Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
795 Posts
Sure thing, glad to help.

It's important to "work the codes" first - I like your plan above / and kudos for verifying basic (compression) motor integrity to rule out mechanical first.

I would also concentrate on the DTC / at fuel injector #1, to start.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #82

It's important to "work the codes" first - I like your plan above / and kudos for verifying basic (compression) motor integrity to rule out mechanical first.

So crazy stuff has happened in the last hour. My UltraGauge came in. Bought it just so I could verify actual temps of the coolant. The coolant is running and staying between 200-212. Not moving beyond that. So it was definitely a gauge issue. When I plugged in the UltraGauge it leveled out the actual dash temp gauge the way the OBD scanner has been. But it did something else. It took away that short that is happening when I hit bumps. Gone. I went up and down my driveway a dozen times at different speeds. It had been sending up those split second codes and the rpms had been going up and down every time I did it. Now it doesn't do any of that. It also seemed to even out my idle when in gear. So I am thinking whatever short that was messing with the gauge had just gotten worse and this unit is now grounding it out and it no longer is doing that. I also know that the P0301 happened at a higher RPM, which was also when that short code was happening too, so I am interested to see if that comes back too. I will be going to pick the kids up from school in a little while and will see how she does....but as of right now, this dumb little UltraGauge seems to have stopped all the problems. I know there is still a loose wire somewhere, and I will keep looking for it, but this makes it much less pressing of an issue. Crazy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

So all the other issues are gone with the new UltraGauge, but the misfire code for cylinder one keeps coming back. It isn't regular. May go a day or two and then it will feel sluggish when accelerating and the code will come back. Have replaced the wires, plugs, and coils, and it keeps happening on just cylinder one. I know the compression is good. So I have a set of Denso injectors on the way to see if the issue is just fuel related. Got a great deal on a set of fully reconditioned OEM injectors. The injectors on it right now seem ok, but they are original and it has almost a quarter million miles on the car, and it was obviously not taken care of very well, so I figured either way, new injectors can't hurt. Will see if that is the issue. If it isn't, I am not sure where the problem would be beyond that. Any ideas besides the injectors on what could cause that issue? It only happens on cylinder 1 so I don't think it is a system wide issue, and after the injector I will have replaced pretty much everything that would cause it that I can think of.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Alright, so the saga seems to be coming to a close. Ordered the injectors. They came in, so I pulled the old ones out, and realized they sent me California emission injectors, not federal like I needed. So they are getting sent back. But in removing the old injectors I realized that the seals and o-rings were all shot. Rock hard, cracked, and chipped all over. So I am returning the Cali injectors, and instead of buying new federal ones, I bought new seal sets and o-rings for my injectors. I have a homemade injector cleaner I built out of a tire valve stem and a couple jumper wires for a 12v battery. Cleaned them all up. Put on the new seals and lubed it all up. While I had them out I scrubbed and cleaned the injector ports on the engine to make sure it gets a clean seat with the new seals. Reinstalled, and I think that was the vacuum leak rough idle I had been feeling. The misfire code is gone and it is running awesome. No more rough idle at a stop light. No more acceleration issues. Just seems to be everything that was causing those issues. Feeling accomplished. I bought a $300 non runner and now I have about $1000 into a great running daily driver that has had most issues addressed for the next few years. Should last a long time. I appreciate all the help. Was great having people to bounce ideas off of and figure out what was happening along the way!

81 - 84 of 84 Posts