Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so if I'm stuck in traffic going 5-10 mph, and I put it in S2, will that hurt my transmission/engine? Or should I just be braking with my brakes?

·
Registered
239 Posts
All that will do is limit the car to using 1st and 2nd gear. Honestly that's probably better than D for driving in traffic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doing so won't hurt the engine/transmission.

You should use your brakes to stop the car instead of the engine brake. Engine brake is good with the manual transmission but is not suitable for the automatic transmission. Automatic transmission use metal sleeves which draft around the gears to stop them. The metal sleeves are cheap, but the transmission will have to be disassembled to replace them. Brake job is less expensive than a transmission job, so use the brakes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Doing so won't hurt the engine/transmission.

You should use your brakes to stop the car instead of the engine brake. Engine brake is good with the manual transmission but is not suitable for the automatic transmission. Automatic transmission use metal sleeves which draft around the gears to stop them. The metal sleeves are cheap, but the transmission will have to be disassembled to replace them. Brake job is less expensive than a transmission job, so use the brakes.
Either types of transmission performing engine braking is not ideal. For manual transmssion it will wear out the syncros faster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts