Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving this, my wife’s car, when she smelled something like oil burning. I looked around for a truck or something, then within twenty seconds the oil light on the dash flashed quickly. I slowed, found a place to pull over and had it towed to the closest Toyota dealer. The nearest Lexus dealer was fifty miles away so we weren't going there.

I watched as the mechanic pulled the shrouding off and found the leak. There was just about no oil in the engine. It had puked its whole oil load out on the highway in under twenty seconds. The mechanic put some oil in it, ran it for about five seconds and got a good oil shower.

It seems that this engine requires some oil cooling and in their infinite wisdom, Toyota ran oil lines outside the block and up to the oil cooler which is some kind of interface with the cooling system. Unbelievably, these high pressure oil lines are rubber. In this case one of the rubber lines had a small leak which was torn open by the pressure.

Here's a picture of the part.

On the engine, this two hose manifold part is close to the front of the engine, low on the left side (radiator side). In the diagram below, I've colored it red.

A Toyota dealer can't order a Lexus part all that easily, and it took several days for the part to arrive and get installed. At this time the Toyota dealer is unsure of the extent of the engine damage. All the mechanics that looked at this part, and there have been many, shake their heads. Running 80psi (or more) oil in a rubber hose is a time bomb, a guaranteed failure ahead. It was interesting to see that the replacement part is now hard metal pipes, but I believe that the change was not made until the 2012 models. So, at least 2007 to 2011 engines have this fault, and perhaps earlier.

Folks, Mr. Toyoda was called before the United States Congress in February 2010 to explain to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform how Toyota had lost its way in safety, quality and reliability. My engine might be ruined, and I fully believe that the 2007 to 2009 Toyotas are the worst that Toyota has ever manufactured. Junk.

This faulty part is much more dangerous to your vehicle that the VVT oil hose in my opinion. It is the subject of a technical service bulletin. Maybe get yours swapped to the new part. It's maybe $400 to do it, but it might save you some real financial pain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toyota and Lexus Engine Oil cooling hose explodes

I purchased a used Lexus RX350 that was pristine...all service done and garage kept. This was January 2016. In February 2016 the engine oil cooling hose exploded and blew up my motor.

In August 2014 the previous owner had this hose leaking as described in Warranty Enhancement ZLC. Rather than the long drive to Lexus he took it to a local Toyota dealer for service. You see he never received the notice and still to this day has not. I know this because he gave me a March 2013 recall notice still in the envelope for the dash board cracking and Lexus still has not received the parts to replace that as of today. This Toyota dealer who is dealing with the same issues on some of their models didn't tell him either. Both Lexus and Toyota models are mentioned in the bulletin the dealer gets. The Toyota dealer doesn't alert him of anything and installs an aftermarket hose and charged him over $300.00 for the repair.
Now I have a blown motor from a clear case of negligence.

If you have had this issue, even if you were lucky enough to get yours fixed please contact the Federal Trade Commission at 877-382-4357. This is how a class action lawsuit can get started. It doesn't take long to file the complaint. Please take time to do this so those of us in bad situations can get help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This faulty part is much more dangerous to your vehicle that the VVT oil hose in my opinion. It is the subject of a technical service bulletin. Maybe get yours swapped to the new part. It's maybe $400 to do it, but it might save you some real financial pain.
there was a recall on the VVT line. are you saying this oil line was not recalled? i agree it should be replaced by a metal line, really bad engineering. when i replaced my VVT line for metal (even before the recall was announced), i noticed the rubber was labeled ATF or something similar. it was even wrong material. BTW, my cost was like $20 and i was reimbursed by the recall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rubber oil line recall

In Canada the rubber oil line was recalled. In the Excited States of America, Lexus has yet to step up to the plate on this. In my experience, the oil line does not "seep" very much. Any breach opens up immediately because of the high pressure. In my case there was no drip or noticeable leak, and then the next minute the oil was gone. Puked on the road in under a minute.

I doubt Lexus US will give you much satisfaction on this, it's just an old wore out Lexus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the part number to replace this line on a 2007 RX 350? My car is going in tomorrow for the lower oil cooler part # 15767-31020 and the shop got the VVT oil line from Lexus and it has a piece of rubber in the middle and I told him to send it back, they already replaced that one at the recall and I want to replace it with a solid steel line. That is the number I need. Lexus says it is 15707-31030, but that has rubber in the middle. I wonder if they are just trying to get rid of all of them. Toyota has a 15772-31030 but the fitment specs say it won't fit. Any help?

·
Super Moderator
12,682 Posts
Hard to say why Toyota says that p/n is not compatible, but it is. Here’s a DIY for replacing it on the 2GR-FE motor in a Camry.

I’ve read that the replacement part with a rubber section uses a higher grade rubber line that stands up much better. But I’d take that with a grain of salt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts