Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding is that safety connect in the 2019 Rav4 uses cell phone signals to keep track of the car, communicate with the safety connect staff when I press the "call" button, etc. It's like having a cell phone in your car without a dial pad. I'm concerned about the constant microwave/RF radiation being generated just 6-7 inches from my head while I"m driving.

How can i disable the cell phone signal that is in safety connect? Unsubscribing to safety connect service doesn't disable this "cell phone" in my car, does it?

thanks.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
1,878 Posts
All the wireless data or the antenna that captures all of that is the shark fin antenna in the rear which should have isolation around it. If you want to Opt-out of the connected services, which will also opt-out from remote connect, you will most likely need to call Toyota to deactivate it or you could try turning off Convenience services (suggestion function) from entune. Should be in settings > vehicle section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that reply. I was using an RF meter, and the radiation i detected was from the "gizmo" that has the "call buttons" next to the rearview mirror.

I'm assuming "opting-out" of the connected services will stop broadcasting cell phone signals from the "safety connect" device(s) in the car, will it?

thanks.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
1,878 Posts
Thanks for that reply. I was using an RF meter, and the radiation i detected was from the "gizmo" that has the "call buttons" next to the rearview mirror.

I'm assuming "opting-out" of the connected services will stop broadcasting cell phone signals from the "safety connect" device(s) in the car, will it?

thanks.
You will still be able to make phone calls via bluetooth connection or carplay connection but the car should stop broadcasting.

·
6,656 Posts
To be honest, you are asking for impossible. You are, like all of us, immersed in various radiations. starting with AC current in your house, then phones, TV, radios, cell phones, computers, microwaves and so on. Every time you drive past power line or cell phone tower, you get a blast.
Short of wearing full blown grounded Faraday cage, you WILL be showered in all that.
Sorry.
Gizmo with "dial buttons" next to mirror? Is that Homelink?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest, you are asking for impossible. You are, like all of us, immersed in various radiations. starting with AC current in your house, then phones, TV, radios, cell phones, computers, microwaves and so on. Every time you drive past power line or cell phone tower, you get a blast.
Short of wearing full blown grounded Faraday cage, you WILL be showered in all that.
Sorry.
Gizmo with "dial buttons" next to mirror? Is that Homelink?
I hear you...but I can't control the cell phone towers, or power lines...I can control the radiation in my home, and was hoping the RAV4. :)

Homelink is the Garage door opening gizmo, and then there is this cell signal RF generating safety connect. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts