Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 Corolla LE in Canada (Quebec more precisely). I am flabbergasted to see the large differences between some recommended maintenance schedules in Canada vs the US. For example, USA recommends oil changes every 10,000 miles (16,000km). Well Toyota Canada recommends oil changes every 5000 miles (8000km). What the hell? why twice as often up here? Even the dealership, that tends to push for more service than the manufacturer, told me when I bought the car to do oil changes every 10,000km (6000 miles). Who's right/wrong here?!

Another example:

US = no mention of brake fluid change
Canada = every 3 years or 48,000km (30,000km)

I understand that we have harsher climate up here but parts of the US get winters as bad as we do here... any ideas or actual knowledge on this anyone? thanks!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
First of all, maintenance schedules are set by the individual marketing territories, and not by engineers at the factory (despite what many think). The marketing departments in each territory also pay for and therefore determine the warranty coverage details.

Reason why this is the case include:
  • Each Marketing territory is responsible for their own warranty expense.
  • Warranties are regulated by governments to some degree.
  • Competition differs in each market with regard to maintenance schedules and warranty.
  • Different climates in each territory.
That being said, in looking at the maintenance schedule in Canada for a 2015 Corolla, here is what I found:
  • 1st oil change at 8,000 km (4,800 miles) or at 6 months
  • 2nd oil change at 16,000 km (9,600 miles) or at 12 months
  • 3rd oil change at 24,000 km (14,400 miles) or at 18 months
  • 4th oil change at 40,000 km (24,000 miles) or at 30 months
  • For all additional oil changes, the interval stays 16,000 km (10,000 miles) or 12 months additional (same as US)
So they are adding some oil changes up front, but after that go to same interval as in the US (16,000 km or 10,000 miles).

I don't see requirement for automatic transmission fluid change for this vehicle in Canada, unless towing or using rooftop carrier. Manual transmission fluid change is different.

Here is where I got my information:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
It will never hurt to do oil changes more often other than the cost. I've always changed my oil at 1k-1500 miles, 5k miles and every 5k miles after that on a new engine or every 12 months with synthetic oil. Cars that get driven a lot like my wife's 10 Prius I change every 7500 miles.

It's a good idea to change and flush your brake fluid every 3-5 years. I change the gear oil, CVT fluid, and AT fluid every 30k-35k miles.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
So they are adding some oil changes up front, but after that go to same interval as in the US (16,000 km or 10,000 miles).
No, it's every 8K (or 6 months), as they alternate between "oil service", which, obviously, includes oil and "maintenance service" which is a more complete inspection but also includes an oil change.
I understand that we have harsher climate up here but parts of the US get winters as bad as we do here... any ideas or actual knowledge on this anyone?
I have no other idea beside our harsh climate (but what about some parts of the USA ?) or bring you to the dealer more often. The weird thing is that the difference is not there anymore with the 12th gen. I guess that when the Corolla was build in Canada, local engineers/direction had a different view than their American counterpart on the car. Now the NA Corolla is a pure US product. 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, personally I'm more at ease with the 11th gen Canadian schedule.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
No, it's every 8K (or 6 months), as they alternate between "oil service", which, obviously, includes oil and "maintenance service" which is a more complete inspection but also includes an oil change.
Not sure what you are referring to. After the Canadian 2015 Corolla hits 24,000 km, all future oil changes are due at intervals of 16,000 km (or 10,000 miles). This is per the documentation I provided above (with link to Toyota document).

·
Registered
33 Posts

Both of these services include Oil and filter change, with the "Maintenance Service" being a more in depth service. That means the oil and filter change is every 8,000 km after 24,000 km.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Not sure what you are referring to. After the Canadian 2015 Corolla hits 24,000 km, all future oil changes are due at intervals of 16,000 km (or 10,000 miles). This is per the documentation I provided above (with link to Toyota document).
The documentation doesn't say "future oil changes are due..." but "oil & filter service" is due... But in-between those you have the "maintenance service", which also means oil change (so every 8K km total).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 282990

Both of these services include Oil and filter change, with the "Maintenance Service" being a more in depth service. That means the oil and filter change is every 8,000 km after 24,000 km.
It is surprising how many fellow Canadian Corolla owners I talked with interpret this chart in the guide incorrectly, not realizing that Maintenance service also includes an oil change... just another proof ofhow people don't bother reading manuals! ;-)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have no other idea beside our harsh climate (but what about some parts of the USA ?) or bring you to the dealer more often. The weird thing is that the difference is not there anymore with the 12th gen. I guess that when the Corolla was build in Canada, local engineers/direction had a different view than their American counterpart on the car. Now the NA Corolla is a pure US product. 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, personally I'm more at ease with the 11th gen Canadian schedule.
I checked online about the 12th gen and you are correct. I thought this might just be for the 2l engine but I looked at the schedule for the L model (which still has the 1.8l) and yep, oil change every 16,000km (10,000m)!! Well if Mark888 is right about maintenance being purely driven by marketing, I guess we just found another proof that Canadians are again taken for a ride compared to their neighbors south of the border. How else to explain that starting in 2020, the same 1.8l only requires oil changes at 16,000km vs 8000km...

That being said, I don't feel comfortable stretching the schedule to 16k either. I only drive 10k a year so that would mean 1 oil change per 18 months going trough harsh winters, hot and humid summers and everything in between.

The Toyota Canada website creates a custom schedule based on your monthly mileage. What's interesting (and even MORE confusing) is that mileage always supersedes time. For instance, according to their calculation, oil change must be done every 10 months/8000km in my particular situation at 865km/month. When inputting their default value of 1333km/month, oil change is every 6 months/8000km.

But the printed manual as shown above by fellow members clearly states every 6 months/8000km whichever comes first! If marketing rules maintenance over engineering (which I understand, but find ridiculous), they should get their game on and be more consistent and organised. Just the fact that I have to do research online and post here to figure out a thing as simple as oil change schedule speaks volumes to that effect as far as I am concerned. The dealership added to the confusion when telling me oil change is required only once per year/10000km.

Sorry for the rant!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It is surprising how many fellow Canadian Corolla owners I talked with interpret this chart in the guide incorrectly, not realizing that Maintenance service also includes an oil change... just another proof ofhow people don't bother reading manuals! ;-)
Check with dealer or call Toyota Canada.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Maintenance service does not includes an oil change unless designated on the top line of that chart. The two members who claim that are wrong.
Look at Jolly's post below. Literally from the next page after the chart. You are simply wrong.

The documentation doesn't say "future oil changes are due..." but "oil & filter service" is due... But in-between those you have the "maintenance service", which also means oil change (so every 8K km total).

View attachment 282992
Both the "Oil & Filter Service" and "Maintenance Service" include replacing the engine oil & filter.

But what do we care. It's your car. Change your oil as (in)frequently as you like!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
View attachment 282990

Look inside the first box where it says:

Oil & Filter Service
8,000 km / 6 months, then every 16,000 km / 12 months

That looks to me like it means they start out with 8,000 km / 6 months, then switch to 16,000 km / 12 months once the 24,000 km level has been reached. What that means is they are adding one extra oil change at 16,000 km (or 12 months).

·
Registered
33 Posts
You're completely missing the point. That "extra oil change at 16,000 km" takes the place of the maintenance service at that interval, because there isn't a point in doing the full "maintenance service" inspections within the first year of the car's life.

After 16,000, every second oil change should also include a more in depth inspection (i.e. the maintenance service - which includes an oil change, as listed on page 26 in the maintenance document you posted in your first reply).

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You're completely missing the point. That "extra oil change at 16,000 km" takes the place of the maintenance service at that interval, because there isn't a point in doing the full "maintenance service" inspections within the first year of the car's life.

After 16,000, every second oil change should also include a more in depth inspection (i.e. the maintenance service - which includes an oil change, as listed on page 26 in the maintenance document you posted in your first reply).
OK, I see the point you are making, but not 100% sure what they mean. The owner should contact Toyota Canada.

If you are right, then the people who put together that confusing chart should be fired.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've fallen victim to the "16,000 km" interval in the past, as I did not read the entire manual. Luckily I only went 13,000 as I was making a ~2000 road trip and wanted fresh oil for the trip. I agree the chart is very confusing!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
not 100% sure what they mean. The owner should contact Toyota Canada.
If you are right, then the people who put together that confusing chart should be fired.
There’s no need to phone the dealer or fire anybody :) . Your confusion comes from the name of the item (“oil & filter service”) which you rightfully assume involves oil change but wrongfully assumed that no other “whatever-the-name service” item could also involve an oil change.

It’s no big deal for anyone following the schedule either at the dealer or by themselves, assuming they would read what the item named “maintenance service” means. But then again, as america94 mentioned, not everybody does.

So, trying to be simple and clear, what the canadian 11th gen maintenance guide says is:
08K – Oil only
16K – Oil only
24K – Oil only
32K – Oil and some stuff
40K – Oil only
48K – Oil and some stuff
56K – Oil only
64K – Oil and some stuff
… and so on

Another point would be that whatever it says, one should always adapt it to its own driving habits anyway. A lot of highway make the oil last longer, a lot of shorter trips (or worst: only short trips and sitting periods) will shorten oil life. Hence a calendar in mileage OR months.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It’s no big deal for anyone following the schedule either at the dealer or by themselves, assuming they would read what the item named “maintenance service” means. But then again, as america94 mentioned, not everybody does.
The chart is misleading and poorly designed. There is no reason why they couldn't put all the oil and filter changes in the row labeled "Oil & Filter Service."

If someone is looking for when to change the oil, they shouldn't have to read the whole chart to see if they have hidden oil changes in some other category.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same thing with my Camry in Canada, except it changed by year. My 2015 has the short oil change interval, 8000km. But then the 2016 and 2017 (which are the exact same car) have totally different maintenance schedule with longer oil change interval (I think the 16,000km).

In 2015 they alternated from “maintenance” (oil and filter + check stuff) and oil service (just oil change) every 8000km. In 2016+ they changed it to “service 1”, “service 2”, and “service 3”. They still want you to bring it in every 8000km but only change the oil every 16000km (service 2 and 3). Service 1 is just a “check stuff” appointment where they don’t change fluid (probably an unnecessary service IMO). They literally just reset the maintenance light and check your wipers, floor mats, oil level, etc.

Same engine, transmission, and oil, so makes no sense. There was no body style change, the 2015-2017 are all basically identical.

It is annoying because I drive a lot so this means I’m at the dealer like every second or third month. Also they use synthetic oil so 8000km seems pretty short. But the car has extended warranty so I don’t want to mess with the maintenance and just follow the manual.

Another funny thing, my manual has nothing listed for transmission fluid change in the maintenance schedule. Then around 100,000km the dealer told me I was “past due” for the change. Now, I wanted it changed anyway since to me leaving it forever is a bad idea, but if the manual has no interval, how was I past due?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
Same thing with my Camry in Canada, except it changed by year. My 2015 has the short oil change interval, 8000km. But then the 2016 and 2017 (which are the exact same car) have totally different maintenance schedule with longer oil change interval (I think the 16,000km).

In 2015 they alternated from “maintenance” (oil and filter + check stuff) and oil service (just oil change) every 8000km. In 2016+ they changed it to “service 1”, “service 2”, and “service 3”. They still want you to bring it in every 8000km but only change the oil every 16000km (service 2 and 3). Service 1 is just a “check stuff” appointment where they don’t change fluid (probably an unnecessary service IMO). They literally just reset the maintenance light and check your wipers, floor mats, oil level, etc.

Same engine, transmission, and oil, so makes no sense. There was no body style change, the 2015-2017 are all basically identical.

It is annoying because I drive a lot so this means I’m at the dealer like every second or third month. Also they use synthetic oil so 8000km seems pretty short. But the car has extended warranty so I don’t want to mess with the maintenance and just follow the manual.

Another funny thing, my manual has nothing listed for transmission fluid change in the maintenance schedule. Then around 100,000km the dealer told me I was “past due” for the change. Now, I wanted it changed anyway since to me leaving it forever is a bad idea, but if the manual has no interval, how was I past due?
They also rotate the tires on every maintenance done even if the oil isn't changed. On the transmission fluid, I always change mine every 30-35k miles no matter the transmission type.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts