. That's from the Krown.

EDIT: I now see a bug deflector on the hood. (Which I was thinking of getting) but I think that deflector is encroaching on the seal space which is already tight, that pressure combinined with the softening bloating effects of the Krown has basically pushed out the seal.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's your undercoating. Fluid film will do the same thing. Anything petroleum based will for that matter. Rubber does not like petroleum products. The pillars probably got the undercoating on it from the glass itself. They would have spratyed inside the doors, which get on the inside of the tracks of the window guides inside the doors. Roll the window down and now some undercoating gets on the glass. Roll the window up and it transfers some onto the rubber on the pillar. Over time and the frequent rolling up and down of the windows, it coast the underside of the rubber and it will swell.

Keep in mind oil type undercoating is meant to "creep", it's doing what it's suppose to do, however it's not meant for door rubbers.

·
Less Viscous Than Others
'13 Camry SE
419 Posts
It's your undercoating. Fluid film will do the same thing. Anything petroleum based will for that matter. Rubber does not like petroleum products. The pillars probably got the undercoating on it from the glass itself. They would have spratyed inside the doors, which get on the inside of the tracks of the window guides inside the doors. Roll the window down and now some undercoating gets on the glass. Roll the window up and it transfers some onto the rubber on the pillar. Over time and the frequent rolling up and down of the windows, it coast the underside of the rubber and it will swell.

Keep in mind oil type undercoating is meant to "creep", it's doing what it's suppose to do, however it's not meant for door rubbers.
Hey wait a minute. Fluid Film is not petrolium based. Its just the body oils from wool. Lanolin. And has been used by many people in their doors and all over. It's the petrolium based products that cause significant swelling and also release VOC vapors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't believe me, try it for a couple years. Then come and tell me how your door rubbers look. I used to think the same thing about fluid film, it was the only undercoating I used on my old '97 Taurus and both my parents cars. The door rubbers swelled so bad after several years I had to cut out pieces because the door rubbers were coming out from under the doors.

So again after using ONLY fluid film on three cars with all the same results it can and will swell rubber seals.

Also anyone who doesn't want to take my word on it, go to fluid films site and look under the FAQ section. Even they state it can cause swelling to non oil resistant rubber.

·
Registered
2001 Lexus ES300
555 Posts
But the product isn't petroleum based... if it was it wouldn't have passed an environmental study and you'd see guys spraying their cars with cheap 5w30 in their driveways since it would be the same thing!

I had this discussion with the reps in my city last year. The fine oil film is there to APPLY the CHEMICAL [which is the rustproofing agent] since it's the only way it can "stick" to the body. Throw chemicals at it and it will simply come off as soon as it sees it's first car wash.

I've had no problems to date with Krown, on five vehicles. It's weird as to what happened to your moldings though...

My Lexus' would be bone dry on the underside/panels within a week. The stuff usually leaks more from the inner doors, and they never spray my moldings only the insides/around the wheel arches in the engine bay.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not saying it's petroleum based, but there is petroleum product in it.....

FLUID FILM is formulated from specially processed wool-wax, highly refined petroleum oils
and selected agents to provide corrosion control, penetration, metal wetting and water
displacement. The long lasting product contains no solvents, will not dry out and will penetrate
to the base of all metals, providing corrosion protection from both natural and industrial
atmospheres. Heavily corroded and/or frozen parts such as nuts, bolts, shafts, etc. that would
normally be damaged during maintenance, can be salvaged by applying FLUID FILM.

Effect on Rubber:
ASTM D-471 @ ±
158°F 70 hours
None on neoprene and buna-n. May cause swelling on non oil-resistant
rubber goods
I wasn't trying to state Fluid film is petroleum based, although after looking at how I typed out my post I can see why people would think I was. That's my fault there. My point was though Fluid Film will swell non oil resistant rubber and was letting others know that may have been unaware.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My last treatment was either the end of October or the beginning of November 2014, and the trunk lid is still dripping onto the rear bumper, same with under the hood. Were talking about 8-9 months later. The same thing happened after the first application (by a different shop) 2 years ago. Not very impressed.

·
Registered
2001 Lexus ES300
555 Posts
^ but that means they did a good job and got into all the crevices where moisture [with salt] would... ?

Yeah, it sucks ass for cleanup, in the summer the doors tend to drip a little due to heat, but the window seals let in so much water/salt once it thaws down the glass into the doors, its a small price to pay for having a clean bodied car.

Have you thoroughly washed it? My process is this, bring clean car. Let them coat it, they do a quick wash. I let it sit a week. Then I bust out the pressure washer & foam cannon. Pressure wash the hell out of all the crevices, quick wash.

Engine bay cleanup/degreaser.

Then go over with a foam cannon, do a thorough hand wash, getting all the crevices [doors open/hinge areas, under doors], then rinse the whole car.

Once I do this, I will notice when its 30'c outside that a LITTLE will drip down and wipe it down, or if its wash day, just wash it off!

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
If you don't do all this...how long until the car rusts out?

·
Registered
2001 Lexus ES300
555 Posts
^ no one is able to answer that, since it depends on many things... mileage, area, how much salt, how much of a snow dumping, how often one washes their car in the winter.

For the average joe that will keep a car once powertrain is up, they won't care. I like to keep my cars clean, personal preference, and when it comes to sell a car in Canada, people subconsciously love hearing it was rustproofed... be it a BS "module" or sprayed.

Also, the body vs. underbody is a huge difference. The body will stay nice MUCH longer, but when bolts are rusty/seized it adds costs to basic maintenance in form of time - some DIY maintenance but now have to budget more time for broken bits & more $ for replacing said broken bits due to corrosion.

I'm a firm believer in the stuff... and not a salesmen for them, it's no skin off my back, but simply offering my experience in a heavily salted, +40c to -40c extreme climate...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts