Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just picked up a tacoma and I'd like to add a tuue step. Is it worth getting a factory or is an after market just as good? Wheres the best place to buy one? I'm in socal and am open to on line stores.

Thanks

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
I think the aftermarket tubes look better than the factory units. Are you looking for the factory look or don't care that much?

·
TroY
07 Tacoma TRD Sport
121 Posts
Since my 07 is Silver, I liked the factory Silver side steps. I ordered a set this week form 1sttoyotaparts.com there parts link took me here https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213804
this was the cheapes place i could find on the web. $330 shipped.

the part number are
TUBE STEPS (Part Number: PTS09-35050)
2005 - 2007 Tacoma regular cab.

TUBE STEPS (Part Number: PTS09-35051)
2005 - 2007 Tacoma extra cab.

TUBE STEPS (Part Number: PTS09-35052)
2005 - 2007 Tacoma double cab w/ the long bed option.

TUBE STEPS (Part Number: PTS09-35053)
2005 - 2007 Tacoma double cab w/ the short bed option.

i have the long bed double cab.. the price on the tube steps was $301 with $30 shipping..

good luck

troy

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TucsonTaco said:
I think the aftermarket tubes look better than the factory units. Are you looking for the factory look or don't care that much?
I don't really care if its factory look or not as long as it looks good on the truck and don't fall off :D

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Here you go:

You can decide for yourself?
As for how good they fit??
It fit so good you would think they were made just for this truck!!:D :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Toku can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe those are the factory running boards on his D-Cab SB...

If you go with the running boards instead of the tube steps, I believe the part # is the same for both the D-Cab short bed (SB) or long bed (LB) since the running boards only go the length of the cab, which is the same for both D-Cabs, regardless of bed length.

On the other hand, if you go with the silver, factory tube steps, there are different part #'s as stated above since the tube steps go beyond the cab and under the bed/fender.

Hope this helps!

TucsonTaco said:
what brand toku?

·
Lady in Red
1,515 Posts
I have the factory stainless steel tube steps. Not the chrome or aluminum ones. I'm not sure if they are only available in the southeast though. Check my cardomain page for more photos that are bigger than my signature one below.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Those factory boards that toku have are the best. They're sturdy and reliable. I bought mine from the stealership but it was 15% off so it was well worth it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Mine has running boards too. However I did not want running running boards but the dealer found one with running boards. I said I do not want them so the dealer deducted the price of the running boards off the price of the truck and let me keep them :lol:

I am actually glad I have them. They stick out far enough so when an average height car tries to door ding me, the running boards actually keeps their door from hitting mine. Also they act as a shield to keep rocks from chipping the bottom of the doors. There were a lot of complaints of people getting rock chips on the bottom of their doors. It has been almost a year and there are zero paint chips on the bottom of my doors and no door dings :clap:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree. The OEM running boards were the best that I could find and now that I have them installed, I'm sure they're the best. I couldn't have designed them any better and the fit was perfect. What an easy install as well. I prefer the look of them over tube steps, they're more subtle and provide better protection for the paint. And I'm one that has always hated tube steps and running boards cause they get in the way getting in/out.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Hans Moleman said:
They stick out far enough so when an average height car tries to door ding me, the running boards actually keeps their door from hitting mine.
Never thought of that before!:whatwhat:

Hans Moleman said:
Also they act as a shield to keep rocks from chipping the bottom of the doors. There were a lot of complaints of people getting rock chips on the bottom of their doors. It has been almost a year and there are zero paint chips on the bottom of my doors and no door dings :clap:
The rockers of my '98 looked sandblasted - it was terrible!:thumbdown

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,711 Posts
I'm still waiting on running boards, I just cant get what I want....so what's new! I liked the boards that they put on the previous body style up to 04. They weren't too wide, they contoured to the flares, and they looked good. I sure wish someone would make them again!

·
Registered
766 Posts
OEM Running boards are a bit annoying since they brush your leg getting in (out here in Cali, we all wear shorts every day, so no marks on the pants). The do seem to offer the best coverage for reducing rock damage to the sides of the truck, so much that I removed my mudflaps with no visible chips. The also help with the parking lot door catapulters, though the tube steps would do the same... Best price I could find was Bob Bridge Toyota online.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts