Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since my camry blew up its seccond trans, im strongly considering selling it. i looked up in the KBB, and it said for a car like mine, in the shape its in roughly $2k, and im going to subtract about $500-$700 for a transmission replacement.
its got: new front- shocks, brakes, steering rack, spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, PCV valve, front valve cover gasket (i have and it needs a back), WATER PUMP, and TIMING BELT!, CV SHAFTS (both), rear brakes, head lights (highs and low's)-silverstars, radiator, both front window reg's, battery, drivers side interior, and exterior door handles, Y-pipe, and cat, thats about all i can think of...
I have at least $3000 invested in the car, but then there's the bad...
paint is dying in the front, clear coat is chipping off around the door, and hood mostly on the driver's side, the trans. is hardly usable it will shake you to death when trying to go anywhere, the back shocks could use an update, but they are working well for now, probably will last a good bit longer, thats about all the bad there is on this car.

so what do you guys think? im kinda tired of shoving money into it, most likely after i put a trans in it, the motor will explode, shredding the whole car into a million pieces. my time with this car is nearing an end.
anybody want it?

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
If you can't afford random repairs, you definately can't afford a descent sized car payment. :\ Besides 2 grand buys you like. A Civic, or a beater miata. mmmmm beater miata. yummy! :)
Then again I've yet to kill my -$250 Civic. Yes... That was a negative. LoL!

Look at whatelse you could get & be content with before you ditch what you have. You always know what's wrong with what you've got. May wanna try to part off any mods worth anything tho. Or get them ready for a vehicle swap.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
1,820 Posts
Sounds like you have a lemon. You would think that showing all the repairs you've made on it recently would help the sale, but most people including myself do not buy cars that have had a ton of new parts put on it because it's a sign of a lemon. I would probably just try and sell it for cheap, like $1,000. Nobody wants a car that they're going to have to buy a new tranny for it right away.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Cut your losses as best you can, they are only going to get worse. Sorry you've had so much trouble, but I think its time to look for a better car.

·
5S-FU
96 Toyota Camry LE
600 Posts
Hope this isn't my case, as I just changed my tranny, new brake pads in front, resurfaced rotors and drums, replaced rear main engine seal, valve cover gasket, distributor o-ring, and I still have to fix the front CVs, and the whole trio... (camshaft seal, timing belt, water pump) Another thing is the a/c compressor might need to be changed, I dunno.

I'm willing to invest in it, because I believe the damage was because of a lack of care from my folks who neglected the hell out of it, and made it sit in the garage for like 4 years.....

·
Registered
226 Posts
94CoupeV6 said:
Sounds like you have a lemon. You would think that showing all the repairs you've made on it recently would help the sale, but most people including myself do not buy cars that have had a ton of new parts put on it because it's a sign of a lemon. I would probably just try and sell it for cheap, like $1,000. Nobody wants a car that they're going to have to buy a new tranny for it right away.
I dont really agree with this.. Being a car that is over 10 years old you're obviously going to have to put something into the car. Drive axle can wear out over time, brakes are normal maintenance etc.. A car is not going to last a lifetime without maintenance.. If they did, people wouldn't be updating their cars all the time..

After working for the local toyota dealer for 6 years, we had this kid (17yrs old) who's father bought him a 1997 toyota camry with 81k on it.. This thing was spotless. They let the car go for $4800 out the door.. Not a bad price seeing that this was in 2000.. There was no warranty on the car.. Clearly stated "as is".. 7 months after the sale, the kid came back in with the car saying that the tranny was slipping and that he bought a lemon and he wants to sue or his money back. Well long story short, he couldnt sue because it was an "as is" sale. This once spotless camry had a cold air intake, lowering springs, a leopard headliner and 17" wheels just to name a few.. He leaves the parking lot, doesnt even stop the car to put the car in drive.. And now he wants a new transmission....

I'm not saying that this is the same in your case at all but some people just dont realize the basics of maintaining a car.. The hardest thing on a transmission going right through the gears without stopping.. Yes, there could of been a defect in the transmission, but when you bought the car, was there a problem with it?

Having a car with alot of new parts would in my opinion help the sale.. It shows the the previous owner took time to acknowledge that it needed repairs and had them fixed.. Alot of people dont understand that they're buying a used car.. The car is "as is" unless there's a warranty written, expressed or implied.. His car is not a lemon, its an older car that will require maintenance just like an other car out on the road..

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i believe the car was abused before my ownership. thats what i believed killed the original trans. the most, also the 2nd trans was a used one (cant remember the milage). ive just been keeping up with routiene maintanance, all of which ive done myself. im just tired of dealing with it. ive also got an 85 300zx, which i was planning to put (sink) money into.

the car only has about 140K on it, so it shouldnt be having too much troubble. ive had it 2 years now, and been working on it (literally) since the day i bought it.

·
5S-FU
96 Toyota Camry LE
600 Posts
It's a shame that you can't really hear what's wrong with the tranny. I mean you can feel slippage, but sometimes dealers pass that off as normal.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Toysrme said:
If you can't afford random repairs, you definately can't afford a descent sized car payment.

This is only half true. I could afford a 400 a month payment. What I can't afford is a $400 dollar repair that leaves me without a way to get to work or school. My cars are paid for so any major sign of trouble and I can afford to ditch them. If your ride is paid for then each month set aside what ever the payment was and use that for repairs. A one time expense of 1000 is better then 5 years at 300 a month.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would rebuild it myself, but overhaul kit costs $520 my price (discounted), and i can get a used trans for that much. im prolly gonna drop a used trans in it, and sell it. where's a good place to pick up a torque converter?

·
FROM V6 TO 4BANGER :(
1995 toyota camry
113 Posts
just curious, do you have any pics of the car? I may be looking for another camry to play with. We own a business, so tranny swap is no biggie. Id like to see the car, and maybe get a price the way it is?? I am in NC, so you arent too far either, and we have a rollback to pick up. Let me know. Thanks.

:D Candyce

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
prolly about $1500, PM sent.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DAGONIT!!!!
i checked NAPA, overhaul kit- (my price) $172-ish. retail-$270.
so now im thinking of rebuilding the trans, new torque converter, aftermarket trans cooler. i believe strongly i can do it, just need to know if anyone's done it before on this forum, any pointers, or things to watch out for?

lol, knowing my luck, id end up driving it afterwards, and falling in love again...
choosing to sell, or keep is a tough one!

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Weren't you going to put a manual in your car? What happened to that Idea?...I'd sell it to the lady in Carolina if it were me....the 300Z may be a money pit too!

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the manual idea is too much money, and too many hard to find parts...
im just gonna drop my trans, open it up, see whats broken, and go from there....
once there is a trans in it, i need a new windshield (cracked when it got cold), and a cat back exhaust...then it will be a fun car again. i miss it.

btw, im liking an idea i got from a 1mz guy, run resonator, then 2.5" pipe, all the way back. and im gonna use a magnaflow 6" round (2.5"in/out) as a resonator!

this is where i got the idea...http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t178314.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts