Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 camry. about 90K miles. I've had this rubbing sound from the right rear wheel for a few month especially louder when braking and turning to the right. I took it to a shop. They cleaned the rear brake but the noise remained. They said the drum may have some rust spot and I could replace the rear drum when I come in for the timing belt next time.

It doesn't affect my driving at all so I'm not really planning on fixing it. But I'm just curious what you experts of camrys' have in mind.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Maybe your parking brake is stuck...but that would be more of a grinding noise. Same with stuck brakes.

How's the inside of your tire look?

Reactions: johnnash

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
Maybe it's the plastic liner in the wheel well that's not properly secured?

Offtopic, but holy batman, you live in Ann Arbor!! That's right down the road from me:lol:

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
touch the wheel with hand after driving and see if it gets excessively hot compared to other rear. if yes then the brake is dragging, if no then it might be something else.

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
98 camry. about 90K miles. I've had this rubbing sound from the right rear wheel for a few month especially louder when braking and turning to the right. I took it to a shop. They cleaned the rear brake but the noise remained. They said the drum may have some rust spot and I could replace the rear drum when I come in for the timing belt next time.

It doesn't affect my driving at all so I'm not really planning on fixing it. But I'm just curious what you experts of camrys' have in mind.

change the BEARING

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
I would definetly check the bearing if there isn't anything wrong with the rear brakes. When they cleaned the rear brakes they would have turned the drum to see if there was any rubbing, and then they would have at least test drove it for a bit to see and then recheck to see if the brakes were rubbing or binding. If indeed the brakes are fine, I would then look into the rear wheel bearing. I hope that isn't the case because those wheel bearings are quite expensive.

Should you need a new rear wheel bearing, the MSRP on that is $346.38. I sell Genuine Toyota OEM parts to TN members for 30% off MSRP which would bring it to $242.47 plus ACTUAL SHIPPING COSTS, and $1.00 - $2.00 for materials, etc. I do not over inflate shipping or base it off a sale price, I weigh it, and then tell you what it will cost.

If you need any other information, have any questions, or want to double check your local dealer on something, need TSBs, whatever, let me know. I am not in here just to make a parts sale. I am usually in here every day and you can check my posts, and see that I am truly in here to assist the TN members.

Good luck and I hope this information serves you well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@fenixus
The temperature doesn't feel too hot and they're even on both wheels.
@projektvertx
No loose things as far as I can see :).
@AliRazoR
It only happens when I step on the brake (very lightly, it doesn't make the sound, but above medium, the harder I brake, the louder the noise.). So I was thinking it's more brake-related other than the bearing.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Maybe the shoes are faded?

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
@AliRazoR
It only happens when I step on the brake (very lightly, it doesn't make the sound, but above medium, the harder I brake, the louder the noise.). So I was thinking it's more brake-related other than the bearing.
i want to ask something, Do you have rear BRAKE DISC?if yes,i don't know.

IF NO; there is problem with brake shoe (or brake pad) inside the DRUM

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@AliRazoR, I do have a drum brake.
@Chris Crash, could be. One more piece of information is that it tends to be more severe after heavy braking and after a while it lessens.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,891 Posts
i use to have a similar problem. mine sounding like metal scraping. turned out that the drum was rusty enough that sometimes the lip of the drum would scrape the dust shield. it drove me nuts for a while because it would do it one day while i was driving, but not every day. i think some days the heat from braking would expand the drum .001" and then it would contact the dust shield. i ground down the edge of the drum and the sound never came back.

if it sounds more like a train rolling down the track with a rotating pattern sound, then its more likely a bad bearing.

Reactions: johnnash

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So projektvertx took a look at the rear drum brakeme. The hole for the rubber plug doesn't quite line up with the one on the rusty outer cover. So we've decide that it's most likely inside the brake. Especially he's ruled out bearing problem. So we'll probably go to the junkyard later (have to wait until after next week) and do something to the rear brake. What I have in mind is to move the front brakes to the rear (ie. drum to disc upgrade in the rear) and twin-piston upgrade in the front. (Thereby satisfying the disputed earlier lock-up at the front principle.) But would this make a real difference? Another plan is just to change the rear drum brakes.

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
Glad you were able to find it.
changing the rear drum to brake disk make not a lot difference,but changing the front disk to double piston make a big difference

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Glad you were able to find it.
changing the rear drum to brake disk make not a lot difference,but changing the front disk to double piston make a big difference
That's actually not true. Upgrading the rears to disks makes a bigger difference than upgrading the front calipers.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
the rear brake only work when you press the brake hardly, i do not have ABS.
The rear brakes work 100% percent of the time. You just FEEL the affects more the harder you brake. The front caliper upgrade just changes the distribution of force on the brake pad. two cylinders instead of one. There's NO WAY this offers a better upgrade over a rear disc swap. Trust me, I've done the swap before. Also, ABS has nothing to do with the power or stopping distance when braking.

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
That's actually not true. Upgrading the rears to disks makes a bigger difference than upgrading the front calipers.
I'm gonna have to PM you before our junkyard run to figure out what I need from the donor car other than the caliper and associated hardware... The link to the DIY conversion leads nowhere:confused: I'm in Socal until the 5th:chug:

But yeah, we pretty much decided we are gonna go ahead and do the swap on his car:thumbsup: And a caliper/rotor system is infinitely easier to service too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts