Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scion Canada just updated their website with models, pricing, etc.
Looks like Scion is ramping up for their big launch in Canada this month!

tC looks better and better each time I see it. Now I'm wondering if I should have rented a car for 1-2 months to wait for the tC.

Can't wait for iQ to hit our shores! Hopefully it will put that ugly Smart car out of it's misery.

http://www.scionnation.ca/

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
I know Canada is a way smaller market but hopefully they do well up there. Then again Scion shouldn't be a volume car brand in principle.

I do like the iQ as well. But my only gripe is no manual option:thumbsdow:facepalm:

I know its no sports car but still. I love small cars and micro cars. I did like the Smart when it first came out, until I found out no manual and the mileage sucks for what it is. Its still a cool concept IMO. Just not as executed as well as it could be.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,781 Posts
The new tC looks better every time I see it. A very good looking car IMO. Now if Toyota would only make an optional turbo 2.0L engine that put out 250hp, that would be awesome. :naughty:

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
The new tC looks better every time I see it. A very good looking car IMO. Now if Toyota would only make an optional turbo 2.0L engine that put out 250hp, that would be awesome. :naughty:

Good luck with that one! Maybe a dealer add on. If you want that get a Hyundai Genesis Coupe

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
All ye of little faith. Consider this.

Look at all the new vehicles with turbo's these days. Clearly turbo's are the near-term answer to meeting new government fuel consumption rules that IMHO penalize small cars...so expect more turbo's from everyone when their models renew over the next 3 years. It's these stupid government rules that are killing manual transmission cars and forcing everyone into CVT's to manimize power output. If they were REALLY serious about fuel economy, they'd outright ban SUV's and trucks - or put massive tax implications on them. Seeing 1 person as a daily driver in an SUV or pickup truck is dumb.

And if history was any indicator, I might expect to see some special/limited edition run tC's decked out to the max...perhaps with turbo. :)

Now interesting...I used the new Scion configurator to compare the tC vs Corolla XRS. Very interesting differences on engine power, suspension, etc. The tC appears to be a better deal IMHO.

·
Banned
0 Posts
All ye of little faith. Consider this.

Look at all the new vehicles with turbo's these days. Clearly turbo's are the near-term answer to meeting new government fuel consumption rules that IMHO penalize small cars...so expect more turbo's from everyone when their models renew over the next 3 years. It's these stupid government rules that are killing manual transmission cars and forcing everyone into CVT's to manimize power output. If they were REALLY serious about fuel economy, they'd outright ban SUV's and trucks - or put massive tax implications on them. Seeing 1 person as a daily driver in an SUV or pickup truck is dumb.

And if history was any indicator, I might expect to see some special/limited edition run tC's decked out to the max...perhaps with turbo. :)

Now interesting...I used the new Scion configurator to compare the tC vs Corolla XRS. Very interesting differences on engine power, suspension, etc. The tC appears to be a better deal IMHO.

My truck is my DD and I bet I use less fuel than you do. My commute is only 6 miles each way. I have run the numbers and it simply does not make financial sense for me to have a commuter car and I NEED a truck for towing duties.

This is America, land of the FREE, banning trucks or taxing them would kill much of the recreation industry (boating, snowmobiling, etc). And what about businesses, particularly small businesses, that need trucks to operate their business?

It'll never happen, but to even suggest it is idiotic IMO.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It's these stupid government rules that are killing manual transmission cars and forcing everyone into CVT's to manimize power output.
Most Americans just don't drive manual cars. It's that simple.

·
straight cash homie
21,307 Posts
That's funny...the tC isn't even a choice to build, what configurator are you looking at? Anyway, the only thing better about the tC than the XRS is the engine IMO.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
It's these stupid government rules that are killing manual transmission cars and forcing everyone into CVT's to manimize power output. If they were REALLY serious about fuel economy, they'd outright ban SUV's and trucks - or put massive tax implications on them. Seeing 1 person as a daily driver in an SUV or pickup truck is dumb.
Nah, its certainly not the government rules that have killed manual transmissions. Cheaper fuel is why the automatic's original fuel efficiency issues never really were a problem in North America(not sure about Mexico). Its also a partial reason diesel didn't go as well as it probably should. Having expensive fuel would also mean that big heavy cars would not be as viable as they are here. It might mean more wagon versions of cars instead of crossovers.

The reason why the manual is dying is the majority of drivers are just not interested, a lot see driving as a necessary evil. Doing more work for something you hate is really the reason they spent that thousand dollars for the automatic. You can easily give these people the best cars in the world, Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and they'd still probably drive a Daewoo and think that's just as good. The only people who now drive manuals are in two camps, the very very cheap people who don't want to spend extra money on an automatic which won't let them hypermile easily and the driving enthusiast who want full control of their car's gears. Its really down to sports cars, economy cars and small trucks that have readily available manual options. Everything else is slowly becoming automatic or semi-automatic.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
My truck is my DD and I bet I use less fuel than you do. My commute is only 6 miles each way. I have run the numbers and it simply does not make financial sense for me to have a commuter car and I NEED a truck for towing duties.

This is America, land of the FREE, banning trucks or taxing them would kill much of the recreation industry (boating, snowmobiling, etc). And what about businesses, particularly small businesses, that need trucks to operate their business?

It'll never happen, but to even suggest it is idiotic IMO.
Short trips kill mileage, regardless of car. I know you have a truck anyway but it doesn't get the car warmed up enough, especially during the MN winters its a killer.

Most Americans just don't drive manual cars. It's that simple.
Its a sad thing too. Most don't care too, which we are all free to do what we want. Of course the marketing of "manual matics" or what not has people sold they are better than a traditional manual. Maybe in shifting times but there's no connection or engagement. Americans want the easiest way out, the fastest. Most don't care about driving of course most drive in the cities.

Manuals are becoming very niche.' People see it and they are like nope! I wish I had a manual. Someday. :rolleyes:

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
You have to take the fact that not everybody live in a metropolitan area and have to drive through deep snow in winter.

·
Just Another Toyota Owner
125 Posts
Good luck with that one! Maybe a dealer add on. If you want that get a Hyundai Genesis Coupe

I agree, that Genesis Coupe looks great and really moves for what it is. Hyundai is getting better and better every day.

:thumbsup:

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
I agree, that Genesis Coupe looks great and really moves for what it is. Hyundai is getting better and better every day.

:thumbsup:

For sure!
I finally saw one up close in person this last summer. Looks better in person, more presence IMO.

Unfortunately from what I hear they aren't selling as well. You hear us and other people on other forums they want a car like this but it just doesn't sell. Americans love sports cars but they don't want to pay for them.

I know its a niche' car anyway but oh well.

·
straight cash homie
21,307 Posts
For sure!
I finally saw one up close in person this last summer. Looks better in person, more presence IMO.

Unfortunately from what I hear they aren't selling as well. You hear us and other people on other forums they want a car like this but it just doesn't sell. Americans love sports cars but they don't want to pay for them.

I know its a niche' car anyway but oh well.
Actually, what sells are American sports cars like Mustangs and Camaros...even Corvettes don't sell too shabby either. Challenger sells a fraction of those cars, but 3K for a niche car isn't too bad, especially in these times and for a company like Chrysler.

As good as the Gen Coupe is, Hyundai still has to overcome the "perception" aspect. It is succeeding with the regular cars like Tucson, Elantra and Sonata, but the premium Genesis still has ways to go; the upcoming Equus will be a big test for the company as well.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
Actually, what sells are American sports cars like Mustangs and Camaros...even Corvettes don't sell too shabby either. Challenger sells a fraction of those cars, but 3K for a niche car isn't too bad, especially in these times and for a company like Chrysler.

As good as the Gen Coupe is, Hyundai still has to overcome the "perception" aspect. It is succeeding with the regular cars like Tucson, Elantra and Sonata, but the premium Genesis still has ways to go; the upcoming Equus will be a big test for the company as well.

^^Yeah for sure. A lot of those cars you mentioned have a loyal following and have heritage as well. So they are more established. I think generally speaking foreign sports cars don't do as well in America. There are exceptions but for the most part not as loyal as the Americans. Face it the majority of owners that own a foreign made sports car or from a foreign car company are driven by "non-whites." Think about it. A lot of the import scene are asians and what not. Not that its bad just pointing out the demographics. You rarely see an Asian or non white in muscle car. I know they are out there who like American muscle or both.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Nah, its certainly not the government rules that have killed manual transmissions. Cheaper fuel is why the automatic's original fuel efficiency issues never really were a problem in North America(not sure about Mexico). Its also a partial reason diesel didn't go as well as it probably should. Having expensive fuel would also mean that big heavy cars would not be as viable as they are here. It might mean more wagon versions of cars instead of crossovers.

The reason why the manual is dying is the majority of drivers are just not interested, a lot see driving as a necessary evil. Doing more work for something you hate is really the reason they spent that thousand dollars for the automatic. You can easily give these people the best cars in the world, Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and they'd still probably drive a Daewoo and think that's just as good. The only people who now drive manuals are in two camps, the very very cheap people who don't want to spend extra money on an automatic which won't let them hypermile easily and the driving enthusiast who want full control of their car's gears. Its really down to sports cars, economy cars and small trucks that have readily available manual options. Everything else is slowly becoming automatic or semi-automatic.
Driving a stick as recreation, out on the open road, is a blast. Driving one in traffic while commuting sucks arse!

·
Just Another Toyota Owner
125 Posts
You are 100% correct about the perception thing, I have been guilty of that myself. Working on them you can see the quality slowly improving inside and out every year.

Worked on a 06 or 07 Sante Fe the other day and was very impressed with the interior build quality and how much room there was inside.

They are turning into a decent car company producing what people want and doing right for the most part.

·
straight cash homie
21,307 Posts
^^Yeah for sure. A lot of those cars you mentioned have a loyal following and have heritage as well. So they are more established. I think generally speaking foreign sports cars don't do as well in America. There are exceptions but for the most part not as loyal as the Americans. Face it the majority of owners that own a foreign made sports car or from a foreign car company are driven by "non-whites." Think about it.
I think there is a smaller group of owners into European cars, but they were mostly Caucasian, but more affluent obviously.

A lot of the import scene are asians and what not. Not that its bad just pointing out the demographics. You rarely see an Asian or non white in muscle car. I know they are out there who like American muscle or both.
I totally agree...the "import scene" started in my backyard :lol: (California)...We Asians made a scene out of our "own" cars, and many non-Asians embraced soon after, much to the chagrin of the hot rod crowd. The Hispanic demographic started a style of their own style as well even before Asians, which I'm sure everyone is familiar with (That song from War).

I do like some muscle cars, but I'll agree that the "muscle car" and its culture/lifestyle was much more akin to the suburban "American" culture of the 1960s, which was predominantly White during that time. For Asians, the immigrant life didn't include things like these.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts