Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. First time on here. Thanks for all the info I have been able to read. Having a problem with my 99 Camry 2.2. Replaced the timing belt, water pump, radiator, thermostat, and the two temp sensors up top. Put Toyota coolant in, burped the system, but it is running too warm. I would say the temp is running between 70-85% right now on the gauge. Fans turn on. No codes in the system. It runs perfectly, just running hot. Heater and AC both work beautifully. Everything seems to be working correct....just hot. Have tried 2 different temp gauge sensors with the same outcome. I am at a loss and not sure where to go next. Have basically replaced the coolant system and it is not running at the temp it should. Any ideas on what to look at next? I was thinking maybe the timing has it running lean, but there are no codes and it sounds and idles like a top. Thanks for any suggestions or help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thermostat a Toyota part or after market?
The thermostat is an aftermarket. Tried two different brands. Haven't gone to the dealership to get a Toyota one or anything.

Coolant isn't going away and there isn’t any oil in the rad or coolant in the oil. Tonight I switched the third sensor on the bottom of the rad. Also switched to a water and a wetter additive to see if that helped. Still running warm, but still not getting to the red. Just finished running it for an hour. While driving it stays perfect right in the middle of the temp gauge. When I idle for a few minutes the temp goes up to about 80% and will drop down to about 50 or 60% then do it again. Just cycling up to about 80% and then dropping back to normal. Never gets to the red. No smoke out the pipe at all. Legit running like a brand new car. Smooth idle. No noise or smoke. Runs great, just running hotter than it should.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
The thermostat is an aftermarket. Tried two different brands. Haven't gone to the dealership to get a Toyota one or anything.

Coolant isn't going away and there isn’t any oil in the rad or coolant in the oil. Tonight I switched the third sensor on the bottom of the rad. Also switched to a water and a wetter additive to see if that helped. Still running warm, but still not getting to the red. Just finished running it for an hour. While driving it stays perfect right in the middle of the temp gauge. When I idle for a few minutes the temp goes up to about 80% and will drop down to about 50 or 60% then do it again. Just cycling up to about 80% and then dropping back to normal. Never gets to the red. No smoke out the pipe at all. Legit running like a brand new car. Smooth idle. No noise or smoke. Runs great, just running hotter than it should.
Okay, the more newer any CAMRY is the more critical it is to get a Genuine Toyota Thermostat. My 1992 Camry gets a Genuine Toyota Thermostat and yours with more sensors is certainly a BIG candidate for one!

Why?

Because aftermarket Thermostats are not made to the precise Temperature limits as that of the Toyota Brand and let's face it, they are not that much difference in price and instead the "TOYOTA" will allow your 1999 Camry's Engine operate at the Factory settings.

I seriously doubt that the bottom radiator tank sensor is faulty. I will put my money on the after-market Thermostat that seems like NOT opening when it should.

That fluctuation of temperature that you just described is indicative of the WRONG Thermostat rated at the WRONG Temperature limits!

Get yourself the TOYOTA Thermostat for your 1999 Camry, please.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
795 Posts
^^ +1 above. IIRC / as far as I know, the factory thermostat is rated as an 82 (c) / 180 degree (f) thermostat.

If you have the ability to monitor (ECT) coolant temp. via a ODBII scanner - the fans turn on between 202 - 207 degrees (f) here. * If yours do not: that needs to be investigated.

You mentioned replacing both the ECT and dash Gauge temp. sensors w/ new: if you have the (old) sensors still, as a sanity check, I would also check the resistance (ohm) readings on old vs. new - to confirm the new sensors are "good", if here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ +1 above. IIRC / as far as I know, the factory thermostat is rated as an 82 (c) / 180 degree (f) thermostat.

If you have the ability to monitor (ECT) coolant temp. via a ODBII scanner - the fans turn on between 202 - 207 degrees (f) here. * If yours do not: that needs to be investigated.

You mentioned replacing both the ECT and dash Gauge temp. sensors w/ new: if you have the (old) sensors still, as a sanity check, I would also check the resistance (ohm) readings on old vs. new - to confirm the new sensors are "good", if here.
The reader I have just pulls codes, but the fans are kicking on. Just not sure the temp. The old sensors snapped when pulling them. Replaced both with new. I was thinking maybe the gauge sensor was a little wonky so I went to the junk yard and pulled one from a car that had tranny issues, not coolant, and put it in. It definitely settled the gauge down. The aftermarket was jumping a lot and the one from the bone yard is much more stable.

I am gonna go grab a thermostat at the dealership this afternoon and see if that works. I know the two I put in are working in the hot water in a pan test, but not sure what the temp is. It does seem like the gauge is showing a warmer opening than it should. I'll let you know.

·
1,758 Posts
I am gonna go grab a thermostat at the dealership this afternoon and see if that works. I know the two I put in are working in the hot water in a pan test, but not sure what the temp is. It does seem like the gauge is showing a warmer opening than it should. I'll let you know.
Great! Please report back as soon as you can run your Camry with the Toyota Thermostat and ask the Toyota Parts Counter if there's more than one Temperature rating. If so, I would get the lower to avoid your issues.

Best of luck and hope this cures your issues.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Also, if you order online from the dealer, it'll typically be cheaper than if you walk right in. For a commonly used part, like the thermotat, they'll usually have it same day and you can go and pick it up will-call. You can go to https://parts.toyota.com and click on the dealers close to you. My OEM thermostat was around ~$22. For the Gen4, it should be similar or even cheaper.

·
1,758 Posts
@imjohnnykelley

Seems like there is one TOYOTA Part Number for Thermostat on the 5S-FE (2.2 Liter) for all the years for GEN3 / GEN4!

eBay:

Toyota Dealer:

Again, I would WALK into your nearest TOYOTA Dealer and look at the Parts Counter person in the eye and verify using your VIN Number.

Attachments

·
1,758 Posts
RE: MSRP, I almost always negotiate with my local dealer and they do match other On-Line Toyota dealer prices.

Additionally, while at the dealer they always give me a printed diagram when dealing with a complex system or device that comes in multiple parts. Something you at times can’t get that personal attention from sitting in front of a computer or smart phone.

·
Registered
649 Posts
RE: MSRP, I almost always negotiate with my local dealer and they do match other On-Line Toyota dealer prices.

Additionally, while at the dealer they always give me a printed diagram when dealing with a complex system or device that comes in multiple parts. Something you at times can’t get that personal attention from sitting in front of a computer or smart phone.
It probably depends on the dealer. You're lucky you're near a good one. I've called my local dealer asking if they'd match an online price of a nearby dealer and they refused. Never bothered going to that dealer ever again. Instead I pick up parts from a dealer 1 or 2 towns away.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,904 Posts
The older stock of OE thermostats are Kuzeh, if you get a recent production one it will probably be Tama. Aisin tstats are (as far as I've seen) all reboxed Tama.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
766 Posts
OP,
Since you have tried two different thermostats to no avail, consider the ECT sensor that operates the fans being defective or the fan relay being intermittent.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. Here is what I have done. Put in an poem thermostat. The temp is much more stable, but running a bit hotter than I would like still. Not overheating. If driving it operates at normal temp with the gauge right in the middle. When I let it idle it runs at around 60% - 70%. So I got an infrared thermometer. The thermostat housing is running between 195-210. You can watch the temp drop to 195 when the stat cycles. Took reading from all over the radiator to look for hot and cold spots. It was basically all running at 180-185. The stat I put in is OEM at 180 degrees, so the radiator seems to be doing well.

So I started looking at the fans again. They are running quietly and turning off and on, cycling like normal. But they don't seem to be running as fast as other cars I have owned. So I pulled the plug on the passenger one to multimeter it and make sure it is getting full power (it is). While disconnected, the other fan started running at a much faster and what seems like normal fan speed. I plug back in the connector on the passenger fan, and both run at the faster (normal) fan speed. Then about 10 seconds later I hear one of the relays switch and they both start running at the slower speed again.

They are moving air, but don't seem to be running at full speed. Like a ceiling fan on low instead of high. Any ideas on this?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts