Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A thousand miles a week on a vehicle with 230,000 miles on it? Clackty-clack from engine, most likely coming from under valve cover where sixteen valves are being actuated through lifters that wear. I presume I4 valves are adjusted that way.Good luck finding a kit used to make valve adjustment. Many dealers have never seen one. HVAC recirc step motor may have failed or perhaps the vane is jammed or perhaps door is jammed. Access this component by removing glove compartment door. Prepare yourself for a pita. Brake component have probably been replaced several times with that mileage so anything is possible. Some individuals working on cars know what they are doing and some don't. Check run-out of disc with a dial indicator. Check pads for unusual wear pattern and build up . Check hub to disc surface for corrosion that could affect rotor run-out. Go for it pardner.
Thanks for the info on the HVAC. I found something called the Blend Door Actuator that opens/closes the vents or doors to the different areas of the unit but there seem to be 2 or 3 of them and each one operates different vents/doors in the system. I'll keep digging.

·
11,602 Posts
He'll only do stuff if he is filming it. It makes more money than actual wrenching nowadays..I'd ask the Car Care Nut instead.

Scotty isn't the only guy that knows the car...I wish people wouldn't be so gullible and think he is the only guy that knows Toyotas, and fall for his shtick. Scotty preys on people who need that "expert" to validate their opinions and views, which is pretty much just buy a Toyota and forget about it.

I think many tune in for the hand gestures and the overall "silliness" Car nut is very good and enjoyable.

·
11,602 Posts
Well for a guy that talks and moves like he's wired on meth I doubt doing work rather than talking about it would be that hard. I'd like to ring his bell but not like he wants is to :cool:
Maybe he feels the hadn gestures help get his point across. I know when he does a Youtube livestream he has more questions then he can answer. :)

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Avalon Limited W/Premium Package +
563 Posts
Maybe he feels the hadn gestures help get his point across. I know when he does a Youtube livestream he has more questions then he can answer. :)
:ROFLMAO: If I moved my hands that much in a short clip and screamed at 100 MPH like he does I'd be back in in ER on cardiac protocol. Maybe they edit out when he's out of breath?

·
11,602 Posts
Yes he did. One of the few. This blog hasn't become totally useless, just more than it use to be.
All members who have posted here have tried to help you. Your car is 10 or 11 years old, things are bound to need repair even on a Toyota, Your miles per week maybe even more then what a typical transit bus does. I hope that you can solve these issues and that the members who offered suggestions on where to look are of help to you.:)

·
11,602 Posts
:ROFLMAO: If I moved my hands that much in a short clip and screamed at 100 MPH like he does I'd be back in in ER on cardiac protocol. Maybe they edit out when he's out of breath?
Lol hopefully not, If you read one of his past books he did mention when he helped someone test driving a used car he hung out the window, I guess listening for noises, Lol

·
Registered
Vehicle Pending
12,536 Posts
Lol hopefully not, If you read one of his past books he did mention when he helped someone test driving a used car he hung out the window, I guess listening for noises, Lol
GoPro and a heavy duty magnet is underrated. Though I won't chance my GoPro hanging underneath the car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
LOL On car talk radio Ray used to joke about tying Tom to the hood of the car to listen for noises.

Anyway, back on topic for a second. Since I never got an answer to my previous question, regarding issue # 1, is the check engine light on or not? That's something Scotty Kilmer (or any other mechanic) might want to know on that particular issue.

Also, did the clackity clack noise occur at the same or similar time as issue # 1 ?

·
Registered
Vehicle Pending
12,536 Posts
Honestly speaking, if I had to choose some Youtuber to choose where I get my service from I need to know where they do their work. I am sure there are plenty of solo Youtuber's who are great but if they are a one man team and their yard then asking them to service your vehicle when there is a long line before you even get to them is just a bad idea. Now compare this to some Youtuber's who work (or worked) at a dealership, CarCareNut being a good example. I am willing to trust his dealership to work on my vehicle, he may not be the one working on it but at least it may be trustworthy. There are some other Youtuber's who actually run a shop, they are ones I would go to because even if they are not the ones working on my vehicle, they may at least be associated with those who will. As far as I am concerned, Scotty is a one man show in his driveway.

The lesson from all of this, find a good auto shop and develop a good relationship. DIY is almost always cheaper except when it isn't.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Seems OP's quite rude and nasty post directed at me was deleted.
I was going to respond politely with some basic simple facts.

There are a whole bunch of extremely helpful people here that contribute an enormous amount of valuable time and information and then there's the few that show up demanding answers without giving anything back to the community. This isn't Facebook or Twitter.

That's what makes the forum a tad unsatisfactory to the few that don't like the responses they get when all they do is show up and demand help never giving back. And post comments about the forum which triggers certain responses from those that actually participate actively to help.

So you can call me names all you want let's analyze your history of threads and posts including responses and the time frame involved in your recent need to join for a third time: ( I like pictures and screen shots). These were taken around the time of your nasty insulting post @webbyjk

Just under 15 months. 13 replies and I checked they were all related ONLY to your questions. And no like reactions to your posts.

There are people with thousands of posts with only a few discussions created and a whole bunch of likes but since this was you and me I'll post my stats that pale in comparison to many many others:

so you be the judge? Sure many likes are for funny responses but considering I'm a middle of the line liberal and took on a debate with the far right on the political thread during the Presidential election that definitely didn't help to win me many likes LOL. So I must be helping a little bit since I have posted 491 replies and generated 402 likes. Only started 10 threads in 8 months. Not bragging only contradicting your comments.

So you get back what you give and when you set yourself up by not being an active contributor and judging the forum, hence active members you set yourself up for a response accordingly. I stand by my comments in the post you attacked me about. And when I have been out of line I have been warned. ONLY ONCE. And this is one time where someone higher up was the one to delete it even before I could quote it to respond.

Although an apology would be the proper thing to do on your behalf and not only to me but to the community for the comments you made regarding the forum. It doesn't matter to me whether you do or not,
Don't like it here you are not forced to stay. But you are expected to respect others and the rules if you do.

·
Registered
563 Posts
LOL On car talk radio Ray used to joke about tying Tom to the hood of the car to listen for noises.
LOL
That reminds me of a Quebec French movie years back starring 2 very popular comedians "Ding and Dong" They're off to do a series of comedy routines in the middle of nowhere in North Western Quebec and the driver picks them up in a beetle loaded with stuff and no room to move and a moose or a deer tied to the hood or the roof (been so long can't remember) so the guy in the back seat says I need to get out of here there's no room....
Next scene the kill is in the back seat and he's tied up on the car. Now let's not forget it's an old school VW beetle. Some things are funnier at the moment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
LOL
That reminds me of a Quebec French movie years back starring 2 very popular comedians "Ding and Dong" They're off to do a series of comedy routines in the middle of nowhere in North Western Quebec and the driver picks them up in a beetle loaded with stuff and no room to move and a moose or a deer tied to the hood or the roof (been so long can't remember) so the guy in the back seat says I need to get out of here there's no room....
Next scene the kill is in the back seat and he's tied up on the car. Now let's not forget it's an old school VW beetle. Some things are funnier at the moment.
Never saw it, sounds interesting though. I used to have a huge C band sat dish years ago that I was able to pick up Canadian TV feeds on it . I got hooked on the Red Green show, and laughed at some of the stuff that host did with car or house repairs or mods. He was really a fan of duct tape. 😄 The older I get the more I physically resemble that guy.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I got hooked on the Red Green show, and laughed at some of the stuff that host did with car or house repairs or mods. He was really a fan of duct tape. 😄 The older I get the more I physically resemble that guy.
Man I miss that show :) The things they made and patched with duct tape was hilarious. And remember: "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

I guess he'd be considered a Canadian versions of an American hillbilly... If duct tape tape don't fix it, use more duct tape.

·
11,602 Posts

Anyway, back on topic for a second. Since I never got an answer to my previous question, regarding issue # 1, is the check engine light on or not? That's something Scotty Kilmer (or any other mechanic) might want to know on that particular issue.

Also, did the clackity clack noise occur at the same or similar time as issue # 1 ?
I remember that. That sure was funny. lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wouldn't have him do work on my car even if it was freee.
  1. Do an oil change
  2. Check your brakes
  3. Determine blower modes are working
I have a 2005 4runner with 160,000 miles. The AC systems need to be rebuilt after ten years. Try a new Evaporator core and a new compressor and you will get ice-cold AC again. Freon refills every month is a waste of time.

Use professional shop for the job. Mine cost me $880, but I'm ice cold for months so far.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
2,010 Posts
Thanks for the info on the HVAC. I found something called the Blend Door Actuator that opens/closes the vents or doors to the different areas of the unit but there seem to be 2 or 3 of them and each one operates different vents/doors in the system. I'll keep digging.
Mode door (1), Blend door (2) and recirc door (3) Mode and blend actuators are on either side of HVAC housing(you can see the Mode actuator if you look above the inlet/outlet coolant pipes) above and to right of throttle pedal.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts