Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Has anyone safely jacked up the 2010 Camry by the framerails using a hydraulic jack? I want to rotate my tires, but not sure if this is safe. My plan is to jack at the framerail between the front and rear doors and put the jack stands on the pinch welds.

Has anyone ever done this? If not, what have you done to rotate your tires?

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
If you set the jack just behind the front wheel on that spot on the rail that is designed for this it will lift the entire side of the car, weight balance being what it is. I've never needed 2 jacks for this task.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you set the jack just behind the front wheel on that spot on the rail that is designed for this it will lift the entire side of the car, weight balance being what it is. I've never needed 2 jacks for this task.
Let me make sure I get it...are you talking about putting the jack on the thin pinch weld behind the front wheel or on the frame rail behind the front wheel?

I've tried jacking up one entire side of the car from the pinch welds, and I did not get both wheels off the ground.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
I'm putting a bottle jack on the body pan rail behind the pinch seam, about 10 inches back. Not the middle of the door but about 2/3 of the way up. That is close to the center of gravity. If you are concerned with damage, put a little wood block between the jack and body.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would use the designated jack points on in the center of front and rear, and put jack stands under all four stand points.

Like this:

That way you know you'll be safe... I need a new floor jack now though, my cheap 2ton doesn't go high enough to get the stands set high enough to remove the wheels... I have to keep it on the jack on the front and have the stands there for safety... :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to use a spare wheel,,,, and rotate one wheel at a time ??
No risky lifting of whole or even half the car. Probaly can even use toyota jack in trunk (not hydraulic >> wont collapse !!!!).
May not really be much more work and a lot less grief. My 2 cents :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
^ far more work than you realize. you jack up the car up and down 3 times for EACH side if you use a spare tire.

it's much easier to jack from the frame rails once on each side. do what gdanaher suggested, i've done this many times on my 2005.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm putting a bottle jack on the body pan rail behind the pinch seam, about 10 inches back. Not the middle of the door but about 2/3 of the way up. That is close to the center of gravity. If you are concerned with damage, put a little wood block between the jack and body.
^^
what about jack stands ,,,, do you use them at same time , or just bottle jack ???

Also, why not normal hydraulic flloor jack instead of bottle jack, will it fit ??

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Sure it will fit and may be a better choice, but fewer guys have them and they are more expensive, so I simply suggested a bottle jack. Jack stands are always a good idea for safety, but you aren't getting under the car at all, just swapping wheels. PS, it's a good idea to loosen the lugs a bit before doing any jacking at all. I would not try to use the Toyota supplied jack. It isn't designed to handle half the car, just a corner.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sure it will fit and may be a better choice, but fewer guys have them and they are more expensive, so I simply suggested a bottle jack. Jack stands are always a good idea for safety, but you aren't getting under the car at all, just swapping wheels. PS, it's a good idea to loosen the lugs a bit before doing any jacking at all. I would not try to use the Toyota supplied jack. It isn't designed to handle half the car, just a corner.
Even my crappy 2ton floor jack seems to struggle with half this fat car, haha.:lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, lifting the entire side (either right or left) of car with ONE jack is OK ?? wont car bend ???
Seems like lots of stress on thin sheet metal of medium heavy car !!!!

Maybe, TWO toyota jacks on "one side" pinch rail to lift side of car.
(can get second toyota jack really cheap)

Should be safe for person and car. Seems quick. What you think ??

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Y'all do what you want to do, but first go down to your local tire shop, stand there for 10 minutes and watch the kids jack cars manually to get one or two tires off one side. They don't bend, crack in half, or fold up, and if the brake is set, they generally don't roll off the jack, either. This just isn't rocket science folks. Maybe if you are 22 and never jacked with anything made out of steel this is all new, but have a little faith.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK, thanks for assurance.
This is my first front wheel drive small car i ever owned. All my other cars (for the last forty years) were heavy duty and could be jacked-up anywhere.

·
Rockman59
10 Posts
what have you done to rotate your tires?

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
be careful with type of jack ur using and just use some jack stands and u'll be fine. me and sean lowered his car and swapped wheels few weeks ago no prob. when u jack it up u'll see the spots to put the stands.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts