Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scotty Kilmer moved less than an hour away from me but I can't get an appointment because he's to busy roaming the country.

So, let's see if Toyota nation can do what Scotty can't.

2011 Camry. 4 cyl 2.5 motor. 6 speed transmission. 2ARFE engine. 230,000 miles.

I began using it as a courier service vehicle in April and since then I've noticed these issues;

1) Clackty clack sound - like it's running on cheap gas.

2) Left front brake intermittently squeaks and the steering wheel vibrates when brakes are applied strongly. (warped rotors?)

3) Re-circulation is not working on the AC unit. Push the button - light comes on but re-circulation doesn't kick in. The outside odors are noticeable and the AC doesn't fully cool because the recirc doesn't kick in. (actuator door?)

I average 700-1,000 miles a week.

I have a notebook page full of parts and services I did to the car after I bought it in Oct of last year including new tires and a 4 wheel alignment, plugs, air filter, cabin filter, cleaning MAF sensor, new radiator fluid, oil and some cosmetic stuff. Other than slight disappointment with the gas mileage and excessive wind noise from around the doors I'm happy with the purchase.

The 3 issues outlined above are my main areas of concern and suspected causes.
Any suggestions on how to fix are appreciated. (I bought new pads and rotors today for upcoming installation)

Can Toyota Nation help out when Scotty Kilmer fails?

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Avalon Limited W/Premium Package +
590 Posts
@Vangm25 beat me to it. Scotty's full of shit and when have you seen him do anything except wave like a puppet and scream. where's his shop? Nowhere. He's just an annoying hot air balloon. Oh and Someone should tie the dude up and lock him in a trunk so he can't pop out of one.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
X3. Scotty has a large YouTube following but he’s a kook. Surely you have a reputable mechanic closer than an hour away from where you live. Ask friends or if none of them use someone check social media. I’d always take social media referrals with a grain of salt though.

·
11,604 Posts
@Vangm25 beat me to it. Scotty's full of shit and when have you seen him do anything except wave like a puppet and scream. where's his shop? Nowhere. He's just an annoying hot air balloon. Oh and Someone should tie the dude up and lock him in a trunk so he can't pop out of one.
:LOL: In his defense he is up there in age for a mechanic, so he's not going to be doing too much twisting, turning, bending and stooping. If you notice, he has not been seen under the car. The closest he has been that I have seen, was loooking at the Tundra one of his realtives bought, and that was due to it being on big tires.

·
11,604 Posts
X3. Scotty has a large YouTube following but he’s a kook. Surely you have a reputable mechanic closer than an hour away from where you live. Ask friends or if none of them use someone check social media. I’d always take social media referrals with a grain of salt though.

Easier said then done, referring to your second sentence.

·
Registered
590 Posts
:LOL: In his defense he is up there in age for a mechanic, so he's not going to be doing too much twisting, turning, bending and stooping. If you notice, he has not been seen under the car. The closest he has been that I have seen, was loooking at the Tundra one of his realtives bought, and that was due to it being on big tires.
Well for a guy that talks and moves like he's wired on meth I doubt doing work rather than talking about it would be that hard. I'd like to ring his bell but not like he wants is to :cool:

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord
151 Posts
If you had gotten an appointment with Scotty, you'd have to be on the lookout afterwards for his next video, starring your car, and some type of clickbait title!

·
straight cash homie
21,706 Posts
He'll only do stuff if he is filming it. It makes more money than actual wrenching nowadays..I'd ask the Car Care Nut instead.

Scotty isn't the only guy that knows the car...I wish people wouldn't be so gullible and think he is the only guy that knows Toyotas, and fall for his shtick. Scotty preys on people who need that "expert" to validate their opinions and views, which is pretty much just buy a Toyota and forget about it.

·
Registered
Vehicle Pending
12,612 Posts
He'll only do stuff if he is filming it. It makes more money than actual wrenching nowadays..I'd ask the Car Care Nut instead.

Scotty isn't the only guy that knows the car...I wish people wouldn't be so gullible and think he is the only guy that knows Toyotas, and fall for his shtick. Scotty preys on people who need that "expert" to validate their opinions and views, which is pretty much just buy a Toyota and forget about it.
"Expert" is always questionable. CarCareNut is definitely an expert, S&E's Garage (aka BlackCamSe) is definitely an expert.

Scotty is the type of "expert" that people who think buying random useless car gizmos increases their MPG.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scotty Kilmer moved less than an hour away from me but I can't get an appointment because he's to busy roaming the country.

So, let's see if Toyota nation can do what Scotty can't.

2011 Camry. 4 cyl 2.5 motor. 6 speed transmission. 2ARFE engine. 230,000 miles.

I began using it as a courier service vehicle in April and since then I've noticed these issues;

1) Clackty clack sound - like it's running on cheap gas.

2) Left front brake intermittently squeaks and the steering wheel vibrates when brakes are applied strongly. (warped rotors?)

3) Re-circulation is not working on the AC unit. Push the button - light comes on but re-circulation doesn't kick in. The outside odors are noticeable and the AC doesn't fully cool because the recirc doesn't kick in. (actuator door?)

I average 700-1,000 miles a week.

I have a notebook page full of parts and services I did to the car after I bought it in Oct of last year including new tires and a 4 wheel alignment, plugs, air filter, cabin filter, cleaning MAF sensor, new radiator fluid, oil and some cosmetic stuff. Other than slight disappointment with the gas mileage and excessive wind noise from around the doors I'm happy with the purchase.

The 3 issues outlined above are my main areas of concern and suspected causes.
Any suggestions on how to fix are appreciated. (I bought new pads and rotors today for upcoming installation)

Can Toyota Nation help out when Scotty Kilmer fails?
Ok, so Scotty's a kook. But 9 replies so far and no-one can address the issues with the car - beyond advising me to do what I've already done and I've listed in the post? So much for Toyota Nation. I use to get great recommendations and ideas from this site 5-6 yrs ago but every time I post here for the last couple of years I don't get that. It seems the quality of responses has declined.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord
151 Posts
Ok ok, well #2 does sound like warped rotors to me. They'll cause a vibration when braking (all types of braking), so yours might be early in the warping process.

We need more info on #1. Where is the sound coming from, and under what conditions? Is it the A/C? Is it the engine?
Also, on the subject of cheap gas... are you already using a top tier gas?

Reactions: LLH

·
Registered
Vehicle Pending
12,612 Posts
Ok, so Scotty's a kook. But 9 replies so far and no-one can address the issues with the car - beyond advising me to do what I've already done and I've listed in the post? So much for Toyota Nation. I use to get great recommendations and ideas from this site 5-6 yrs ago but every time I post here for the last couple of years I don't get that. It seems the quality of responses has declined.
Can be anything, can be everything. You do the basics. I already gave you an answer to what you asked.

If anything, best to make a new thread or change the title of this thread so that scotty is not the focus of your issue.

·
Official PITA
'05 Solara 'Vert & '07 ES350
1,133 Posts
Agree. Once you mention Scotty here, you're asking for polarized responses. New thread, and be certain to include what car, year, engine & mileage, as well as symptoms.
But, you knew all that. 🍰

·
11,604 Posts

I'm sorry you feel this way, These are very helpful and knowledgeable members here, that have given you some good suggestions to try to solve your issues.

#1 You don't mention if the engine hesitates, stalls, feels like it's down on power etc.
#2 I think you have your answer with the warped rotors
#3 I think you have it. sounds like a problem with the actuator system.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know this might seem like a silly question but regarding issue #1 is the check engine light on? If so why?

·
straight cash homie
21,706 Posts
"Expert" is always questionable. CarCareNut is definitely an expert, S&E's Garage (aka BlackCamSe) is definitely an expert.

Scotty is the type of "expert" that people who think buying random useless car gizmos increases their MPG.
That's the thing...there are probably hundreds if not thousands of small channels that are better but someone would need do a more thorough search to find them. And many times, it is very specific to a certain vehicle, which isn't going to be widely search or be as popular. For Toyotas, they are a definitely a popular car that many people own and owners like us will seek someone that has the knowledge. I've not heard of S&E, but just googling it, it does look interesting but it isn't something I will seek out to watch if I'm not looking for the answer or experience the issue.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I must state you setup the thread for it to take on a life of it's own!

Title of thread: "Scotty Kilmer's blowing me off."
First thing that came to mind was: "Is he bragging about it or what?" o_O
Second thing was i had a flashback to this:
"Ya know, back in my day, Blowing a tranny, meant car trouble."
Then 2nd post gave you direction when @Vangm25 replied.
Ok so he didn't take you by the hand and babysit you.

If you want a Scotty Kilmer diagnosis look up one of his videos and buy the best scanner he promoting.

if you've been around for years as you say you know how things work. I agree with the concept of "There's no stupid question" but there's such a thing as a stupid description of an issue "Clackty clack sound" like are you serious? Do you know how many things can make "Clackty clack sounds" in a car?

BTW your profile states Joined Mar 26, 2020 - 13 Posts.... Not a very active community member and with the amount of posts on this site the search bar should have been sufficient to find what you were looking for. This is a group help forum not a hold you hand and do the work for you site.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
2,010 Posts
A thousand miles a week on a vehicle with 230,000 miles on it? Clackty-clack from engine, most likely coming from under valve cover where sixteen valves are being actuated through lifters that wear. I presume I4 valves are adjusted that way.Good luck finding a kit used to make valve adjustment. Many dealers have never seen one. HVAC recirc step motor may have failed or perhaps the vane is jammed or perhaps door is jammed. Access this component by removing glove compartment door. Prepare yourself for a pita. Brake component have probably been replaced several times with that mileage so anything is possible. Some individuals working on cars know what they are doing and some don't. Check run-out of disc with a dial indicator. Check pads for unusual wear pattern and build up . Check hub to disc surface for corrosion that could affect rotor run-out. Go for it pardner.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts