Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's a trick that works very well. Boil some water in a kettle and pour it over the salt buildup. It will dissolve it immediately. Works on the carpet in the car too but you should get rid of the water with a wet/dry vacuum after. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The hot water trick works well, I do it all the time. You just have remove all the water after you desolve the salt. I also line the floor under the floor mats with a thick sheet of plastic. I use an old road salt bag.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am going to try your hot water trick because even if I used rubber winter mats, some salt has made its way to the car carpet with spots of hard salt crust

·
uh..no, it's not a hybrid
3,486 Posts
I would get a vacuum cleaner in there and rub the end of it on the stain and the majoity of it will flake off and get sucked up. Then you'll have to do the water trick. I used to clean up that stuff regularly until I thought of getting decent mats and talking to my passengers. :preach:

I picked up some second generation pantsaver car mats in the fall. The fit is not that bad considering its generic fit and the coverage is excellent. (Cost $40) I may be a bit of a fanatic, but everyone that rides in any of the cars I drive in the winter has to sit down with their feet still outside and has to hit them together at least once to get off the excess snow before putting their feet in, and I have never had a problem with stains or extra moisture in the car. I even turned it into a game and tell the passengers that there is a rule upon entry. They have to be like Dorothy off the Wizard of Oz and say there's no place like home before they put their feet in. Everyone smiles and does it with no issue. After all I am transporting them. :lol:

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
goto a DIY coin wash bay, clip them on the wall hooks, spray them with tire cleaner, let it set and blast it off with a pressure washing gun.

·
First time Corolla owner
2009 Corolla
573 Posts
Sorry guys, I've mistaken car built in mats with floor mats??,

The carpet ones that say corolla on them?
If this is the case you have two options, that i'm aware of. First off, you can go to Canadian tire and buy the stuff that cleans off sand and salt. We did this in my friends car and it was gone in a couple trys. Another option, if you local HAND car wash (do it yourself) has a carpet cleaner, you can also do it via this. By doing this, you wash the mats, and any other carpet you feel needs to be done seats included, and then simply vacume off the moisture from the shampoo. It was done on my friends cousin's car and it turned out just as well as the stuff from CT did!

I've yet to try either as a) I didn't buy the car till one of our last snow storms and b) bought the all season mats for winter use.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The carpet ones that say corolla on them?
If this is the case you have two options, that i'm aware of. First off, you can go to Canadian tire and buy the stuff that cleans off sand and salt. We did this in my friends car and it was gone in a couple trys. Another option, if you local HAND car wash (do it yourself) has a carpet cleaner, you can also do it via this. By doing this, you wash the mats, and any other carpet you feel needs to be done seats included, and then simply vacume off the moisture from the shampoo. It was done on my friends cousin's car and it turned out just as well as the stuff from CT did!

I've yet to try either as a) I didn't buy the car till one of our last snow storms and b) bought the all season mats for winter use.
Hope that helps!
I mean the floor, not mats!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
The rubber mats you get at Canadian Tire only last about 3 or 4 seasons, after that you may find that it has developed cracks to let water through.
I think that the dead pedals causes the mat to wear faster.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
if you are talking about the carpet lining on the car flooring and not the removal mats/carpets then you should shampoo them good and use a good vacuum intended to suck all the water that will sip deep into the carpet flooring. then dry them very well or else your whole car will start smelling funny and awful.

·
First time Corolla owner
2009 Corolla
573 Posts
I mean the floor, not mats!!

You can follow either of the proceedures I mentioned on the floor, and like i said seats etc, too. It was my friends floor, near where our gas/trunk release is that had the salt build up and it looked amazing after. Do make sure it's dry though, like it's been said, you don't want your car smelling!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts