Toyota Nation Forum banner

Rust on rotor face??

9904 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Elucia69
Hey guys,
just singed up, need your input and opinions.

I just got my 2010 Corolla XRS serviced at the dealer. They said my front brake pads were still in great shape, but had to change the rotors (125 000 KM - roughly 77K miles).

Its been a week. It has rained. Usually, I understand there is normal rusting of the rotor surface, but when I drive off and brake, the pads take care of that. Usually, the faces of my rotors are fully "clean" after breaking. But now there is about 1/4 in on top AND on bottom of the surface where the pads don't seem to touch at all. Makes a rust line on top and bottome of the rotor surface, NOT in the middle. Sent some pics at Toyota and they say its normal, but it wasn't like this before.

What do you guys think? wouldn't want my rotors to use up unevenly then eventually when I change the brake pads it all goes to ....

Thanks in advance for opinions / suggestions.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Your first mistake was taking it to a dealer. I have never had service at a dealer where I wasn't over-charged, or where they tried to sell me something I didn't need.

The rust is normal. That being said, rotors aren't meant to last forever. Every time you apply the brakes a microscopic amount of metal is shaved off of the rotors. Rotors can become too thin to be safe.

Also, rotors can become warped if your wheels are torqued too tightly.

If I were you I would have the rotors replaced the next time you get new pads. Aftermarket parts dealers sell rotors for a lot less than the dealer.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

thanks for the reply!!

It might not have been clear in the intro of my message, but i DID have the rotors change (all wheels) about a week ago.

At the rear wheels, the pads were changed. At the front, they were still in good shape (straight at 8mm, I witnessed this) and they slapped the old front pads on the new front rotors.

Just to clear things up.

Cheers!

· Registered
519 Posts
whom did the job ?

I'd never replace rotors... with new
and then use the old brake pads.
Even if the pads were only slightly worn.

I think someone sold you crappy chinese mfgr'd rotors.

but realize...
you will usually get what ya pay for.

I purchase the factory original rotors and pads for this reason.

The rust likely won't hurt anything...
but will look rather unsightly.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, to clarify OP,rotors and pads were bought new directly from Toyota as genuine parts, at high cost. I trust my dealership as, here in Montreal, te have rave reviews and I have never had any problem with their service ou work before.

So part quality or compatibility is not the issues. Front pads, even if used, were also genuine replacements.

Thanks

· Registered
159 Posts
If its all factory OEM parts you should be good to go. Toyota may have made a specification change in the part...could be as little as a different antirust/shipping coating etc or maybe the mechanic cleaned off the coating real thoughly with brake clean which he should do anyway. The rust should not cause any problems with braking performance now or in the future.

Jason

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Brutpwr

thanks for the reply!

I actually brough the car back because grooves were starting to form on the rotor. They checked it and it turns out the front pads were used up croocked and they hadn't noticed it when the first did the job. They changed them with new parts without charging any labor and OEM part (pads) at cost.

Problem solved. No more rust on the face of the rotor.

Not going back to Toyota though, it doesn't inspire trust when changing brakes is a challenge ;)

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.