Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a friend that owns a 4-cylinder 1991 4Runner. It's been a money pit!! I want to relay what she's told me of her problems in the hope that someone might have any suggestions...

Her vehicle constantly overheats. It's been doing this for a long time. She's had the head gasket replaced twice and the engine replaced (from a wreck - no rebuild) once. These solutions didn't solve her problem. I took it to a radiator dude and he said that it was shot (it was trashed!) and replaced it. This seemed to help the heat problem for a while, but it has happened again.

After she got her engine replaced (in about June), when I dropped her off and followed her, I noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust (even though it was 25C outside that day). I had her pull over and it seemed that the exhaust smelled like coolant. About two days later, the Check Engine light came on.

Even after her radiator was replaced (in July), the smoke still wafts out of the exhaust. It's most noticable when the vehicle has sat long enough to cool down (ie. overnight). It does seem to go away, or is much less obvious, after driving it for a while.

I pulled the EFI fuse to reset the codes and it came on just yesterday.

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is. After researching the issue on the 'net, I'm leaning towards a manufacturer defect that causes the head gasket to leak. I haven't inspected the plugs, oil and "Check Engine" code yet.

Has anybody experienced a problem like this with the same engine? Or, can suggest any diagnosis procedures?

Thanks for your help!

Dean

·
Registered
38 Posts
i am pretty sure its the v6 engine that has the head gasket defect problem.

but the way you are talking it may be a head gasket or a cracked head.maybe even the head is so warped its not sealing,

i own a 92 4cyl 4runner and this is my 3rd vehicle with the 22re
i love this engine its the small block chevy of imports.

i would take it to a well known shop(talk to friends and relitives)and get them to take a look at it.i cant see it costing too much to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

The fact that she's had the same problem with two different engines and a brand new radiator is what puzzles me. She recalls that the mechanic that replaced the engine (100K+) said that they had a problem with the oxygen sensor. I asked her for more detail, but she didn't understand what he was talking about. I can't see the sensor being an issue as it's more for emissions.

Basically, I [honestly] can't really rely too much on what she says of her interaction with the mechanic, so I'm starting from scratch.

Are there other components that are outside of the engine and radiator that can cause the problem that she's been having? It would be highly coincidental that another engine would exhibit the same symptoms, especially if the 4-cylinder isn't a part of the "recall."

Dean

·
Registered
38 Posts
if she is still using her original throttle body i guess there could be a crack in there,there is coolant running through it to keep it warm,(very unlikely),

it is very hard to diagnose without seeing it
sorry

the overheating could be caused by a stuck thermostat,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts