Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded the speaker wire in the doors. I have 2019 S.E with the base entune radio. The factory system sucks! So I figured I would "JUST install a new system ….". Well its been a nightmare! 6x9 hole in front door but no 6x9s will fit!?? 6.5 holes in rear door but very shallow. Even Speaker brackets . IM getting aggravated just typing about it . Long story short I made a set out of wood. Then finding good speakers (components ) for front and matching coax for the rear . Nightmare. Finally decided on infinity kappas 6.5 front and 6.5 Cheap kappa for rear. and jl subs for rear. Got to take up trunk space for sub box, once again....nightmare, Forget the hole in the back its also useless. JBL don't even sell matching speakers!!!no
Ok now im thinking im good worst is over. NO! The speaker wire is about a 22 or 26 gauge! I purchased a 400 watt RMS. Skar amp for the door speakers. Went to pull new speaker wires and ill be damn, a molex connector in the rubber boot. Not to mention the speaker wires change color from one side of the connector to the other. Why? the point of that is... Im a journeyman electrician none of this makes any sense.
So....I just wired to the factory wiring, well it works until I turn it up then it will cut off until I turn it down. I can find the connection and fiux it but .
the size of the wire needs to be corrected.
ANY ideas.
drill connector not good, drill door and add gromments and wire mold? not good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can you share some info on why a 6x9 will not fit in the front doors? I have read a couple other post indicating they will fit.

Where were you feeding the amp back into the factory speaker wires? I was planning on doing the same thing and feeding the front door speakers via the wiring at the dash speakers to avoid having to tap any factory wiring.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Has anyone upgraded the speaker wire in the doors. I have 2019 S.E with the base entune radio. The factory system sucks! So I figured I would "JUST install a new system ….". Well its been a nightmare! 6x9 hole in front door but no 6x9s will fit!?? 6.5 holes in rear door but very shallow. Even Speaker brackets . IM getting aggravated just typing about it . Long story short I made a set out of wood. Then finding good speakers (components ) for front and matching coax for the rear . Nightmare. Finally decided on infinity kappas 6.5 front and 6.5 Cheap kappa for rear. and jl subs for rear. Got to take up trunk space for sub box, once again....nightmare, Forget the hole in the back its also useless. JBL don't even sell matching speakers!!!no
Ok now im thinking im good worst is over. NO! The speaker wire is about a 22 or 26 gauge! I purchased a 400 watt RMS. Skar amp for the door speakers. Went to pull new speaker wires and ill be damn, a molex connector in the rubber boot. Not to mention the speaker wires change color from one side of the connector to the other. Why? the point of that is... Im a journeyman electrician none of this makes any sense.
So....I just wired to the factory wiring, well it works until I turn it up then it will cut off until I turn it down. I can find the connection and fiux it but .
the size of the wire needs to be corrected.
ANY ideas.
drill connector not good, drill door and add gromments and wire mold? not good.
The front door is not made for 6x9s, it's made for 5.25-6.75" with a plate adapter that a) gives you some extra depth, and b) moves the speaker cone closer to the door panel so it sounds better.

Where were you feeding the amp back into the factory speaker wires? I was planning on doing the same thing and feeding the front door speakers via the wiring at the dash speakers to avoid having to tap any factory wiring.
This is the way I did it. It's not too difficult to run new wires up from the kick panel to the dash speakers, especially if you remove the side dash panel first and lower them through the top.

·
6,635 Posts
As I found and mentioned times and times, car manufacturers go to lengths to make OEM speakers very hard to replace. Speakers normally have custom baffles permanently attached to them and THAT is what openings match. So indeed, size means squat, it's the baffle that you have to work with. Or, drill holes for new hardware, cut existing holes, etc. been, done.
OP, do you have tweeters?
If I can make a suggestion for the trunk....
this:
actually works very well. I am surprised. Of course, unless you, judging by 400rms for the doors, want a ground shaker in the trunk. But, otherwise, for the money, and very small size, it does great.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Speakers must be mounted on adapters and not directly to the door. The adapters add the depth needed for many speakers.

Should post pictures of your problems since Toyotas are easy to swap speakers with.

Front/rear aftermarket speaker adapters on Toyotas work great.

Never had any problems fitting 6x9's in Camry doors.

Door card might need trimming for some overly thick top mounted speakers to prevent the speaker from hitting the door panel. Use speaker foam rings to seal speaker against the door panel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
taco tunes adapters with a set of morel 6.5 components. i ran new wire through the connector. removed all the old wiring and ran my own. had to do a little drilling in the connector. mine is a 18 non jbl

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your response. I actually went from the back off the radio speaker level input to a Dsp mounted under the passenger seat . RCA cables to two skar amps 100 rms x 4 mounted to the back seats. In the front doors infinity kappa 60 Csx components . I added infinity kappa Mx mids to the dash and tweeters to the A piller.
Got to get new wire to the doors and find a way to remount the piller speakers for better imaging . If anyone has any ideas on mounting the piller speakers it would be appreciated. Again thanks for your response

1 - 7 of 7 Posts