Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
GTS power
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for get a used, 99 or 2000 RX300. It's very nice, interior etc etc.... but while I'm doing more research online, I figured there are so many owner complaint about the transmission problem they have. A lot of them has to replace their transmission at $5000+ without warranty coverage!! Anyone has experience?

·
Registered
18 Posts
RacingGTS said:
I'm looking for get a used, 99 or 2000 RX300. It's very nice, interior etc etc.... but while I'm doing more research online, I figured there are so many owner complaint about the transmission problem they have. A lot of them has to replace their transmission at $5000+ without warranty coverage!! Anyone has experience?
The vehicle your refereing too, like most lexus products are specific to Toyota Type IV trani fluid.

make sure the vehicle has ONLY had this fluid put in..

A lexus tech once told me to drain and fill the Rx300 trani every 30,00o km and it would last the life of the engine.

The vehicle is the same as the highlander that they don't have a history of trani problems.

Toyota trani's are actually pretty reliable, but like all other mechanical stuff, need periodic maintance.

If your shopping for an RX try to get one NOT from Lexus dealer, but that has still had all the maintenance.
Once you buy the vehicle do an engine flush and switch to synthetic... Don't bother researching trani problems, your just scaring yourself out of purchasing a great car... Do a search on sludge instead, you'll find LOTS of info.

Good luck and happy testdrives,

BTW where in TO you located?
Fern

·
Registered
Silverado/Lex RX300
19 Posts
RX300 Transmission reliabilty

I'm a member of 2 Lexus RX300-330 forums. There are many unhappy owners of AWD RX300-330 owners who are $4000-$6000 lighter due to transmission failures. The FWD RX300-330 have much less transmission problems than the AWD vehicles. My wife's 2000 RX300 has the Lexus Certified Warranty but it is a battle trying to get the dealer to honor it in many instances. How can an engine mount be a " wear item " on a vehicle with just 55,000 miles? Also, I don't think the service techs at the Lexus dealer can diagnose anything unless the vehicle's check-engine light comes on. If a computer doesn't do it for them, then there is no problem. For almost $100.00 an hour the experience is total rip-off!

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
^^ i've had nothing but great service from the dealership. We were 300 miles away from loosing our powertrain warranty, thankfully we got a nice tranny set up (at dealership cost) minus like 24 bucks in misc parts that we had to pay. this was for an Es not an Rx. I think dealerships have the knowledge, its just one needs to have a relationship with them to avail a better service IMO!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts