Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty bored atm and have been looking at putting a JDM Toyota SC14 Supercharger on my 2001 Toyota Camry CSi Wagon. Ridiculous I know but why not try it aye? Just looking for some advice on how much engine bay modification may be needed and weather it would be a worth while process in doing.
Cheers, Nathan.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Never heard of this supercharger. More info?

·
Registered
Toyota Scepter
526 Posts
^It's supposed to be the S/C that goes to the Previa and the old 1G-GZE.

It's doable. Some people from Toyspeed have already tried putting one on different cars and didn't have any problems. According to some members, it would be best to just turbocharge the 5S-FE. I'm kind of intrigued, though, with putting an SC14 on a 5S-FE and have around 8 psi of boost. It's a good idea. I might have to contact the member who fabricates conversion kits for many cars.

·
Registered
Toyota Scepter
526 Posts
The SC14 is around 300 NZD here. Add another 500 NZD for the custom conversion kit and a few hundred bucks for the engine management. I believe the hidden costs are going to do a lot of ouch.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
$500 bucks for a turbo kit isn't going to be reliable.

SC14=Previa s/c. Got it. Hmmm. I mean, like everything else in the car world.... it's doable.... IF you have the money. I'd compare what estimated performance gains you'll get with a SC14 over a turbo priced competitively.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
for some of the new guys on here:

There have been many boosted camry 5sfe s on here and no matter what kind of tuning or how much money was put into the car the engine failed one way or another. ie: head gasket, rod bearing, overheating, knocking, etc etc etc....

it's worth a shot...if you have a spare motor

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
^ plus the fact that you're only going to put down about 20whp more than a stock V6 camry.

·
Registered
Toyota Scepter
526 Posts

There have been many boosted camry 5sfe s on here and no matter what kind of tuning or how much money was put into the car the engine failed one way or another. ie: head gasket, rod bearing, overheating, knocking, etc etc etc....

^ plus the fact that you're only going to put down about 20whp more than a stock V6 camry.
^You guys are right. For me it's better to put in a different engine instead of exhausting an engine designed for fuel economy. If I am into turbos I would just swap in a 3rd Gen 3S-GTE.

In terms of getting more power to the ground, too much engine upgrade isn't really worth it, especially for our FWDs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Awesome info guys, ive been doing some research and I think ill end up doing a 3rd Gen 3S-GTE engine swap before I bother about the superchargers/turbo's, the engine has failed on to many occasions, not worth investing in.
Only a few more months till im out of school and can properly work on my car, cant wait, will have the fastest Camry wagon in Australia :p

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
but the real question - Would it be feasible on a 3VZ? (maybe fit two in parallel?) :naughty:

·
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd
Toyota Corolla
2,017 Posts
i think no one got the "bigger" picture IMO. the SC12/14 superchargers have clutches. on for power. off for fuel economy. that is the best part of these setups and why the OP should go forward with getting and setting up the S/C
@ gothmog3vz: feasible on any car that doesnt have a serp belt. i wouldnt do two. just a smaller pulley on one.

·
Registered
Toyota Scepter
526 Posts
i think no one got the "bigger" picture IMO. the SC12/14 superchargers have clutches. on for power. off for fuel economy. that is the best part of these setups and why the OP should go forward with getting and setting up the S/C
@ gothmog3vz: feasible on any car that doesnt have a serp belt. i wouldnt do two. just a smaller pulley on one.
^True. When we had our AW11 S/C, there was an "S/C" light that turns on whenever the S/C clutch is engaged. If the setup can have a manual toggle for the clutch, that would be great for FE.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
That would be REALLY interesting. Of course, that brings up the question of whether or not a clutch could be installed on any other supercharger for these engines. (Cost effective at least.)

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts

After reading what i wrote and this being a year later I still agree but I have learned how to make this happen.............and I'm doing it :D

test subjects are:
1. 1992 Camry DX 5sfe 5spd
2. 1991 MR2 5sfe 5spd
3. 1993 Celica 5sfe 5spd

all will be fitted with a Toyota SC supercharger and all will be low boost & constant (unclutched)

To the OP: try it but when you add an Intercooler the psi will drop so you can make your car safer. I just finished using an sc12 on a 1zz 2008 corolla mpg went up on normal driving.

·
Registered
1993 Camry Wagon
445 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this on the wagon. I can buy the supercharger dirt cheap from a buddy. I also wanted to get rid of the clutch and run an intercooler. What fuel mods would be necessary, if any? This would be a tweener setup until I swap in a 3SGTE.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts