Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
History

Scion is a US-only division of Toyota founded in 2003. It currently has three models: the xA and xB (both rebadged Japanese market cars, named ist and bB , respectively) and the tC (a new design based on the European-market Toyota Avensis). In Europe, the Scion xA is badged as the Yaris, and is one of Toyota's top-selling vehicles on that continent. Scion's long-term goal is to appeal to Generation Y consumers, expected to dwarf the market size of Generation X by 2020.

Scion uses sales tools such as Pure Price, innovative internet ads, and monospec trim levels with a wide selection of aftermarket accessories. Extensive market research and testing with Generation Y consumers formed the basis of the Scion badge.

Pure Price means the price posted, whether on the vehicle, in an advertisement, or on a menu display board in the dealership, is the price customers will pay. This includes vehicles, accessories, finance and insurance products. Pure price is designed to ensure a shorter and simpler process, eliminating all negotiation. The concept aims to be open and consistent. The concept is not new to the American market, having been introduced in the early '90s by the Saturn marque of General Motors.

Scion aims their internet advertising at the 10 to 15 percent of Generation Y who are on the cutting edge. These consumers have been exposed to tremendous amounts of advertising, and are jaded to traditional marketing hype. The Scion Promise of "Openness, Flexibility, and Personalization" appeals to these leaders. At the same time, older buyers also find the Scion to be an attractive purchase, because being an offshoot of Toyota assures Scion's value, quality, durability, and reliability (Scion means "Son of [Toyota]").

In the United States, the Toyota Camry offers several trim levels: the standard sedan (for budget-conscious drivers), the LE (popularly equipped), SE (for sporty drivers), and XLE (for luxury-minded drivers). In contrast, all Scions have one standard trim level and designed to be uniquely customized for the driver.

Scion offers about 40 different accessories; other after-market companies are adding new accessories, as well. For example, one can add a subwoofer, different types of decals, canvas roofs, and other accessories. The tC will offer an optional supercharger to increase its horsepower from 160 to approximately 200 hp.

Scion's first two cars, while unusual for American roads, have been received well among consumers tired of "vanilla" entry level vehicles. An episode of MTV's Pimp My Ride featured the Scion xB. The tC has been very well received and sells briskly.

Scion Production Vehicles

Scion xA
Scion xB
Scion tC

see also - Toyota History

·
How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
2,614 Posts
cool!! :clap:

you think they'll ever have a fourth or fifth model out?

·
Registered
482 Posts
bluefusion6851 said:
cool!! :clap:

you think they'll ever have a fourth or fifth model out?
nah, toyota said scion is slated to have 3 rotating models. meaning ,theyll get rid of one and replace it with something fresh. word is an suv is in the works. probably something rav sized. the question remains - what goes- xa, xb, or tc?

·
Registered
Scion xB
7 Posts
foompla said:
nah, toyota said scion is slated to have 3 rotating models. meaning ,theyll get rid of one and replace it with something fresh. word is an suv is in the works. probably something rav sized. the question remains - what goes- xa, xb, or tc?
I think, if you'll look at the new bB in Japan, you'll see what's next.

It's built off the tC platform from what I hear.

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
Hope someone can answer me on this one, i was speaking to a co worker today that thinks he knows it all. When i said that toyota makes scion he said NO. That scion is its own brand, that toyota is just sponsering them. I then told him isnt like lexus and toyota. He said NOPE can someone clear this up for me. I always thought toyota made scion.....:confused:

·
Taco Newbzr
X-Runner
119 Posts
scion is made by toyota, not sponsored your co-wrker is retarded. they are rebadged toyotas for the most part except for the tc. and the xa in europe is not called the yaris(that would be the echo) its called the iST

·
2,723 Posts
Think of Scion this way. Lexus is Toyota's luxury brand. Scion is at the other end of the Toyota Spectrum. They are all Toyota Products.

In Fact until recently Lexus didnt' exsist in Japan. Lexus models(as we know them in the US) were Toyota's in japan sold right next to every other toyota model in the showroom. An example would be the Toyota Crown sold in the US from 1968 to 1972. the car still exsists in Japan and we would know it as one of the lexus LS models.

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
Thats what i was telling my co worker. But he was like nope your wrong. Blah blah blha. I just kept saying man i know my toyotas hahaha. Lexus and Scion are all Toyotas. Nice pic. HAHAHA

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TrdTacoma84 said:
Hope someone can answer me on this one, i was speaking to a co worker today that thinks he knows it all. When i said that toyota makes scion he said NO. That scion is its own brand, that toyota is just sponsering them. I then told him isnt like lexus and toyota. He said NOPE can someone clear this up for me. I always thought toyota made scion.....:confused:
Read the first post...

"because being an offshoot of Toyota assures Scion's value, quality, durability, and reliability (Scion means "Son of [Toyota]")."

·
Registered
1 Posts
New and having a look.

Hi All, Just new not sure where to post. Having a look around. Nice too see all the good stuff. I'll be back for more soon. Regards, Aaron

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
Read the first post...

"because being an offshoot of Toyota assures Scion's value, quality, durability, and reliability (Scion means "Son of [Toyota]")."

Scion means "descent" or son of" but not Toyota in particular. It implies young, offspring.:thumbup:

·
2,723 Posts
^^^
Hense the reason for the "[ ]" around the word Toyota. :)

·
2,723 Posts
Both the B and D will be discontinued...There is no hint of replacements yet but as we all know, You have to put something out there......

I would like to see a decendant of the Hako coupe. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts