Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 94 truck, coolant temp running hot, after driving on interstate for a few min. If driving around town no problem I have replaced thermostat still have problem anyone had this problem? thanks for any info!

·
rookie
796 Posts
I would start with spraying your radiator and if you have ac your condenser off with water to clean the fins of debris, are you one of those buttcheeses that puts a christmas wreath on your grille? well 2 items of news for ya bud, it aint christmas and and it aint helping your cooling problem.

be careful not to damage the radiator fins. I bet this will help out you might also be looking at a lean mixture issue. try the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Take your radiator cap off and look inside. Look for a chemical build up that might be clogging the tubes, preventing adequate flow.

If the rubber seal on the radiator cap shows signs of cracking the cap should be replaced.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
What you are describing could be, as previously described, a radiator problem. However it could also be an indication of a more serious problem such as a failing head gasket. So check the radiator out and if that is OK, check for combustion gases in your coolant.

·
Registered
92 Posts
And you might want to see if there is any oil in your coolant or if you smell something like cigars when its hot. That is a great sign of burning radiator fluid.

Of course, it might not smell like cigars at all, thats just the closest thing it reminds me of.

·
The boy ain't right
94 standard cab
72 Posts
Another vote for the radiator. My 94 did the same thing, ran hot on the interstate but OK (maybe a little warmer than normal) around town. Turned out to be a plugged rad. New one was $105 from carquest and you can install it in a half hour. Of course, this was after I replaced the thermostat, hoses, and water pump. Oh well, didn't hurt. Also, you may think it could be the fan clutch, but in my case the center of the rad was where the plug was, and since it never got as hot as the rest of the rad it tricked the fan clutch into thinking it was cooler than it was and the fan didn't run fast. Everything was fine after the new rad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts