Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 toyota corolla ce
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im in a bit of a situation. after thouroughly going through my car trunk behind the trunk wall carpet i found this:

from 1-10 how much work would this be and how bad is it? Sorry for my crappy photo-taking im thinking of cutting as much as i can and welding on steel to simulate the pockets on the sides but thats all the rust other than the wheel wells:headbang:
btw the trunk wheel well hole is the problem the rest was dirt

·
Toyota Collector
12,163 Posts
I hate to tell you but that's quite extensive, would probably rate it a 7/10. Ten is when the outer and inner rocker panels are gone completely all the way along the car.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
At a minimum, that would fail state safety inspection here. The little bit where your spare tire tools can be fixed with fiberglass. If that hole was less than a square inch or two in area in the wheel well I would also say that can be fixed with fiberglass as well. The problem there is that is just what you can see, so figure metal on 3-4 inches either side is compromised as well. That is a pretty major weld in that area, and also close enough to the strut tower to concern me. I would take it to a professional but I think that might be just too much to safely fix.

·
Registered
36 Posts
probably to much money, to do it yourself you could just get a car out of a wrecking yard if your motor is good and swap motor and interior over. Or if you are to in love with the car cut out that section of a car at the junkyard and cut out your section weld it up and paint it. If it was me I'd probably drive the car till it fell apart, but then again I'm all about toyotas and know rust is a issue in the 80s and early 90s cars, but I'll drive it till the car falls apart then build something out of the motor.

·
Registered
2003 toyota corolla ce
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted to note that the side trunk pocket holes it's just the holes the rust didn't succeed any further and all around the wheel hump was dirt not rust lol it's just that one hole it didn't go any further than one inch from hole from which I'm cutting and plying it with steel. And I decided that I wanted to tackle it for the bodywork experience from one of my friend mechanics

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,761 Posts
^Read up and research about rustproofing and corrosion protection for Toyotas. They have specific procedures to do if you're going to start cutting and welding. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for future rust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.