Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2015 Corolla auto has 153,813 now 157,619 miles and I never changed the transmission oil.
Is it still wise to drain only and refill, instead of flushing? Or did I wait to long and the friction in the oil is too drastically different and might risk slipping if I change now?

In the morning is about 45 degree in Los Angeles. When I put my gear into Reverse in the cold there’s a hard shift. When it’s warmer up, driving throughout the day I still feel a delay in shifting 0.5-1 second. Is the shift delay caused by transmission fluid?

if This a good video to follow?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About how many quarts of transmission fluid do I need if I just flush and refill? Thank you 🙏

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the dealer do a drain and fill on mine at 50k miles. Looks intimidating doing it yourself and I dont know much about what can happen if you over/under fill it. Hopefully these CVT's will last the life of the car if serviced regularly. I plan on keeping mine til 300+K miles. I'm curious of the life expectancy of these transmissions.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,936 Posts
Was the prograamming recall done on this transmission when it was released in 2018/2019? I would assume so because without it, the California DMV won't let you renew your tags (I had to get the recall done before I renewed for 2021)

Yes, The Corolla CVT uses a different fluid than the WS used on most models.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It is a fairly good video and he explains the level check well at the end (better than I did).
He also pointed out that he may not have drained enough oil to begin with as the car is not level with the front raised, as the drain hole is towards the front.
For the oil level check Toyota wants the car to be level within 1 degree, which translates to an axle height difference of 1.85 inches max. Tricky to do, specially on a sloping driveway.
At 50k miles though, the 2 quart change is probably good enough
For the OP's 150K mile car, I would do the full pan drop so you can change the filter and get the debris out of the pan and clean off the 3 magnets. I put a video in the sticky section on how to do that, including a 4 wheel ramp lift to keep the car level

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was the prograamming recall done on this transmission when it was released in 2018/2019? I would assume so because without it, the California DMV won't let you renew your tags (I had to get the recall done before I renewed for 2021)

Yes, The Corolla CVT uses a different fluid than the WS used on most models.
Yes all the recalls are done and up to date. Correct I wasn’t able to register without taking care of recall first.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a fairly good video and he explains the level check well at the end (better than I did).
He also pointed out that he may not have drained enough oil to begin with as the car is not level with the front raised, as the drain hole is towards the front.
For the oil level check Toyota wants the car to be level within 1 degree, which translates to an axle height difference of 1.85 inches max. Tricky to do, specially on a sloping driveway.
At 50k miles though, the 2 quart change is probably good enough
For the OP's 150K mile car, I would do the full pan drop so you can change the filter and get the debris out of the pan and clean off the 3 magnets. I put a video in the sticky section on how to do that, including a 4 wheel ramp lift to keep the car level
Thank you for the insight and comment. I don’t really know how to get the car level because my driveway has a good slope. Going to be a challenge.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speedometer Tachometer Odometer Gauge Automotive design

^160,093 miles
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Trunk Bumper

^ sludgy brown, all 3 magnets look round.
Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

^huge amount of metal caught in magnets
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

^cleaned transmission pan
Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Art Electronic device

^new transmission fluid filter
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Grey

^cleaned magnets
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive exterior

^ Transmission fluid in the light, no pink color at all.
Automotive tire Font Cookware and bakeware Gas Automotive wheel system

^ transmission fluid at 160,093 miles
Blue Automotive tire Water Cylinder Gas

^ A little over 4 L of transmission fluid taking out
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Gas stove Automotive tire

^ Fresh new can of 4 L transmission FE fluid from Osaka Japan

Thank you for all the replies.

*Note: cannot go into Dianogstic mode for fluid level check if you have CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!

·
Registered
763 Posts
View attachment 378884
^160,093 miles
View attachment 378885
^ sludgy brown, all 3 magnets look round.
View attachment 378886
^huge amount of metal caught in magnets
View attachment 378889
^cleaned transmission pan
View attachment 378892
^new transmission fluid filter
View attachment 378894
^cleaned magnets
View attachment 378896
^ Transmission fluid in the light, no pink color at all.
View attachment 378897
^ transmission fluid at 160,093 miles
View attachment 378898
^ A little over 4 L of transmission fluid taking out
View attachment 378899
^ Fresh new can of 4 L transmission FE fluid from Osaka Japan

Thank you for all the replies.

*Note: cannot go into Dianogstic mode for fluid level check if you have CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!
This is why I buy the Toyota FE fluid. That fluid is manufactured in Japan. Aisin FE fluid isn’t made in Japan. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Filter is the right shape - did it come with an O-ring or did you have to swap the old one on to it?
That sludgy brown color doesn't look good, almost like water got in it??? Are there any dings or dents on the heat exchanger? front bottom of the trans. Looks like this...
Gesture Circle Elbow Drawing Thumb

I know the oil smells bad, but did it smell of coolant at all??
How is it driving now??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good thing you got that changed out. I plan on changing mine every 30k miles. Most people don't realize how important transmission fluid changes are. Most transmissions failures are simply due to not servicing the transmission.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Filter is the right shape - did it come with an O-ring or did you have to swap the old one on to it?
That sludgy brown color doesn't look good, almost like water got in it??? Are there any dings or dents on the heat exchanger? front bottom of the trans. Looks like this...
View attachment 378934
I know the oil smells bad, but did it smell of coolant at all??
How is it driving now??
You have to buy O-ring separate.
I’ll have to check the heat exchange when I have a chance. I did not check it.

The new pink transmission fluid has sweet aroma, like candy. Old transmission fluid is dark without any pink color at all, but DIDN’T smell burnt. I did not notice any coolant smell, but my coolant is on low right now at the bottom of the line. I’ve never had a coolant or change coolant.

When shifting to reverse first thing in the morning, I believe hard shifting has gone away! But I’ll need notice it a few more times to confirm. I do feel also, when accelerating as become smoother. You can see I had a lot of sludge n the magnets!

0888602505 CVT FLUID FE 4L
7702402230 Fuel Filter
3516812091 Transmission oil pan gasket
9030122014 Ring, O (For oil strainer)
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Paper

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did your original hard shift / delayed shift issue go away with the fluid change?
I haven’t noticed that delay in the shift, I’ll need to drive more to remember to notice for it.
When shifting to reverse first thing in the morning, I believe hard shifting has gone away! But I only tried intentially try to notice it once which was the next day I drove. But I’ll need notice it a few more times to confirm. I do feel when accelerating it has become smoother at slower speeds. I’m a driving instructor and when students push the accelerator too quick at slow speeds 5-25mph I feel a jerk/jump/choppy acceleration. You can see I had a lot of sludge n the magnets!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts