Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title says it all really.

Any ideas what this would be?
I tried seeing if the wheel was loose, whilst I was there I took it off to see if anything was loose. The only thing I think it would be is the strut maybe? The rubber shoes I think theyre called are split ( pretty much all of them are) but still look shiny and in relatively good condition.

Do you think it would be a worn strut causing the rumbling sound?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
550 Posts
not sure what a "rubber shoe" is, in the rear suspension, perhaps you can post a photo?

A good way to assess condition of a rear suspension is to jack up and securely support the car on jack stands (or put it on a hoist), then take a big crow bar and try to shift each of the links, at each end, and look for excessive play, or evidence of metal x metal contact that is evidence of worn out rubber bushings.

The most common wear point in front and rear suspension are the sway bar links, and when they go can make an awful lot of noise, and they are kind of difficult to assess in place (with the car on the ground, reach in and try to wiggle the link around, it should not be free to move at all). They are pretty cheap, and easy to replace which is nice (as long as their fastenings haven't gotten too rusty).

One possible noise source in the rear is spare tire, jack and tools. It is wise to remove all of that to make sure the noise isn't from any of them.

·
Various Toyotas
4,690 Posts
The rubber shoes I think theyre called are split ( pretty much all of them are) but still look shiny and in relatively good condition.
Like @norm356, I'm not sure what you mean by "rubber shoes". Perhaps you mean the spring seat? The accordion-like strut boot? Sway bar bushings are often split when new so they can be installed easily, so maybe you mean that?

I got rid of all kinds of clunking noise in the rear of a '96 Camry by replacing the sway bar bushings. The end links were fairly new (and are often the cause of noise as norm said).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts