Toyota Nation Forum banner

Scion xB brakes on Echo

4119 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  l33ch
I'm planning on un-shitboxing my 2005 Echo I recently purchased. The front brakes are shot, and I figured if I need to buy pads and rotors, I may as well upgrade.
I've been looking around, and found a post from 2013 discussing Echo/xB/xA parts compatibility. Unfortunately, this is my first post and I can't post the link.
According to the OP, xAs and xBs have bigger caliper piston bore and 2mm thicker rotors compared to the Echo. Pads are the same.
My friend has a 2005 xB, and found a good deal on drilled & slotted rotors with ceramic pads. So assuming I buy xB rotors and calibers, they should bolt on without issue, right? I assume I'd have to get the xB calipers to account for the thicker rotors.
Any help is appreciated, thanks
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
582 Posts
I can't comment on upgrading the calipers on the fronts, but I have heard that you can replace the rear drums on the Echo with calipers/rotors from an MR2, so you would have all wheel disc brakes.so if you get sport upgraded discs for an mr2 4x100 it should bolt right up. Obviously research needed/googling, but I think you will find it will be possible once u can get confirmation. According to autozone, the front calipers are the same as the MR2 as well.

· Registered
2005 Toyota Echo Sedan 5MT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't comment on upgrading the calipers on the fronts, but I have heard that you can replace the rear drums on the Echo with calipers/rotors from an MR2, so you would have all wheel disc brakes.so if you get sport upgraded discs for an mr2 4x100 it should bolt right up. Obviously research needed/googling, but I think you will find it will be possible once u can get confirmation. According to autozone, the front calipers are the same as the MR2 as well.
Awesome, thanks! Definitely something to do in the future. Links would be appreciated, as I seem to be finding the occasional conversion kit but mainly shopping links. For now, I just need to get it in half-decent shape.
I skimped on the xB calipers and just got Echo rotors separate from the pads for the time being. Drilled and slotted Echo rotors, pads, ball joint, cabin air filter, s&h...
$171.
Holy shit, these parts are cheap. I love it. And the xB is very similar, so my friend already knows exactly what to do.

· Registered
582 Posts
Awesome, thanks! Definitely something to do in the future. Links would be appreciated, as I seem to be finding the occasional conversion kit but mainly shopping links. For now, I just need to get it in half-decent shape.
I skimped on the xB calipers and just got Echo rotors separate from the pads for the time being. Drilled and slotted Echo rotors, pads, ball joint, cabin air filter, s&h...
$171.
Holy shit, these parts are cheap. I love it. And the xB is very similar, so my friend already knows exactly what to do.

Seems they make a "drum in disc" conversion system. The rear wheel hub on the xB is the same as the Echo.
Scion xA 2004-2006
Scion xB 2004-2006
Toyota Echo 2000-2005

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.