Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Camry SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 09 camry SE. Has anyone ever started their car and had garbled display on their jbl premium system? It went away after i stopped the car and started it again. Is this a symptom of a deeper problem that I should get looked at before warranty is up?

·
2007 Camry SE V6
790 Posts
There have been several threads about this in the past, but it is unfortunate to hear that this problem is continuing with the 2009s. The problem(s) will only get worse. Take it to the dealership and have them replace the head unit under warranty. My car had the same problem but after they replaced the head unit, everything has been fine (so far).

·
Streaker
2013 Sunset Bronze T
1,804 Posts
Boy, Toyota has some learning curve since the Gen. 6 came on the scene. They seem to be caring more about profits then production remedies.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Boy, Toyota has some learning curve since the Gen. 6 came on the scene. They seem to be caring more about profits then production remedies.
They don't make the head units...............

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
My car is a 09 camry SE. Has anyone ever started their car and had garbled display on their jbl premium system? It went away after i stopped the car and started it again. Is this a symptom of a deeper problem that I should get looked at before warranty is up?
I had this problem on my 07. In addition, sometimes the radio display would go out completely. The dealer eventually replaced the system under warranty about 6 months ago and neither problem has returned so far. Take your car to the dealership.

Mike

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
Cutting costs.... I think it's happening.

But then, every manufacturer is doing it. I read an article earlier about how Detroit had been doing it for the last decade and more because their costs were so high (Union and Legacy). And equivalent engine from Toyota would weigh less, be more reliable, more efficient, and be cheaper to manufacture than the Engine from Ford or GM.

They basically used the cheapest parts they could find. You see it everywhere - regular second brake lights instead of LED ones, non-projector headlights, poor interior quality, heavy heavy cars (they still have this problem).

And Now? Toyota is following suite. You just need to take one look at an interior of a Camry to see how far they've been cutting corners.

These days, it feels like if you want anything with a sense of quality, it has to be a $50 thousand car.

·
2007 Camry SE V6
790 Posts

But then, every manufacturer is doing it. I read an article earlier about how Detroit had been doing it for the last decade and more because their costs were so high (Union and Legacy). And equivalent engine from Toyota would weigh less, be more reliable, more efficient, and be cheaper to manufacture than the Engine from Ford or GM.

They basically used the cheapest parts they could find. You see it everywhere - regular second brake lights instead of LED ones, non-projector headlights, poor interior quality, heavy heavy cars (they still have this problem).

And Now? Toyota is following suite. You just need to take one look at an interior of a Camry to see how far they've been cutting corners.

These days, it feels like if you want anything with a sense of quality, it has to be a $50 thousand car.
Actually, even $50k cars have a lot of quality control and reliability issues. Mercedes ranks among the lowest in many reliability ratings charts and (with the exception of Lexus), many other luxury brands are around the same. As manufacturers continue to cram more bells and whistles into their cars, they are bound to become less reliable because it just means more stuff can go wrong...

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts

Of course, take it to the dealer and have them look at it or get it replaced. If it happened once, it's most likely to happen again.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
They don't make the head units...............
Yeah, we know that, that's why it's called JBL. Lot of the parts in a Toyota car is not made by Toyota but that doesn't mean it won't reflect poorly on Toyota if a part (not made by Toyota) keeps failing.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts

The JBL stereo most likely was built China, like most electronics these days.

I think another reason reliability may be slipping these days is because cars are also so complex these days compared to the 70, 80, and 90's for example, when Toyota reliability was #1. Back in those days, cars were simple, no fancy electronic gadgets, so obviously less things to go wrong.

Toyota's use to be all built from Japan as well. Those days are gone.

As for a 50,000 car having better quality, it depends how you define quality. If quality = reliability, then I would not agree with you 100%. A $18,000 Corolla will be more reliable than a $50,000 Mercedes, BMW, etc. or a $300,000 Ferrari for that matter.

·
Registered
2009 Camry SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OH BOB SAGET! The dealership won't do anything since they can't reproduce the issue. I understand that stance but at the same time I really don't want to be HOPING for my radio to fail before the warranty is up. I told them if it happened again i'd try to take a picture.

·
2007 Camry SE V6
790 Posts
OH BOB SAGET! The dealership won't do anything since they can't reproduce the issue. I understand that stance but at the same time I really don't want to be HOPING for my radio to fail before the warranty is up. I told them if it happened again i'd try to take a picture.
Unfortunately I had the same problem. Basically I had to take the car in four different times until they finally acknowledged the problem. I don't know what to suggest other than try to take pictures with your camera phone, then email them to yourself and specific service manager at your dealership.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Try taking a picture of it when it happens, especially if you have one of those camera phones. Take the picture somehow to indicate it is from YOUR car, perhaps something in the background.

·
COROLLA OWNERS SINCE 1981
2009 COROLLA XRS SIL
20 Posts
My wife called me tonight, saying her JBL radio in the XRS was all garbled, had foreign type letting, car has 92K I do have the extended warranty till 100K does it cover the radio, and yes I will have to have the wife take a picture of it when it happens, most likely when I get home tonight and try it, the radio work work fine till it does it again.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i had the same exact problem in my 07 SE. i took it to the dealership and they replaced it and no porblems since. I had pictures and videos of when the issue of the headunit kept appearing. Hope it works out for you. good luck.

·
COROLLA OWNERS SINCE 1981
2009 COROLLA XRS SIL
20 Posts
When I got home last night, I went and checked the radio, only to find it was working again, I even came prepared with a camera and I was going to make a video of it. My wife told just before she got home last night, the radio display started working again, she did not re-start the car, the radio just did itself. I will continue to check and have camera ready in case it does it again, I know it will do it again just a matter of time??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used 2009 XLE V6 with the JBL premium audio two weeks ago, and experienced the scramble for the first time today. After reading this thread I went back out to car to check on it, and all is well now. Fingers crossed it either doesn't come back again, or that it does before my Carmax warranty expires and I can get it on camera next time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It will continue to happen and get worse. Get it replaced. My local Toyota dealer replaced mine. They saw it when it was blanked out. The 6-CD chnager was not operating correctly when it happened so it's not just the display.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My '03 v6 4Runner Ltd. w/JBL & multi-CD changer had been shutting off, though not showing a scrambled display. Other forums have documented (even across the entire Toyota platform):

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/audio-electronics/1413-radio-stopped-working.html

To rehash: early in the drive NO SOUND from radio or CD player. Radio stays powered & all controls work just NO SOUND. Shutting the radio on then off (while driving) did not help. Radio was replaced with a JVC (HD) radio but the problem persists & seems to be worsening. Drove the garage-kept car today on a warm day (77F) and within 2 miles of home, the new radio shut off again. This is happening almost daily. The only solution is restarting the car then the problem goes away for the current day.

Question: Has there been a definitive solution outlined on this or any other forum? Is it the factory amplifier? I would go to Best Buy & replace the amp & possibly upgrade the speakers if I knew it would work. I plan to keep this car unless and until Toyota sells the new 4Runner in gold again or the Sandy Beach Metallic color. Thanks for your replies. Ron

1 - 20 of 20 Posts