Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC, 4x4
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

For those of you who have XM or Sirius and have mounted your antenna's (mine is magnetic), how did you do it?

I'm looking to put my antenna (if you're staring at the front of your truck) just below the right front of the windshield. There is a flat spot there which sits right next to where your hood and your quarter-panel meet.

I see all of the installation manuals use the third brake light as a template, but has anyone had problems receiving a signal with the antenna not mounted on the top of the roof?

In case anyone wants to know, I'm going to run the antenna through the wire grommet on the lower left side under the hood.

Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I ran my XM antenna under the pass seat, up the center pillar, out the back door seal, and up to the roof on the pass side.
It works fine. No reception loss.
Just see about 12" of wire out above the door.
No big deal on a dark truck, and very easy to do.
Just pull the wire tight on the roof and it looks fine.
later

·
Go Bills!
Tacoma, 4DR, 2WD
291 Posts
Sirius radio antenna reception

I originally installed mine outside on the passenger side (ran the cable under the rubber stripping and then down underneath the front windshield rubber, around the door jam, under the dash to the receiver), but I've come to my senses.

I decided that the antenna would work just fine on the dash, inside of the car -- I moved it.

I used a small piece of double sticky padded tape on the magnet side and installed the antenna, stuck to my dash as far up in the corner of the drivers side (left corner) as I could get it without pinching it between the glass and the plastic dashboard. I did not want to hear the rattle or vibration of the antenna against the glass. The antenna stays firm -- no movement yet.

I then used a small tooth-pick type piece of wood and shoved the antenna cable down between the dash and the side panel, down and around under the dash. I gathered the excess cable up and shoved it down inside of the side panel next to the emergency brake. The reception is great, and I don't have to worry about the ugly antenna stuck to my shiny roof. Try it -- you'll see -- the reception works just fine through the front windshield. I just drove all the way back to South Dakota, from California and listened to Sirius radio the entire trip.

In case you want to know where I mounted the radio (a very small Starmate version) -- I used a sturdy belt clip off of a cell phone, super glued the other round piece/adapter to the back of the radio and have this hung on the front vent just between my radio and instrument cluster. It stays put, does not rattle, and is out of sight but easy to get to to change stations, listen to with headphones, etc. It's also very close to the radio so the RF transmitter to radio signal is strong and very clear. I'm lucky to have found an open station that I can use full-time here in Southern California. My power and antenna cables are interwound and run right down the crack near the left side of the AC controls, and I routed the antenna cable through the little storage area just under the ignition keys. I use the DC outlet that is directly under the radio (left) for power.

Sure, I don't have much use of the vent, but I have not noticed much.

Good luck -- Satellite radio is great!

·
Tacoholic
343 Posts
Howard Stern ON Monday!

I have had Sirius over a year now and can't live without it. However, I haven't installed it in my new Tacoma yet since I left my old car kit in my old truck.

Also, I am afraid that there is no good way to install the radio without causing some damage to the truck and I don't want to do that until I am 100% sure of the install.

I guess I could do it without doing a screwed into the dash mount, but my other problem is that I have the Sportster Radio and I use the Boombox. The problem with the Sportster is that it is kind of big and there isn't any unused area in the dash of the Tacoma.

Also, I really like my Boombox, but I don't want to pay for having 2 recievers every month.

@@@@@@@ I can't wait much longer.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC, 4x4
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

All right, so I drank some beers tonight so let's see how coherent this is...my truck is sitting in the garage with the radio and a/c panel off. By the way, with a dash removal tool it came off, piece of cake. I have the USA Spec piece plugged into the back of the radio (stock/standard, non JBL, no cd disc changer) I bought two Y adapters (one red and one white rca plug connected to one headphone jack) which will plug into my XM and my MP3 player (iRiver). So far I've tested the XM and it comes through crystal clear, the built-in FM modulator worked ok but now I have peace of mind. My VSM, vehicle specific mount is bolted in so now all I'm waiting for is the 12v hardwire adapter for the cigarette lighter. Slick little piece this is....it has wire taps to tie into the lighter and converts the 12v to 6v required for the XM. Only thing left to do is run the antenna wire in from the wire grommet located in the hood, left side, near the passengers feet.

Still debating on how I'm going to mount the USA Spec piece, not sure if I want it out or somewhere inside the dash near the glove box. But, so far so good.

If anyone wants pics, let me know. I'll take them tomorrow (actually this morning) when I'm more sober. And if I didn't spell anything wrong, holy shit, it's a good night!

Later!

·
Tacoholic
343 Posts
msuaftaco said:
Hey All,

For those of you who have XM or Sirius and have mounted your antenna's (mine is magnetic), how did you do it?

I'm looking to put my antenna (if you're staring at the front of your truck) just below the right front of the windshield. There is a flat spot there which sits right next to where your hood and your quarter-panel meet.

I see all of the installation manuals use the third brake light as a template, but has anyone had problems receiving a signal with the antenna not mounted on the top of the roof?

In case anyone wants to know, I'm going to run the antenna through the wire grommet on the lower left side under the hood.

Thanks.
After gettting the idea to do this from your post I did this exact thing today when installing my new Sirius radio. This is a perfect place to put the antenna. It worked out very well. Thanks for the idea.

I'll post pictures in a new thread soon.

By the way I got my radio from Costco. It's the XACT Sirius Replay kit. It's the perfect radio for this truck. I mounted the radio with velcro on the flat spot below the AC controls.

It looks like it's stock almost.

Thanks again for the idea about the antenna mount, and the reception is perfect.

·
Toyota Parts Manager
138 Posts
currentsupply said:
After gettting the idea to do this from your post I did this exact thing today when installing my new Sirius radio. This is a perfect place to put the antenna. It worked out very well. Thanks for the idea.

I'll post pictures in a new thread soon.

By the way I got my radio from Costco. It's the XACT Sirius Replay kit. It's the perfect radio for this truck. I mounted the radio with velcro on the flat spot below the AC controls.

It looks like it's stock almost.

Thanks again for the idea about the antenna mount, and the reception is perfect.
I got the same kit and mounted it in the exact same place, just below the AC controls in the "forward-most" storage compartment. I haven't permanantly ran the antenna wire yet though. I have my antenna pod on my roof about 3 inches up from the windshield right in the middle (basically right above the rearview mirror, but on the roof). I ran the wire under the windshield rubber weatherstrip and down the side. It just slips right under the weatherstrip very easily and leaves no inclination of a wire. At the bottom of the windshield, I wrapped it under the fender lip where it meets the A-pillar and then down the inside of the door jam on the A-pillar. Then under the dash. Popped the coin box under the right side of the steering wheel off and ran the wire right to the SAT unit.

I'l permananly run the wire one of these days when I get some spare time by going through a firewall hole plug and up to the cowl then to the A-pillar.

One of these days.

I also need to finish the NAV unit install. Extra time is just so rare for me these days. One day though. One day soon. I'll post pics too.

·
Tacoholic
343 Posts
cdaniel76 said:
I got the same kit and mounted it in the exact same place, just below the AC controls in the "forward-most" storage compartment. I haven't permanantly ran the antenna wire yet though. I have my antenna pod on my roof about 3 inches up from the windshield right in the middle (basically right above the rearview mirror, but on the roof). I ran the wire under the windshield rubber weatherstrip and down the side. It just slips right under the weatherstrip very easily and leaves no inclination of a wire. At the bottom of the windshield, I wrapped it under the fender lip where it meets the A-pillar and then down the inside of the door jam on the A-pillar. Then under the dash. Popped the coin box under the right side of the steering wheel off and ran the wire right to the SAT unit.

I'l permananly run the wire one of these days when I get some spare time by going through a firewall hole plug and up to the cowl then to the A-pillar.

One of these days.

I also need to finish the NAV unit install. Extra time is just so rare for me these days. One day though. One day soon. I'll post pics too.
It's a nice radio don'tcha think? But, I didn't mount it in the forward most storage compartment, I velcroed it to the flat space above it, and below the AC controls.

I used the storage compartment infront of the shifter for a lot of other stuff like to stick my cell phone when it is charging or for spare change, pencils, etc...

·
PSU TACO
05 Access Cab TACO
116 Posts
same Here

rifle said:
I am thinking about putting the Sportster in the cubby at the very forward end of the center console.
I have the sportster also and put it in the same place.If you are referring to under the AC control's) I ran the antenna wire from the roof thru the third bake light in the head liner thru the molding on the 3rd door down the weather stripping for the drivers door down to the carpet and under the carpet (under brake and gas petal) up the side of the consol and into the cubby You cannot see the wire anywhere. :clap:

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC, 4x4
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
final result

So I ended up mounting (not really, it's just sittiing) the satellite inside the windshield where the dash and windshield meet. I ran the wire down the side and under the steering wheel. I drilled a hole in the glove box and ran the USA Spec Aux and RCA wires back to the radio and out the side of the radio to where my XM receiver is mounted. You can tell that the wires protruding from the radio face has caused the unit to not sit flush, but that's only b/c I did the work. People that have seen the final product cannot tell that it doesn't sit flush (we're talking a few millimeters).

So far the antenna has maintained a solid signal and when it fails to work, I will mount it properly. I have a hardwire kit coming tomorrow to hardwire the XM power to the cigarette lighter. If anyone knows which wires I have to tap into, please let me know!

I'll take pics when I'm not so lazy, probably tonight.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Don't make your truck look like crap. Just mount it with a strong double-sided tape pad to the furthermost part of your interior dashboard. It works just as well as putting it outside, if a piece of glass can stop a satellite signal then thier is a a problem with sat not your car. I have done this on 3 of my cars with NO problems and perfect reception.

·
Registered
156 Posts
currentsupply said:
Howard Stern ON Monday!

I have had Sirius over a year now and can't live without it. However, I haven't installed it in my new Tacoma yet since I left my old car kit in my old truck.

Also, I am afraid that there is no good way to install the radio without causing some damage to the truck and I don't want to do that until I am 100% sure of the install.

I guess I could do it without doing a screwed into the dash mount, but my other problem is that I have the Sportster Radio and I use the Boombox. The problem with the Sportster is that it is kind of big and there isn't any unused area in the dash of the Tacoma.

Also, I really like my Boombox, but I don't want to pay for having 2 recievers every month.

@@@@@@@ I can't wait much longer.
I mounted my Sportster with the suction cup mount on the windshield just above the far left dashboard. It works well there and doesn't obscure my view. I have the same mounting area on my H2.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's the same spot I put my antenna. I went through the firewall at the gromet along the passenger side of the engine compartment. Took a little work fishing the wire through but it all looks great. I was planning on putting in the top of the cab and down through the center brake light but that would have entailed running the wire through and under too many things to be convenient.

·
1st time Toyota Owner
141 Posts
NASAMarine said:
Don't make your truck look like crap. Just mount it with a strong double-sided tape pad to the furthermost part of your interior dashboard. It works just as well as putting it outside, if a piece of glass can stop a satellite signal then thier is a a problem with sat not your car. I have done this on 3 of my cars with NO problems and perfect reception.
I second NASA's comment. I had mine in the back window of my Maxima and NEVER had a problem getting a signal. When the time comes to install it in the Taco, I'll be doing it from the inside. May not do it like NASA did (double-sided tape to the interior dash), but it will be inside the cab.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts