Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
01 Solara/12 Highlander
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2000 Sienna with 150k failed inspection for leaking rear cylindars (because I've fixed every thing else and they couldnt find any other thing wrong.... lol) But the son just called and said they are rusted so bad he can't get them off... Which might mean he's too lazy to try other things! Anyway... Anyone else have this issue and how did you handle it... I'd drill them out but clearences are tight... Thanks in advance!!

Warren

·
Registered
392 Posts
Otherwise......purchase NEW bolts.......
If the rear brake cylinders are leaking.......you are looking at replacing them anyhow.....so....with NEW bolts handy.....who cares if the old ones break.....get drilled out....strip out?
I have NOT replaced the rear cylinders for my Sienna drum brakes.....but on my Windstar, the brake line connection to the cylinder was my biggest issue in getting free.

·
01 Solara/12 Highlander
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Otherwise......purchase NEW bolts.......
If the rear brake cylinders are leaking.......you are looking at replacing them anyhow.....so....with NEW bolts handy.....who cares if the old ones break.....get drilled out....strip out?
I have NOT replaced the rear cylinders for my Sienna drum brakes.....but on my Windstar, the brake line connection to the cylinder was my biggest issue in getting free.
Thanks Wiswind! Just what I did last night. All new bolts... Had to cut the old bolts off on the one side because the son use a 12 point socket on the instead of a 6... I got the other side off without a problem. The new ones are installed and going back for re-inspection today.....

·
Registered
392 Posts
Don;t feel bad......it is normal for things to be rusty back there.
They sell rebuild kits......but for the cost of a new one.....that is done right......I prefer to replace and not have to worry about any issues for another 10 years.
For the front calipers......once they start sticking or leaking......I plan to just replace them also.
Otherwise......it is a constant battle trying to keep them from sticking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.