1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tragically Hip
342 Posts
I like it...Good work on this application.:thumbup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Where did you get the gray plastic from? Is it thick enough to not flex when the buttons are pressed? Details, details!!!

kev

·
Registered
07 TACOMA TRD SPORT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
found a grey piece of plastic laying around house and it is 1/8" thick and does not flex when i push on buttons. I like that it makes it almost look factory.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
You can also buy plastic paint that is color matched to the interior. I'll try to find the exact paint to use, but I've seen plenty of custom installs with painted parts.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
Pb said:
Looks good. Is that ABS plastic? What did you use to cut it? Razor blade, Dremmel, hot knife?

FYI, I get my ABS plastic sheets from here. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-940 They have 3 different thicknesses available.
Thanks.

I am gonna do something like that for my aux lights overhaul and put the 4x4mods rocker switches there that i am mounting on my rack. :)

good job KPSK

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

·
Registered
07 TACOMA TRD SPORT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ABS plastic was 1/8" thick and i just used a jigsaw to cut out. Glad everyone liked

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Fluxaholic said:
Pb, in your experience, what thickness is easiest for cutting with a dremel? Also, any prep work needed for painting?
It depends how big of an area you are trying to span. The thicker, the sturdier. To do most of the cutting I usually use a disc that is made to cut plastic. I like the new E-Z lock discs. There are discs for cutting plastic, and discs for metal. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-detail.htm?H=189191&G=69875&I=69880

Then I'll clean up the edges with a sanding band on the Dremmel, and then a peice of fine sandpaper by hand. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-group.htm?H=188569&G=66408

I'll use a hand file to finish up sharp corners.

I haven't painted a lot of ABS. I would just wipe with alcohol and then paint.

·
Registered
07 TACOMA TRD SPORT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry bro but what i had just worked out for me. Glad i measured very carefully to do. I saw some on ebay but not too sure if they had grey.

·
Registered
07 TACOMA TRD SPORT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I like PB's also, but wanted to keep my compass and all. I am glad you all like and was happy to share something from a group of good peeps that have helped me out also.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
also, KPSK can you give me the dimensions of the peice and what paint you used on there. please. thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got threw doing the mod , went real easy . For the piece of plastic I went to the local sign maker and got a 12" by 12" light gray plastic panel for $2.00 , cheapest place that I founded . Going to paint it to match interior .:clap:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts