Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought some of you would like to see tireracks rating for these tires. I did quite a bit of sliding the other day in the snow. They do fine for me off road and on dry pavement.

mostly 5.5 ratings.. why would toyota put these on our trucks :confused: save money?

Im going to get either the Dunlops

or the BFG AT's

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
i never really have problems with sliding around in the snow, unless i'm doing it on purpose.

if you're sliding in the snow and don't want to be, you're driving too fast for conditions. slow down. :)

toyota probably used them because they're a fairly inexpensive dual-purpose tire. i think also part of their reasoning is that if someone is a serious off roader, they'll swap on whatever tires they want.

-Mike

·
Tacoholic
343 Posts
I think that the reason the Rugged Trails get lower ratings is because the are a common tire to come stock on vehicles. People are more critical of things they have to use compared to things that they chose to use.

People who spend a lot of money on things are more likely to give them glowing reviews to make themselves feel better for spending the money on it.

I have no doubt about this.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have the BFG Rugged Trails, and I don't why everyone's coming down on them. I think for an offroad tire, they're pretty quiet on the highway, I've been through 5-6 snowstorms with them, traction has always been good, I've had no problem with them in the rain, and the few times I've had them offroad they worked well. Are there better tires out there? Of course, but I have no complaints with these. I'll keep them until they wear out.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Rugged trails are the worst tires I've ever used in the snow. They offer zero traction especialy when turning. You turn the wheel but the truck just keeps going straight. And I'm talking about moving at less than 10mph (like on the idle without touching the gas) with less than an inch of snow. I've never driven any that handled snow so poorly. I put up with them last winter and once this winter and they'll be off before the next snow. Absolute junk and these are not by any stretch of the imagination and off road tire.

Mike

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mikeg281 said:
Rugged trails are the worst tires I've ever used in the snow. They offer zero traction especialy when turning. You turn the wheel but the truck just keeps going straight. And I'm talking about moving at less than 10mph (like on the idle without touching the gas) with less than an inch of snow. I've never driven any that handled snow so poorly. I put up with them last winter and once this winter and they'll be off before the next snow. Absolute junk and these are not by any stretch of the imagination and off road tire.

Mike

Thats what im talking about :lol: Otherwise there a good tire. I had the same experiance as you in 3 inches of snow at 10-15mph. :thumbdown

·
Registered
848 Posts
mikeg281 said:
these are not by any stretch of the imagination and off road tire.

Mike
Correction: "All Terrain Tire". We had about 18" of snow on Friday, after work I cleared the snow off the truck, and pulled out of the spot with no detectable wheel slippage. No problems all the way home either (about 8- 10 miles). It felt especially nice after slipping/sliding in the 2WD company S10 on what turned out to be a 5 hour round trip out to a job site.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nes and CurrentSupply and Fitz, I think you guys are right on the money.

The Rugged Trail is noted for its quiet ride for an AT tire, and this may be one reason they use them, too.

I'll be swapping over to BFG All Terrain TAs or possible the Bridgestone Revos, but I expect a lot of use out of my Rugged Trails in the interim.

My old man got 60K out of his factory Rugged Trails on his Tundra. If I get 50K I'll be happy.

I think skill and experience behind the wheel are entirely underrated, unappreciated, and all-too-uncommon assets in driving in inclement weather.

·
Red Headed Slut
1,843 Posts
I have a mixed feeling about these tires. Going around turns and stopping in 2WD is great, unless you get a little heavy on the gas, then again, all trucks will whip sideways in the snow if you push them.

Next up is 4WD in about 6 inches of snow. Once again these things were great.

Now here's the kicker, for some odd reason my 4WD decided to not engage the other night. I was at a girl's house and it seriously took me about 15 minutes to get up her driveway. Her driveway isn't steep at all, if anything like a 2% grade. I was spinning the tires the whole way up. Boy was I pissed.

And for those of you going 'straight' through the turn...SLOW DOWN!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Rodge said:
And for those of you going 'straight' through the turn...SLOW DOWN!!
< 10mph on the idle with my foot off the gas not slow enough in a dusting of snow? Never had a vehicle that couldn't turn in those conditions until this one.

I've driven rwd, fwd awd and 4wd in the snow. This truck and tire combination is by far the worst. My Wrangler with 11.5" wide BFG AT's woul'd handle situations in 2wd that the tacoma is very unstable in. Never had a problem with turning and never felt unsafe behinde the wheel. Can't say the same with this truck and that's a lighter vehicle with wider tires.

My Mustangs were obviously horrible in the snow but I never had problems stopping or turning.

Like I said of all the vehicles I've driven in the snow this is by far the worst.

As far as having "skill behind the wheel". While I realize that 10 winters does not make me an expert driver I've come to expect a certain level of capability from my vehicles. And a Tacoma equiped with these tires just isn't capable.

I assume those of you praising the tires haven't used anything better.

Mike

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
like i stated earlier: if you're sliding when you don't want to be, you're driving too fast for conditions.

and remember, wider contact patches are not helpful in the snow or on ice. if you've ever watched snow rallies in scandinavia, you'll notice they use VERY narrow tires. yes, they have studs on them, but they're still very narrow tires. they could very well stud wider tires, but they choose not to.

i personally have not had any problems in the snow and ice except for where it was my fault. i was going too fast, plain and simple. i blame the tires not in the least bit.

-Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
Guys, I don't think anybody is insinuating that Rugged Trails are the best tire on the market. But at some point you, as the driver, have to take some responsibility for your or your truck's actions. There is nothing like owning the best, but even poor equipment can be quite capable in the right hands.

If you don't like the Rugged Trails, then, as 55 says, don't Roll them. :)

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
57HotrodVW said:
Here's a nice chart too - it shows Tire Rack's ratings for all of the tires that they carry, which fit into the "Off-Road All-Terrain" category (ranked from #1-#18 overall, top to bottom - notice that the Revo's, which I have on my Tacoma, are at the top of the list :)):

nice find! Thanks

Im not bashing the Rugged trails. but they do suck in the snow. I know how to drive in the god dam snow. I lived in ny for 15 years. i had 10+ cars and truck with different tire combos. All im saying is that they SUCK in the snow :saythat:

I hope I can ride out the rest of the winter with them. I was hoping to but a cap for the truck. but then I will need to wait for a while to buy tires. :lol:

happy hollidays

·
Registered
118 Posts
I swapped out the Grandtreks for Revos and couldn't be happier. The Revo's have TRANSFORMED the Tacoma... they are smoother, quieter and make the Tacoma feel like it is on RAILS on turns. I have so much more confidence in the handling now. Wet traction is 100 percent better than the Dunlops and, driving in the 14" of snow we had this weekend, I didn't even feel the need to use 4WD on plowed roads.

·
Registered
343 Posts
lotust said:
n I know how to drive in the god dam snow. I lived in ny for 15 years. i had 10+ cars and truck with different tire combos. All im saying is that they SUCK in the snow :saythat:
Well obviously we don't because it's our lack of driver skill that causes the tires not to grip while turning at almost a stop in a lightly dusted parking lot.

Yeah I've said this about 4 times already and I'm going to keep saying as long everyone keeps saying we can't drive.

Mike

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
well i guess your snow is more slippery than my snow... :dunno: honestly, maybe your overconfidence has something to do with it. your years of experience tells you that "i should be able to make this turn at X mph." then, when it doesn't, for whatever reason, it's 100% the tires' fault.

i'm not saying you don't know how to drive. i'm just saying that maybe since you've driven in snow for so long, you kind of take it for granted. they're not the greatest tire in the world, but they're by far not the worst.

i have the solution to this problem: you don't like the tires on the truck. buy new tires. :)

-Mike

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NESW20 said:
well i guess your snow is more slippery than my snow... :dunno: honestly, maybe your overconfidence has something to do with it. your years of experience tells you that "i should be able to make this turn at X mph." then, when it doesn't, for whatever reason, it's 100% the tires' fault.

i'm not saying you don't know how to drive. i'm just saying that maybe since you've driven in snow for so long, you kind of take it for granted. they're not the greatest tire in the world, but they're by far not the worst.

i have the solution to this problem: you don't like the tires on the truck. buy new tires. :)

-Mike
you are correct. There not the best in the snow. in my .02 they suck in the snow and do fine everywhere else.

Maybe my first snow fall had some ice under it making it so bad :confused: I will know better next snow fall. Maybe im jumping to conclusions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts